How many houses do you have?

Lisa_F

I know we've touched on this subject before about how many dollhouses/kits everyone has, but I was kind of curious - how many houses do you have that are built - not still sitting as kits in their boxes? And how many dollhouses do you see your ultimate collection being?

I have several kits here - truth is, none of them (for me) are built yet - I've been *practicing* on a few that will be gifts this Christmas :D and once I finish those I plan to start on building/putting together my collection.

But even with the considerable collection of kits I have built up here - there are still others that I keep adding to my *must have someday* list. And most of these are fairly large houses.

Am I nuts - or is it perfectly normal to want more houses than my regular size house can hold?

How many houses are -or will eventually be - in your home?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since my enjoyment comes mostly from building and finishing (brickwork, stonework, stucco, siding, etc) the dollhouse, as soon as I am done with one, I sell it so that I can buy another kit. I don't have enough income to buy kits otherwise. I used to be into the furniture and miniature accessories but I just had to choose building or buying furniture and the building won out. That said, I do actually have the Aster Cottage half built...it's going to be my Santa house with the wave roof. When I eventually get that one done, it will be mine and come out at Christmas time. If I ever have enough money, I would like to buy the Pierce or Garfield and take my time finishing the exterior and finishing the interior with wallpaper, flooring, baseboards, cornices, etc. But, again, at the end of such a project, I might want to do another one and so I would sell the big one to get another big one.

I just got my Linfield kit this afternoon! I have the foundation put together and now getting to the walls. I hope to sell it in about a month (after many hours of fun putting it together) and buy a couple more to sell on Craigs List for Christmas.

Well, lets see--I'm fairly new and I have completed 2, have one 95% finished and one that my nephew gave me that still needs some renovating. But I also have 2 big one in the boxes waiting to be built. So it is not unusual to keep adding kits.

This addiction hobby catches you real quick. :D

Am I nuts - or is it perfectly normal to want more houses than my regular size house can hold?

How many houses are -or will eventually be - in your home?

On this particular site, you're perfectly normal. As far as the outside world is concerned, we're normal until we start to talk about our dollhouses and miniatures.

How many houses will I eventually have? Hmmmm, I don't see an end in sight at the moment.

-Susanne

Ummmmmmmm.........hang on. <grabbing a note pad and pen and walking thru the house>

Let's see................in the den, there's the Samurai's Summer House (coventry cottage) in the middle of the room. On a shelf on the other side of the room, there's a sugarplum, an orchid and a buttercup. In the living room, the Pierce gets place of honor coz she's my baby. I've also got the Witches House (orchid) and the Librarian's Cottage (haunted house) and the Faerie Cottage (aster). Oh, and a Laurel. There will be a Primrose Santa House joining them tomorrow when I get it finished.

The ones that live with me permanently are the Pierce, the Samurai's House, the Faerie Cottage, the Librarian's Cottage and the Witches house. I've got a Glencroft (Wizard's House) in dry fit that's "mine, all mine". I have all the furnishings for it already and just need the time to get it built. I think taking the time to build it is going to be my birthday present to myself this year. :D I've also got a Beacon Hill in the box that's going to stay with me. The house I *really* want to add to my personal collection is the Willowcrest.

<peering under the table in the studio> And there's an RGT Shoppe, a haunted house, two orchids and another primrose keeping the BH company under there. And on the table in dry fit is a Lafayette that's going to be a Tuscan Villa. I'll start on it tomorrow when I finish the primrose.

I agree with Susanne. I don't see there being an end in sight. I plan to keep on building and the ones I really like will stay and live with me. My goal now is to build everything in the Greenleaf and Corona Concepts line at least once. Maybe twice. Or twelve times if I really like it. :D

Deb

Right now I have three that are built (two of those completed, MG's Cottage and Forestgate Cottage) and I'm finishing up with the Beacon Hill (although I will never be done furnishing and accessorizing I'm sure and then it will be time to redo wallpaper . . . ha ha)!!

