Wiring... A Repeat Topic But ~

Chris P.

So as I read the tape wiring manual, it appears that I have to put the wallpaper and flooring in after I wire? Is that right? If so, how does that flooring get in there and how to wallpaper that tiny enclosed front hallway after the Lily is assembled? The floor plan and wall shapes look tricky enough.

I understand making templates of the walls and floors first, but not so certain how to get the wallpaper and flooring in there after building.

Yeesh! Just thinking about putting the wiring in gives me the heebie jeebies, much less how to get the flooring and papering in after the build.

:blowup:

My head hurts!

post-6356-0-83964300-1374261618_thumb.jp

post-6356-0-47107900-1374261664_thumb.jp

I think the lily would be a complicated house to electrify. There are so many chicken & egg scenarios with wiring. If anyone has done it, I'd love to know how they routed the tape wire or even round wires. You might need to think about having two starting sources of power, to make the route easier, and having less connections/splices. I'm sure you can do it, it will just need an extra bit of planning :)

Thanks, April. The tape wire directions show how to go through the stair wells. The schematics look like they would work. I don't understand how to get the paper and flooring in post build. At the moment, I keep studying the manual and studying the space.

I understand making templates of the walls and floors first, but not so certain how to get the wallpaper and flooring in there after building.

You put it in before. Do one floor at a time, remove that second floor - that will give you the room you need to get your hands in there to paper the first floor. When that's done replace the 2nd floor and paper the area that looks like its a hallway/back room -THEN put up the wall that creates that "back hall/room space and paper it. Then place the third floor.

I think I have some pics I can send you.

• Like 1

When I did mine I wired it, wallpapered and floored and then put it together. Takes a little planning. During dry fit draw where you want wires, outlets, lights, etc to go. Take apart and then create as many "circuits" as you need i.e. one for left wall, one for right wall, one for middle stairway/hall, etc. Leave excess wire and connect all to a multi outlet plug under the floor after assembly. Not as complicated as it sounds!

• Like 1

Ditto what Doc said, that's exactly how you do it . I found a pic, it's not that clear but the first floor is papered and wired. The room on the right has beige paper so it's hard to see. The room on the left has pink paper so you see a little better. As Doc described you can see the tape and my lamps for the first floor (ceiling) hanging off the side walls waiting for the 2nd floor to be installed so they can be attached. Planning ahead is everything, you must leave yourself enough tape AND if you tape on the walls you can place paper PARTIALLY, glue in place on one end - attach your tapewire and then continue to glue down the wallpaper as you go around the room.

post-4992-0-26404200-1374267331_thumb.jp

• Like 1

You put it in before. Do one floor at a time, remove that second floor - that will give you the room you need to get your hands in there to paper the first floor. When that's done replace the 2nd floor and paper the area that looks like its a hallway/back room -THEN put up the wall that creates that "back hall/room space and paper it. Then place the third floor.

I think I have some pics I can send you.

Judith, I would love that! I just can't quite picture how that works with the tape wiring. Visuals are really helpful.

Thank you!

When I did mine I wired it, wallpapered and floored and then put it together. Takes a little planning. During dry fit draw where you want wires, outlets, lights, etc to go. Take apart and then create as many "circuits" as you need i.e. one for left wall, one for right wall, one for middle stairway/hall, etc. Leave excess wire and connect all to a multi outlet plug under the floor after assembly. Not as complicated as it sounds!

Perry, do you have some pics? I am trying to imagine having it apart, and wiring the walls before assembling them. The directions in the brochure look like all of the wires are attached to each other and run through the house.

Since you haven't started wiring yet it's even easier. Don't cut your tape wire or use the brads. Use the continuous tape method, and fold the tape to change directions. It does mean that you will have to control a roll of tape as you work, but it will solve the "how to" problem I'll send you a picture.

• Like 1

post-4992-0-00590100-1374293030_thumb.jppost-4992-0-00364400-1374293057_thumb.jppost-4992-0-09118100-1374293085_thumb.jp

In the last photo I actually took the tape out the window so it could be run under the porch roof once I glued it on so I could attach a porch light. I continued it down the porch, around to the front for another porch light, and then brought it back down the porch and back in through the same window to continue up the wall to the second floor for the electrical on that level. One continuous run of tape for the whole house. The only exceptions are the two areas where I installed off/on wall switches - those had to be run separately.

• Like 1

Don't have any pics but once you connect the various "circuits" they become electrically one wire. Kinda like diagramming a sentence if you ever done that. You have the main idea and the various branches but they are all connected. If you need some more info or help let me know and I will round up a diagram or two.

• 6 months later...

This question and these responses are very helpful! I'm trying to work out how to wire my Lily now, and I have two related questions. (I hope it's okay to ask here…I'm new to forums!)

First, where did people attach their junction splice on the Lily?

Second, should you protect any tape wire that runs behind a partition wall or around a corner with something like electrical tape? I'm really worried about damaging my wiring as I install the partition walls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated--thanks! :shy:

I didn't wire my Lily but I have a couple sources of information with lots of pictures that might help. The first is the Lily building team blog here http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=blog&module=display&section=blog&blogid=14 I can't remember if anyone wired theirs, but there are certainly tons of pictures of the Lily from just about every angle and in every step of building. The biggest thing to remember about that house is that once you put the walls up, there's no getting back into the foyer/stairs area so you need to make sure your wallpaper, paint, decor, and wiring are the way you want them to be before you put that wall up. If I were wiring a Lily now, I'd probably hard wire that area and put it on its own power strip and transformer. That way if anything ever shorts out in that area, all you lose are those lights instead of everything else.

The second resource is the Gazette's issue on everything you wanted to know about wiring a dollhouse but were afraid to ask. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/FEB2009/Greenleaf-Dollhouse-Kits-FEB-2009.html There are lots of different ways to light up a dollhouse and the Lily is a very special dollhouse so you might need to customize your own style with it. Don't be afraid to try hybrid wiring or to use a little bit of both. I greatly prefer hard wiring a house over tape wire, but that's a matter of personal preference. It all depends on what works best for you.

Oh, as for where to put the junction splice on a Lily, I'd suggest under the porch by the back door. There's a small piece of lattice there which could be removable to access the splice if you need to.

Deb

• Like 1

Havanaholly and Model Team/Deb, do you put LED or battery operated lights into your dollhouses?

My first attempt at wiring is not going well at all. I can't get the first circuit to work, and I don't know if I was sold a crummy kit (it's a houseworks kit, and it looks old…the tape wire's peeling off and it's only been attached one day!) or if it's just one component that's not working. I'm tempted to cut my losses on the Lily and try to use whatever I have left to retrofit one of my old houses and just LEDs for this one.
I haven't seen a lot of supplies for hardwiring here in Canada (we have a lot more limited supplies here, lol!) but maybe I will look into that.
Thanks again for all of your help! Have a great weekend :)

Is your junction splice inserted directly into the tape or did you insert brads into the wall and insert the splice into the brads? If directly into brads, bend the pins outward a little so they are really tight against the brad walls.