Wiring... A Repeat Topic But ~

Chris P.

Thank you for your advice, Sable! I followed it and it made the lead in wire sit a bit better in the junction splice. I finally discovered the problem after about two weeks of frustration…faulty circuit tester! Lol…newbie wiring mistake!

I got the main circuit to work, but none of my secondary circuits worked at all. But it's a start! Thank you, everyone.

Havanaholly and Model Team/Deb, do you put LED or battery operated lights into your dollhouses?

I'm sorry I didn't see your question sooner Mary Ellen. I've used LED lights for ambient lighting in some of my houses but that was more along the lines of mounting a light bar up under the eaves or rafters to shed light into dark corners. Personally, after tape wiring my first house and then hard wiring the next one, I became a true fan of hard wiring because it worked best with my building style. To break it down into a basic description: Your mini light fixtures all have a small plug on the end of the wire just like a real lamp does. When you hard wire a house, you leave the plug on the wire and simply plug it into outlets that are basically extension cords that plug into the power strip---or if the wires are long enough, you can just plug the light directly into the power strip. (Wires can also be lengthened with a simple process of splicing and using plastic shrink tubes to cover the splice.) The power strip looks and works just like a real life power strip. It connects via two screws to the power supply/transformer that you plug into your real life electrical outlet. The only challenge is figuring out where to hide the wires so they can't be seen. If you'll read the Gazette issue in the link I provided in my last post, you'll find articles there that give the basics of wiring and one article devoted to how to hard wire a house using the elements I just described, including pictures of the hardware and how to remove and replace the plugs in order to snake wires under and around things. Everyone has their own favorite way of wiring a house and for me the hard wire method is what works best since I decorate my houses before I assemble them.

Hope that helps!

Deb