Wallpaper Question

Bluehighways

I received my wallpaper today. It is sheets of paper. I guess in my mind I thought it would be more like real wallpaper, in a roll? I ordered from Itsy Bitsy and Dejoux Dollhouse mini's. When it comes time to put into dollshouse, I use wallpaper paste? :bangin:

I use rubber cement. Cut the paper to fit. Don't cut out the door or window holes for easier handling. Use a template; make one by pressing newsprint or tissue or typing paper against the wall and pressing into the corners. Put one coat of rubber cement on the primed wall and another coat on the wallpaper. Sort of roll the paper into place. If it goes in a bit crooked, gently peel it away and do over.

No mess as with wet pastes.

As you can see from this and the above, there's more than one way to hang paper in a doll house!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use ModPodge. Its a good idea to spray both sides of that paper with a sealer.

Responding to you here because I didn't want to start a new thread and wasn't sure where else this has been talked about, but you said you used modpodge for your wallpaper. How did that work out for you? Before reading up on dollhouses more I was intending to buy some of that scrap booking deco paper you see at Micheal's and places (because I saw some pretty old wallpaper styles that I thought would work well) and since I use modpodge in my art sometimes, I figured I could apply the paper to the walls with that... Does it work well or does the surface of the paper require a fixative spray afterwards, in your experience? I wanted to make sure this was a good idea before I bother getting supplies for it...

Edited by beyourpet

Brittanie, its always worked for me. Some people prime the walls first with regular interior house paint ( I usually don't). Since I like the old aged look I don't have to adhere to the same techniques you would use if youre going for a pristine perfect dollhouse look. Ive never had a prob, just covering the bare walls (one section at a time) with the modpodge. have the paper already cut to size and rest it down on the mp, carefully smoothing it out. If the paper is on the thinner side you might want to spray it with a sealer first.

I use premixed regular wallpaper paste from the hardware store. If you put a touch of whatever paste/ adhesive you want to use on a part of the paper you can trim off later, using a liner or other small paint brush, and let it dry, you can tell if you will want to spray it with sealer first. I do paper over primed walls; if I;m going to grunge it up I want to start as pristine as I can stand it and gruunge from there.

Some miniature shops do still carry mini wallpaper in rolls. Hobby Lobby for example does. I am glad it comes in sheets now because having to keep paper from rolling up on you in such small spaces, can be frustrating.

You can use real wallpaper paste, same as you would use for real life wallpaper or you can get wallpaper mucilage from a miniatures store or even Yes Paste or ModPodge from a craft store to adhere it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...