What containers do you use for vignettes?

tilliejam62

I would like to know what different kinds of containers do you all use for making miniature vignettes; a real laundry detergent box for a laundryroom scene; an old wooden clock case; I used an old, wooden, rolltop breadbox for this vintage kitchen scene. I found the breadbox on Ebay. (Picture shown). Please direct me to or post your pictures..

I am currently doing a rehab on 2 livingroom scenes built in two 10 gallon fish tanks I bought at Walmart. I also have a 20 gallon aquarium I will be building a period bedroom in. I got the tank for free from a site called Freecycle. (Pictures for these projects will be posted when completed.)

post-12406-0-02884800-1322087307_thumb.j

Edited by tilliejam62

So funny you posted this because just this morning I came across a pic that was soooo cute. It was a 1:48 scale kitchen scene is a toaster shaped scrubby holder!!! Then I started hunting for other pics of what people use. Here is the pic of the toaster. I'll find the other pics I found and throw them on here too!

post-12260-0-21582400-1322116310_thumb.j

Here is the same lady that did the cute toaster. She has made lots of rooms is gift bags! Here is the link to see more pics of this cute nursery room. http://fayzerplace2....NurseryBag.html

If you click on the link at the bottom that says "My Minis" you can see lots of other cute rooms she has made using gift bags. Fun stuff!!!!

post-12260-0-37358900-1322117139_thumb.j

I so want to do this room even though I'm not into sewing or even own a sewing machine!!! I absolutely love this idea of using a shaped picture frame. Here is a cute Sewing Room using a Sewing Machine Picture Frame. This is also from the same lady who did the above two. http://fayzerplace.homestead.com/QtrScaleFabricShop.html

post-12260-0-38855500-1322117646_thumb.j

Edited by bluestarpixel

I've made several in gift bags, one in a holder for a kleenex box (one side has room a small scene) and several in cigar boxes. They've all been given away as gifts. One of these days I'll make one for myself.

My favorite cigar box scene was for my aunt and uncle - he's the one who smoked the cigars :groucho: I replicated their tiny office space in their house, which was actually the closet in the master bedroom. Very small, very "stuffed", but they both sat there side by side on their computers, usually with their big dog crowding in with them.

post-4286-0-45025100-1322122688_thumb.jp

I gave it to them for an anniversary and they just loved it!Those are family pictures on the wall, and the "newspaper clipping" is a copy of an actual article about my uncle and his computers. The chair is glued in place and fits under the table when the lid is closed.

I have lots of rooms in unusual containers. If you want to see some of them on my blog, just go to the "unusual containers" section. http://caseymini.blogspot.com/search/label/unusual%20containers When you get to the bottom, poke the "Older Posts" button to see the second page of them.

CJ, that's an awesome room box! And from someone who is looking to buy a tiny house, the idea of an office in a walk in closet is pretty awesome too. Of course, some of the bedrooms in the houses I am looking at are about the size of a closet too.

Casey, I just spent far too long happily floating through all your posts about "unusual containers". As usual, you inspire me!

CJ, the office roombox you made is so neat - what a great anniversary gift!

All the other vignettes are super - it really does make a difference when you place a mini setting in a non-mini container.

I have several containers set aside for this purpose, I just have to find the time to do some of them. ;)

I almost forgot about my most unusual container - a window! I have the Garden Bistro set in our Garden Window in my office. Downstairs are the Bistro and kitchen; upstairs living quarters for the owners and a Gift Shop. More pictures are in my gallery.

post-4286-0-27310700-1322178726_thumb.jp

Do you have UV protective film over your window to protect you little scene from fading and decomposing?

I haven't done anything to it yet, Holly. It's a double pane window with a little bit of tint but not much since it's designed for growing plants. So far nothing is fading, not even the upstairs carpet. But only the downstairs Bistro is completely open to the sun - the other rooms have inner walls to protect them, and the outside of the walls are painted with exterior paint. It's been up there four years now. I keep my more treasured items away from the plane glass.

So funny you posted this because just this morning I came across a pic that was soooo cute. It was a 1:48 scale kitchen scene is a toaster shaped scrubby holder!!! Then I started hunting for other pics of what people use. Here is the pic of the toaster. I'll find the other pics I found and throw them on here too!

Oh my goodness; the tiny kitchen vignette in the toaster (scrubby holder) is so great; I have seen some really ingenious containers, vehicles, vessels used but this one is one the most amazing. Thanks for sharing that one Lisa.