I have the Buttercup/Canterbury bash that will be 'Hyacinth's Periwinkle Tea Cottage'. I will be starting back on this house VERY soon!!

And then . . . I know this isn't what you asked . . . but I have the Willowcrest, the Pierce and the Aster still in boxes.

And somehow, I must get my hands on a 'Teresa' and someday I would like to have an 'English' dollhouse.

The Beacon Hill, Willowcrest and Pierce will someday form a small community all backed onto a 'common' garden. The 'Periwinkle Tea Cottage' will be down the road, because the ladies have to have somewhere to go for tea!! :D

I have the garfield (my baby :p ), it still needs some cleaning up and finishing touches. The harrison that's getting redone, the dura-craft sweetheart house that I built for my daughter (I'll have to get pics of that one to post once I unbury it from the pile of stuffed animals that live on and in it). For my birthday DH bought me a 1/144 scale garfield to match my big one :) . And lastly I have one sitting at my dad's house that someone gave him for Amber, but since she already has one :( I plan on making it a museum to house my miniature egyptian collection (anything egypt being my second passion next to dollhouses :D ).

I would love to have a few more but it will wait until I get room for them. But the 1/144 scale houses I want them all and can easily make room for them, if DH lets me :D:D .

I have 3 that have finished construction. The Santa House and the Medieval Chappel are both finished and furnished. The lighthouse is finished but no furniture yet.. ok mostly finished I forgot that I haven't put shingles on the roof - actually I've forgotten about those shingles for months! Other than that I have 8 houses and 3 shops that are assembled but are either unfinished or in need of refurbishing plus a travel trailer that is still waiting for furnishings and a gypsy caravan that is assembled and mostly furnished, but needing it's roof and wheels put on. Do I see an end in sight? Nope.

-David

Lisa, I've done Beacon Hill, the Harrison, the Edison (sold), the Jefferson, the Orchid and I'm currently working on the Van Buren. The four I still have are all neatly lined up on a shelf in the basement which I hate. I like them all around me but I don't have the room. The Van Buren is still on my diningroom table while I work on it.

In the past month I've also purchased 4 new houses. All Greenleafs, the Beaumont, the Emerson Row, Martha's Vineyard and the Pierce along with many many others still in boxes I already have. Sooner or later, I can see that I'm going to have to start storing them in the attic as well.

I have two that could be considered built (the walls are standing!), but only one is near completion. Waiting rather impatiently in the wings are the Garfield and a set of plans underneath a pile of plywood (does that count as a kit?).

My immediate list includes the Harrison, Lily, and 3 more sets of plans (2 victorians and a georgian). I can't say that it will end there, however, because everytime I acquire a house from the immediate list, another house from the 'distance hopeful' list makes its way up the chain - and that list is endless!

I only have 5 and four of them are my Rik PIerce class projects :D

the other is my Mckinley. All of the rest I personally don't have but have either given them away or sold them. I do know from looking in my photo album here at home that I have built over 50 dollhouses from kits . :D

I'm currently working on the Van Buren

And Wendy it's absolutely gorgeous! I love the staircase. It's beautiful. As always, I can't wait to see how you decorate this house (I'm all aquiver with anticipation!) :D

On this particular site, you're perfectly normal. As far as the outside world is concerned, we're normal until we start to talk about our dollhouses and miniatures.

:D I've run across the rolled eyes and the "why?" questions already and I've only been building/obsessing for less than a year now! Guess that's why I pop in & read the forum just about every day at least for a little while - I like being in a place where *great minds think alike* :D

Looks like I'm in good company for wanting lotsa houses!

Wendy, I'm so glad to see your blog on the Van Buren, as you know I have one waiting to be built. If you still need the instructions, let me know and I will send you a copy, mine actually had a set with it.

I keep forgetting how big this house is :D

Thanks Peggi, that's very nice of you to offer. I'm pretty much finished now other than the rooftop and the decorating end of it. You're going to love this house. I do have one suggestion though, do your attic flooring and your walls (whatever it is you choose) before you put that little middle room in. It's going to be a challenge for me to do the flooring behind it now because it's all glued in place. I should have noticed that before I put it in but I didn't. When do you think you will be starting on yours?

