Greenleaf's Fifth Annual Spring Fling Contest

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about dense. I have no clue why the computer tells me a file is too big to upload. Anyone out there know???? I want to post pics of my entry but am such a newbie to this I can't get anything right!!!!

I just have to say how impressed I am with everyone who finished early. My husband and I sat and looked at all the pictures listed so far and every single entry is amazing. If someone has already said this, I apologize, my brain is on overload. I think this has been the most inspiring mini contest ever and the fact every single entry is so over the top wicked cool proves it.

I'm still having fun making stuff :)

Morgan

Talk about dense. I have no clue why the computer tells me a file is too big to upload. Anyone out there know???? I want to post pics of my entry but am such a newbie to this I can't get anything right!!!!

I just have to say how impressed I am with everyone who finished early. My husband and I sat and looked at all the pictures listed so far and every single entry is amazing. If someone has already said this, I apologize, my brain is on overload. I think this has been the most inspiring mini contest ever and the fact every single entry is so over the top wicked cool proves it.

I'm still having fun making stuff :)

Morgan

Hi Morgan,

After the forum upgrade the gallery now no longer accepts large file pictures. I can't upload mine either unless I reduce them to the size of postage stamp.

There are some alternatives you can try.

Rigth click on your picture and select "open with" - you will get a list of applications - choose Paint

Then click on resize

Select the radio button for pixels and resize to 800x600 pixels - depending on orientation of your photo - e.g. if its landscape enter 800 and the program will automatically make the other side 600.

Then save your picture and rename it. Try uploading this to the gallery.

If this won't load you can try Microsoft Office Picture Manager

Right click on your picture and select MS Office picture manager

Select "Picture" from the menu at the top of the page

Select compress and another menu will open up on the right side of the page.

Select "webpage" and save the compressed picture. Only save once, you might get another prompt to save but this will overwrite your original so select No.

Try uploading that.

I can upload using MSO picture manager as above, the pics fly in but they are so small you lose much of the detail so I decided to put all my Spring Fling pics on Flickr this year.

Good luck - can't wait to see your entry.

I LOVE the Mill! Since I am a new user the system will not allow me to post links...

Please add my images from flickr

Spring Fling 2011 - The Downhill Ski Shop

posted by Charlan1

Thanks

I like it!you have been very original!there are many details, the shoes..ecc..I like everything!:thumb:

Hi Morgan,

After the forum upgrade the gallery now no longer accepts large file pictures. I can't upload mine either unless I reduce them to the size of postage stamp.

There are some alternatives you can try.

Rigth click on your picture and select "open with" - you will get a list of applications - choose Paint

Then click on resize

Select the radio button for pixels and resize to 800x600 pixels - depending on orientation of your photo - e.g. if its landscape enter 800 and the program will automatically make the other side 600.

Then save your picture and rename it. Try uploading this to the gallery.

If this won't load you can try Microsoft Office Picture Manager

Right click on your picture and select MS Office picture manager

Select "Picture" from the menu at the top of the page

Select compress and another menu will open up on the right side of the page.

Select "webpage" and save the compressed picture. Only save once, you might get another prompt to save but this will overwrite your original so select No.

Try uploading that.

I can upload using MSO picture manager as above, the pics fly in but they are so small you lose much of the detail so I decided to put all my Spring Fling pics on Flickr this year.

Good luck - can't wait to see your entry.

Jo :) :)

Thank you so much!!!!! I don't understand any of what you said but it sounds so straightforward I will simply do step by step what you said and see what happens :)

I am so excited to see the other entries. I am sure they aren't all in albums yet, I know mine isn't. I have loved, loved, loved every single one. I couldn't see anything but MY vision and seeing what others came up with is an entirely different concept once it gets to this point.

So...................since you understand this one, how about flickr? I've never done that. Is it pretty straightforward???? How about a blog site I could load pics to?

This is my first entry. I didn't get until it was too late and I was in too deep with the build how much fun all of the rest of it would be.

THANK YOU!!!!!! Morgan

Flickr is very straightforward, Morgan...just sign up for an account and start uploading! I have a blog, but I run it on my own website. I'm sure others can recommended a good solution if you want to do that, too.

I will be offline a few days as real life takes over from mini life...so sad to be away from miniland. :(

Jo :) :)

Thank you so much!!!!! I don't understand any of what you said but it sounds so straightforward I will simply do step by step what you said and see what happens :)

I am so excited to see the other entries. I am sure they aren't all in albums yet, I know mine isn't. I have loved, loved, loved every single one. I couldn't see anything but MY vision and seeing what others came up with is an entirely different concept once it gets to this point.

So...................since you understand this one, how about flickr? I've never done that. Is it pretty straightforward???? How about a blog site I could load pics to?

This is my first entry. I didn't get until it was too late and I was in too deep with the build how much fun all of the rest of it would be.