Edited by tilliejam62

I have lots of rooms in unusual containers. If you want to see some of them on my blog, just go to the "unusual containers" section. http://caseymini.blo...al%20containers When you get to the bottom, poke the "Older Posts" button to see the second page of them.

Hey Casey: just took a tour through your amazing blog to see your wonderful creations. I especially love doing vignettes and roomboxes. It doesn't take a long time to complete them. I have not built a dollhouse yet and one day I hope to. I did find a Peaches and Cream by Duracraft in a thrift store but it was completely assembled; just needed a few repairs so I did them but sold the house. But my first love in the miniature world is creating vignettes and roomboxes.

post-12406-0-56750500-1322277293_thumb.j

Hey Casey: I am so loving your blog and all the unusual containers and vehicles you use for your vignettes. I also used the type setter drawer. I found two of them on Ebay. I filled both drawers with kitchen-related miniatures, foods, beverages, pots & pans, dishes, etc.

I placed a wooden, rolling pin shaped dowel (real life) at the bottom of both to be used for RL kitchen towels. I equippted both to hang on the wall. The larger drawer has over 100 miniatures in as many openings in the drawer.

Edited by tilliejam62

Hi Tillie, love your vignettes-- I am afraid that my roomboxes are pretty boring so far; I used a thrift-store wooden box for the potting shed, and then I couldn't find a box with the right dimensions so I got some plywood and made some boxes for my Christmas roombox and the study roombox that I am supposed to be finishing up... Very standard stuff with thrift store picture frames!

I need to challenge myself though so I am thinking of using a little hanging shelf unit that I found at a thrift store (I showed it here to list the reasons that I rejected it at the time), to make a roombox for my sister-- it's not that far of a leap beyond a simple box but the challenge is always to set the right display, so this will have me head-scratching to get the right balance and fit...

Well alot of the fit so far, for me, is the electrical strip, because ever since I figured out how to do it, I really enjoy having lighting in my work now...

Hi Tillie, love your vignettes-- I am afraid that my roomboxes are pretty boring so far; I used a thrift-store wooden box for the potting shed, and then I couldn't find a box with the right dimensions so I got some plywood and made some boxes for my Christmas roombox and the study roombox that I am supposed to be finishing up... Very standard stuff with thrift store picture frames!

I need to challenge myself though so I am thinking of using a little hanging shelf unit that I found at a thrift store (I showed it here to list the reasons that I rejected it at the time), to make a roombox for my sister-- it's not that far of a leap beyond a simple box but the challenge is always to set the right display, so this will have me head-scratching to get the right balance and fit...

Well alot of the fit so far, for me, is the electrical strip, because ever since I figured out how to do it, I really enjoy having lighting in my work now...

I like your vignettes too; enjoyed looking at them. I purchased some frames first and had this guy make the boxes to fit the frames. I connected the frames to a couple of my vignettes but had so much trouble putting on the hinges. How do you connect your frames to your boxes? Im thinking about not using the glass and just glue the frames to the boxes from now on. I had actually glued the frame with the glass onto this box but I think the weight of the glass caused the frame to separate from the box. It was a bad idea because there is no access to the miniatures and electric lights if something went wrong inside the box. Thanks for sharing your creations..

post-12406-0-23315900-1322334611_thumb.j

post-12406-0-75684000-1322334631_thumb.j

post-12406-0-50387600-1322334659_thumb.j

Edited by tilliejam62

I like your vignettes too; enjoyed looking at them. I purchased some frames first and had this guy make the boxes to fit the frames. I connected the frames to a couple of my vignettes but had so much trouble putting on the hinges. How do you connect your frames to your boxes? Im thinking about not using the glass and just glue the frames to the boxes from now on.

Good question-- the answer is, I am still exploring that! I just glued the frame on the potting shed roombox with wood glue, but I wanted a removable plexiglass front for the Christmas roombox so I glued velcro strips to keep the frame on, but I do not recommend that...! (It is not a neat solution at all, and this frame in particular was way too heavy, but I was in a hurry and getting desperate for time... :p ) For my study roombox, I have a plexiglass front again, but I have glued the frame on (and sanded away sides of the box) in such a way that there is a slot that the plexiglass will theoretically slide in and out of, from the top.

(Edit: the potting shed roombox did not have a plexiglass or glass front and it is quite dusty in there, not to mention some things did come undone... This was formative in my decision to place some sort of front, as well as make it removable...! I went with plexi though because of the weight issue, like you said, as well as the fragile factor...)