David's Folly

hydroped

Hi all,

Here's the photos of the house I picked up weekend before this last one. I love the way it looks and I think the price was right. I paid $25 for it.. unfortunately I didn't look it over really well before I bought it - it's not made of wood.. it's made of masonite?. .. or something like it some kind of pressed pulp or something and it looks like the outside which I thought was just painted on is actually coated in fiberglass.. I coudl be wrong but that's what it feels like. The roof is metal and the stairs inside are metal and of course falling off. I have no clue what kind of house this is. Love the style - it looks like our little danish town of Solvang but I'm beginning to wonder if I can fix this up. Will spackle stick to fiberglass? or maybe I'll have to take a rough sandpaper to the entire exterior - I dunno so I'm asking you guys :) Is there anyway to bring this house up to the quality we're all used to?

-David

post-86-1156793614_thumb.jpg post-86-1156793641_thumb.jpg post-86-1156793700_thumb.jpg post-86-1156793743_thumb.jpg

wow

I would have bought it for 25$

I dunno your answer to the spackle thing

so just take some and try it!

if it sticks YES and if it dont NO

lol

if it sticks you can proceed and if not clean it off and try something else.

that is a great house to start with.

Happy remodling

nutti :)

I think it's masonite, sounds like it, and lots of dollhouses were made of it. My daughter's Sears dollhouse from the 1980's was.

It's a Tudor, or maybe more correctly what's called Stockbroker's Tudor, and so help me I saw one that looked a lot like it when I was browsing online last week. Of course, I have no idea where that was, and it may have even just been a similar looking one, because the style isn't unique.

http://grazhe.googlepages.com/

http://picasaweb.google.com/grazhe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grazhina/

David that was a GREAT deal!!! What a Bargin Hunter you are!!

I dunno your answer to the spackle thing

so just take some and try it!

if it sticks YES and if it dont NO

Nutti, I agree with you. Slap some on and see if it works David. The house looks HUGE too. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

I really like the house David. You got a great deal.

I'd do the same as was suggested, dab on a new finish and see if it takes. If not, just scrape it off and try something else.

From the photos of the roof, it looks like what we here in Canada refer to as pressed board.

-Susanne

I'm jealous -- what a bargain!!!!

Don't know anything about repairing masonite...hmmm... if it's fiberglass you can get fiberglass repair kits at automotive parts stores that might work. What the heck is masonite, anyway? :)

Where did you anyway...if you say "yard sale" I'll kick myself in the *&^

Wen

If you lived local belive me I'd sell it to ya for $50 - I'm not above making a profit heheh. Nope didn't get this one at a yard sale- this one was at the swap meet. My cousin talked me into going with her - haven't been in a couple years. there were 4 "dollhouses" there.. yea "dollhouses" one was a shelf in the shape of a dollhouse someone wanted $40 for.. it was a very narrow maybe 6 or 8 inches deep and they'd painted a faux rug on one of the shelves. One was an a real small one room 1:12 dollhouse made out of 1/2 inch plywood (pretty thick stuff) and they'd decided to make 2 stories in it so the bottoms story was only 3 inches tall and the top story was 5 inches tall :) Even at 1:24 scale the bottom floor would be too small to use and they wanted $40 for that one too :) There was one other that I almost bought.. it was big - about the size of the one I got - brand new yellow siding bright green shutters - the bright green shutters were the only draw back - it had never been painted, wall papered or anything - brand new! but at $50 for a ranch style - very plain house .. and a house that I don't really want.. seemed a bit high. I really like fixer-uppers. This was really nice, really big.. but not my style. I may see if he still has it this weekend.. I know my son would enjoy it.. it's just like the one I was going to fix for him.. only bigger and without needing fixing.. if we can find a place to put it.. it's really quite long.

-David

David, I love the house!! :( Other than updating the painting and maybe putting some shingles or slate on the roof, I'd keep it the way it is. Of course, I'd have to slap wallpaper all over the inside, but that's just me!!

Hey, what about paperclay shingles or stones on the facade? My mind is racing 200 mph with ideas . . . and it's not even my house!! :) I love fixer-uppers (as you know)!! :)

I can see an old Buick in the carport . . . windowboxes . . .

Other than updating the painting and maybe putting some shingles or slate on the roof, I'd keep it the way it is. Of course, I'd have to slap wallpaper all over the inside, but that's just me!!

You just about read my mind :) I love this house just the way it is.. except that I'd like to see it just updated a little. I don't plan to change a thing except to hopefully add to it. I want to do plaster walls outside and real wood where the wood is painted on, and paperclay stones where the stones are painted on - hopefully make better windows for it - take the screw out of the front door and put on a door knob or better yet an ornate door handle.. if I can find one. Shingle the roof - and I"m thinking remove the metal staircase and put in a wooden one - wall paper the interior - add some wood strips to the bare wall edges in back so it looks more polished and finished.. Otherwise I really love the style of this house :lol: It's a beautiful piece but it just looks like it needs to be repaired to me.. of course it's not actually broken but somehow it just seems to want to be loved again and I think those additions might do the trick - I hope anyway :) Would love to hear any other ideas anyone has :(

-David

David, that's a great house :D . Your ideas are perfect, just clean it up and add your personal touches and you got a wonderful house. It kind of reminds me of the one I had when I was a kid, it wasn't a tudor but the walls and the way it's put together is the same. I think my dad still has it in his attic, now that I think of it, hhmmm, I might be going for a visit some time soon :lol: .

Masonite is a wood product made by taking wood chips and blasting them with steam til they form fibers. The fibers are then formed into a solid board by using heat and pressure. There's no glue in masonite. By the way, people confuse it with drywall because of the name. It's called masonite after the guy who invented it, William Mason.

It's a great house David and a really terrific find! (one of these days I'm gonna follow you around and see what kind of a radar you're using to get all these great deals)

If you can't get the exterior roughed up enough to hold paint thru conventional methods, you could take it to an auto body shop and ask 'em to give it a couple of quick spritzes with the sand blaster they use for roughing up fibreglass.

It really does seem to need someone to love it. I'm glad it found you.

Deb

David, it's FANTASTIC! What a great house! WOWSERS! Only thing I would do is, well, you knew it, put some wallpaper in there. Gotta fix those stairs too I think. HAVE FUN!!!!

Hey David..Is the inside of the house shiny and smooth?

Cause it looks like the inside of my MHM. The inside walls of mine are not wood but look like what you have. When I put the windows back in on the first floor I used wall spackle to fill in the cracks. It stuck and I sanded it and it looks fine. But I am going to wallpaper over the walls, not paint it.

You are a lucky lucky boy! :lol: I wish I spotted it 15 min before you. You would have seen a crazy laughing woman shoving it into her Ultima!

Oh cool, I just noticed you have a garage. Or a stable, or a bay for the limo and chauffer?