THANK YOU!!!!!! Morgan

Flickr is very easy Morgan. I opened my account a couple of weeks ago so I'm new to Flickr but I didn't have any problems uploading pics. I uploaded the ones resized in Paint to 800 x 600 pixels which are about 230kb in size and they loaded quickly. I haven't tried uplaoding full sized pics there because I had quite a few to do for the spring fling album but I'm sure they will upload ok if a bit slower.

You can upload full size quite easily on Flickr. I used it for CDHM and it was no problem.

I, too, will be away from mini land as real life takes over. Be back in a few days though! Maybe there will be more entries to drool over by that time!

:wave:

This contest has been so fun. I love my house. However........................the hurried thatch job is going to be redone!!!!!! For anyone who has done thatching, what is the advice on glue?????? The directions said silicone and we won't be doing that again. Constant technical issues kept me busy until the last second. My wonderful hubby, a commercial roofer who has never thatched, offered 'oh I can do that in no time'. Well, he did it in no time :) If left to me, my entry photos would have had a painted roof!!! Thank you hubby!

Morgan

post-6430-0-84053900-1310082600_thumb.jp

Morgan - love it! So many details and so much fun to look at. You can tell you put ALOT of work into this. Congratulations on a job well done!

Thank you :) I did put alot of work in my project. It wasn't because I wanted to win, it was because I was obsessed!!!!!! From the moment I saw the kit I saw Chimley Cottage and bringing it to life has been an amazing experience. So much left to do though :)

Morgan, I used Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue to put the thatch on my roof.

Did you use a lot of silicone? I couldn't believe the amount of glue I had to use...I went through two of the big 8 oz bottles.

Keli,

I love Aleene's products. Knew I should stick with them but followed the directions which recommended silicone. My husband did that part because he is a roofer and thought it would be fun. Oh dear. It was soooooo sticky!!!!! I touched the stuff once and thought I'd never get my hands clean.

As for how much we used...............not sure. I think we used over a tube. At every turn this project took a LOT of glue. Floors, assembly and walls took two of those bottles as well. My project is HEAVY :)

Thanks for the info. I look forward to thatching a roof that doesn't shed :)

Morgan

I just want to say how much fun we have been having looking at everyone's albums. I would LOVE to have a coffee table book of this years Spring Fling. Every project, without exception, is amazing. I can't quit picking out details I love, find unique and can't quit staring at. What beautiful entries.

As for judging: Greenleaf will pick who they think gets the numbers of 1st, 2nd, etc. assigned, but, we all know, winning is entering and getting to count ourselves one of such an incredible group of work. There isn't one single house that isn't over the top and worth seeing in person.

I'd like to thank everyone for the interactions and good wishes throughout this contest. It was my first year and I didn't know how much fun it would be watching the forum and hearing what everyone had to say. I truly hope that next year I can envision a much simpler project and have more time for the pictures!!!! No more working until the last hour :(

I've decided what the BEST part of the contest is. Afterwards :) I'm having fun relaxing and doing all the little things that went on the 'no time' list.

We have guys here redoing the kitchen floor and they were blown away when they saw Chimley Cottage. They'd never seen a miniature house and couldn't believe someone would spend all that time building a house no one would live in. Little do they know :)

What a fab idea Morgan - a coffee table book of all the entries, I'm sure that would sell well in the mini community.

You are absolutely right too about everyone who entered being a winner. I thoroughly enjoyed my build (most of the time) I made mistakes, worked through them and learned a lot. Whoever wins the prizes will have deserved it in my book as the entries I've seen are all wonderful.

I did not enter the SF contest as I just did not have the time right now. I did love the possibilities and ordered the whole shebang to take advantage of the price and will build it at some point.

But WOW!!!!!!!!! I spent better than three hours going through the galleries and I am amazed and stupified at the brilliance and originality of the builders. Congratulations to all of you who did complete and enter your wonderful creations. I will be waiting to see who takes home the prizes, but you are all winners in my book!!!!!!!

I too had never entered before, or bought the contest kit, this year i saw it and immediately saw the finished product in my head and it was sooooooooooooo fun to make!! finished just on time, then had my brother in law's wedding (fiance's baby.bridal shower) so i had to end up making a wedding cake (night before) so have had little to no time to look more....but it is over, so gonna go look at what looks like an awesome ski lodge finally! I too love all the entries and would ADORE a book of all the entries, and late coming completions....it has been fun being part of the talk and construction, and love the story of the guys being impressed with your house!! I originally planned on a thatch roof for mine, but wasnt sure they would have thatched roofs near the ocean....time and money resulted in shingles...house shingles that is LOL

Keli,

Thanks for the info. I look forward to thatching a roof that doesn't shed :)

Morgan

LOL! I don't think it's possible to thatch a roof that doesn't shed. It was soooo messy, I looked like a scarecrow when I was done. I've still got coconut fibers everywhere.

LOL! I don't think it's possible to thatch a roof that doesn't shed. It was soooo messy, I looked like a scarecrow when I was done. I've still got coconut fibers everywhere.

I've seen a thatched roof done in paperclay - smoothed on and then combed with one of those wire cat brushes - guaranteed not to shed - lol.