Making wing chairs

rbytsdy

Hi folks, I've been making little wing chairs-- posted a pictorial demonstration here on my blog. (On the previous blog post you can see the sad "prototypes". :p ) They're such fun to make, I think I could just keep going and outfit an auditorium! B) But at some point I have to give them some legs; playing around with thick balsa but not a very satisfactory solution. Any ideas?

You chairs look great. About a year ago, I started one of these & was doing a terrible job... then I had to move things around & clean up, so I chucked it out. I bought some pre-made legs at Earth & Tree, thinking I could use those. The other thing is that some of these chairs actually have fabric that goes to the floor and covers the legs.

You have inspired me to try these chairs again!

Your chairs look great!-- The plaid one makes me want to get a good book and curl up and read the afternoon away in it!

I have several dollhouse books that feature making wing chairs. Many have the wood legs & stretchers like a classic wing chair--I think basswood or balsa depending on budget. Doll's House Furniture: Easy to Make Projects in 1/12 scale by Freida Gray is one of them--I can't remember it they were straight balsa or more complicated.. All About Doll Houses by Barbara L Farlie has slightly more complicated legs--it has the stretchers & all. I also have one that suggests carving the short little cabriole legs from balsa.--The Colonial Dollhouse: How to Make Your Own Early American Dollhouse with Colonial Furniture and Accessories for under $50 by Phyllis Gift Jellison.

Skirting them like amyole suggests would be really cute too! I did make one many years back and used the tapered end part of chopsticks for the legs...can't wait to see what you decide to use!

Tappy

I would try beads, as I adore those different looks one can achieve with different types of beads... And that I have beads around that might be used for most anything LOL

Great work and looking forward to see more eye cnady later on as well ;)

Hugs