Thanks Teresa, I have absolutely no idea and I'm beginning to think that all of my houses look alike. Knowing me, I won't have a plan and I'll end up just putting in it what I like at the moment.

Wendy, thanks for the advice, I'm printing it out and putting it with the instructions. I'm not sure when I will start it. I need to finish my Creekside Cabin and then I'm not sure whether it or the Beaumont will be built first.

I've done the Fairfield (minus shingles....still gotta tackle that)

I've got my Willow that has the walls up, but still decorating the interior before the fireplaces go in...

Then I've got the Orchid next on the list, followed by the Lafayette then finally my SanFranciscan which will be my last for now, cause I want to keep it for myself.

The willow, orchid and lafayette will have new homes, hopefully in time for christmas!! Don't think I'm that good yet lol

I dont know how many I will end up with but at present time I have

in the Living room

haunted house 1/12 scale

5 1/144th scale houses and one ferris wheel

Rik Pierce Light house

work room

Granville,Mckinley,Arthur,Glencroft,Buttercup, Primrose,Orchid,and the Lily

1/2 scale treehouse

grans room

coventry cottage,the Addams,

1/2 scale Victorianna,Elizabeth Anne

kitchen

Marquam Hill Mansion

these are complete structures in various stages of decorating

I have another Orchid,Pierce,haunted house and trailer in the closet

2 1/144th scale in the drawers

makes my count 21 I think...unless I missed one

it is also my hope to build all of the Greenleaf/Corona kits also

I have also built the Newburg, Allison,Willowcrest and Westville all of whom live elsewhere.

I do love to build!

nutti :D

oopps forgot about the Buttercup upstairs in Catriona's room

<propping elbows on the desk and resting chin in hands> <giggling> I was waiting for Nutti to reply. hehehehehehehee I figured it would take awhile to count them all.

Somebody give Linda a calculator or it'll take her all night to figure out how many she's got split between her two houses. Oh! Better idea! Let's take a field trip to Linda's and we can help her count them! (of course as long as we're there, we can play in her workshop which is the main goal, but we'll use the house counting for an excuse. Yeah. Yeah. That's it. We're going to count houses.)

:D:D:p

Deb

WHy Deb....you make it sound like I have to many houses.... :D

How can you say that to meeeeee :D

I dont think I have enough houses.....but I do seem to be running out of room to put them all.

wonder why? :p

should I stop?

actually I look at it this way....this is gonna be morbid folks

Time has a way of sneaking up on all of us

I chose to stay home and torture the next generation and up untill I had my dollhouses I had nothing of me to pass on to the kids. even if all they do is sell them they will have the proceeds

but all of the houses I have kept has a name on the bottom to whom I want them to go if I cant give them out myself. That way they have something of mom to give to their own kids someday...if I dont get a chance to build them myself. and DH told me I can do whatever I wanted...sell or stay as long as Im happy he dont care. when I start in on how Im all closed in with clutter he builds me another shelf.

nutti :D

WHy Deb....you make it sound like I have to many houses.... :blink:

<giggling> Aw Nutti, you know I say it with the utmost respect and admiration. There's no such thing as too many houses. If we need to, we can always toss the sofa to the curb to make room for a couple more.

Time has a way of sneaking up on all of us

I chose to stay home and torture the next generation and up untill I had my dollhouses I had nothing of me to pass on to the kids.

<nodding in agreement> Our houses are a legacy to future generations. I don't have kids, but it's nice to think that a part of me will live on after I'm gone. I hope that people will be enjoying my houses generations from now even if they don't know who I am.

Deb

Make sure you put yer name on the bottom of them Deb!

Ive been using a marker but I think Ill make labels and glue them on and seal them.

which do you think will last longest?

nutti :blink:

Thanks for mentioning that Nutti. I haven't done that on any of them yet, and I really should. If you seal the labels, what kind of sealant will you use for them?

Deb