beds and draperies how to.

Rivalingparis

Hey everyone, I'm back from England I've been missing you all terribly. In a couple of days I hope to have a gallery up and running of my fairfield.

I was looking at the custom beds and draperies posted on another topic and I talked to my Grendmother who is a seamstress and together we figured out how to replicate what the woman who sells them has done - at least how to do them over a frame. I have neither the tools nor the skills to make a bed just yet - but the fabric I can do.

Is anyone interested in a tutorial on draperies and bed canopies? Is this something that is worth putting a tutorial together for? It wold take me several weeks to put one together but I'd be happy to do it if people are interested. If you are already an accomplished sewer then just use thin lightweight satins and prints - I have found quilting fat quarters very addequate and make mini drapes the way you would for your curtain at home and then pleat, cinch and add matching ribbon -if you can't find matching ribbon you can cut one from your fabric scraps - and matching tassles to complete the look. The major difference I have noticed between the really amazing drapes and the cute ones that look homemade is the sewing. Like everything else in miniature if you want it to look real you should use the same techniques and principles you would in your own home. hemming and pleating such a small piece of material is a pain in the bee-hind, but it looks finished and "real" compared to fabric that was cut the size and left raw.

OOOOO yes I am interrested!

I love to make the things for the dollhouses myself

I hate the way I get beds to look the way they do.

lots of hot glue. :)

I think you have a marvolos idea!

nutti :)

eerrrmmm...btw

WB me missed you too!

how did it go?

Thanks so much for the welcome back!!! It was amazing - I can't even explain how it felt as a proffesional musician to sing in Canterbury Cathedral and Westminster Abbey. It was for lack of a better word trancendant.

If people are interested I'd love to put one together with pics. I would of course explain all the sewing techniques as simply as possible and help people trouble shoot when necessary. As long as everyone understands that nothing will be perfect the first or even the tenth time they try it - but the good news is that a fat quater is usually around 50 -75 cents so if you have to throw it away and start over you're not loosing much. After you've gotten the hang of it you can get small pieces of satin which will make amazing formal drapes. And even better you'll never see what's under it so you can skip steps like lining that you would do in real life and a stiff and thick wire works well as a pole for drapes and canopies just put a matte or wooden bead at the end and no one will ever know the difference!

Oh, this would be wonderful! After spending good $$ on commercial dh curtains and finding them to be no more than a skimpy snippet of not-to-scale lace glued sloppily on a wooden dowel, I've vowed to make all of my own curtains. I sew, but guidance to working in scale would be most welcome! Thank you for offering to do this!

I've been to Westminster and Canterbury and can only imagine what performing in such a place might be like. What a grand experience for you!

A tutorial would be most welcome...thanks for thinking of it!

Is there a way to get a cd of your singing? I'm interested!!

I'm not sure if I can get the recording, but I'll let you know. If there is I warn you know that it was illegally recorded so the quality won't be amazing.

I'll have to start on my draperies and bedding soon. I have sewn in the past (kindof made my wedding dress!) but don't know terms and the proper way to do things. I always wing it! I've been lookig at pics of both DH scale and Real house scale drapes/curtains and I think I can do it. Would be interested in seeing your tutorial as well. Thanks for thinking of it!

I'd be interested. I love fabrics and would really enjoy being able to have more handwork that I've done myself in my dollhouses.

Welcome back. It must have been such a opportunity for you. What a marvelous gift it would be to have a good singing voice.

-Susanne

Hi

I would welcome a tutorial, on making linens and such....since Im not much of a seamtress, any information, how tos would certainly help thankyou

This is the book I recently purchased on Amazon for 6.95 (+Shipping) , dont know if this was the book you were talking about --

Dollhouse Furnishings for the Bedroom and Bath: Complete Instructions for Sewing and Making 44 Miniature Projects (Dover Needlework)

hopefully it will get here soon

Yes! I would love to see a tutorial on making bed linens and draperies. I've been planning on making them myself anyways, but didn't have much a clue on really where to start, other than looking at pictures of ones I like and trying to duplicate it.

It would be really great and generous of you to take the time to do a tutorial for us. Thank you so much for offering! :lol:

Yes please and thank you!

I love to sew but am not at all skilled. Any sewing you would like to teach, I would like to learn.

Lately I've been dreaming of mini drapes in French toile de jouy and would just love to be able to make them on my own.

uh oh, now the pressures on :lol: .

Well, I'll try to get started this weekend if I get through all of my reading for class this week. I'll try to post as I go so that people can get started - if you have the time this week I'm going to start with simple drapes and show you how to take them from clean simple "country home" style to pleated/valanced extravagance.

So I'm going to use cheap fat quaters - any fabric store with quilting supplies should have them - choose a color or pattern that you like (patterns that are hodge-podge like flowers will be more mistake forgiving anything with stripes or plaid will need to be perfect or it'll REALLY show - try a tiny pattern so that it looks scale appropriate - try to stay away from large floral, etc. prints), and a thread color that matches.

If you're like me and have color coordinated your house you won't have to spend a lot on thread because you'll be able to use it on curtains throughout your house. If you have light walls and slightly darker color, if dark walls a slightly lighter color. If you have a busy wallpaper print solid color curtains look best and vise versa - if you've painted go for the prints to add interest. I will use clashing thread and fabric so it's easier to see.

Also you can use your scraps to make tiny coordinating pillows for a couch or bed to help tie the room together.

Ooo! OOoo! Ooo! (imagine a female Horschack)

I have fabric and thread and curtains are my next project for the diningroom in MHM.. I will be sitting on my hands waiting for the pictorial!!

I made some shades for the livingroom/diningroom of MHM.

I cut the fabric to size, glued doweling on the bottoms and rolled them up. Then I took a lil bit of embroidery string and glued it to the bottom for a pull.

I think it is pretty good for my first go-around.

• 3 weeks later...

This past weekend I was at my not-so-local dollhouse shop (over one hour away) and saw the sample for the dress a bed class they are hosting this weekend. I would love to learn the techniques, but the price, $90, is a bit much for me right now. Also, I am too late to choose the fabrics and the off whites she uses for people who don't choose are not me at all.

Oh, I hope you do the tutorial! I would love to learn the techniques, especially how to do braided edgings on linens. I have read tutorials, but I am so visual. I can read and re-read instructions and don't ever get it. But show me a picture of the technique and I will understand perfectly!

Alternately, if anyone knows of a good online tutorial with pictures, please post the link!

Jeri

$90 bucks isn't so bad,lol. My local miniature store has classes for making room boxes,they start at $800.00 to $1,000.00, me being a single mom of 2 just can't come up with that much. I think I would do the class if you can find a way. You would get a chance to meet other enthusiests of miniatures and make some new friends (and they may have all kinds of skills they could offer to show you for free).