Greenleaf's Fifth Annual Spring Fling Contest

Lyssa - I took a whole bunch and enlisted a panel of about 10 friends and family to pick their favorites. I gave them 5 front photos, 5 back photos and 5 "drama" photos of the insides. Since they were all non-miniaturists, I was surprised by the consensus they had for the most part. I ended up re-shooting the drama photo to tweak it slightly based on their feedback.

So, this year...it will be the same: 1 front, 1 back and 1 drama. :D I already know which drama shot I want since every time I add something to that area, I love it even more.

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julie that's a great table and where on earth did you get the little plantpot holder - it looks just like those black plastic tray things that 6 little plants come in - amazing.

Brea, I'd be panicing too if I hadn't got to the gluing stage yet but I'm sure you have a plan and that it will all get done. You know the longer they give us the longer we need - I think Murphy said that or he would have done if he was entering the spring fling.

Selkie, I really feel for you not having time to spend on your kit but hey ho, you can still do your idea and amaze us all when its finished. Far better to do your idea justice in your own time and have a house that you will love, than to try and rush just for a competition deadline and then be dissatisfied with the result. Good luck anyway, you never know you may still find a bit of "you" time yet.

The last supplies that I need arrived today so I can get on with the last few things on the list. Ah, not quite, there is just one thing outstanding but if it doesn't arrive in time, I'll make one myself.

Fling on everyone.

awww Selkie...i get it! believe me my house is in an utter stage of disaster cause if i have time it is the SF, not cleaning that gets done! seems every day i have to do something other than SF...thankfully i spent a week or more just doing the SF when i got back from chicago or i would be nowhere near enough done! yesterday it was go to town to get hay (which means at least 2 hrs out of the house) cause they didnt have any in the closer tiny town (15 miles away) and today it is get son's stuff ready for him to go to a camp (only $25!!!) for a few days, then pick him and his friend up and cart them off to the school...then home and watering hubby's garden beds cause he has been gone for 10 days at a show he is doing, then deal with goat pen, and of course dinner and everyone's needs! LOL and of course being self employed in this world of minis means most of my "making anything" time goes to that!!!

arghhh and then i remember i need to order some ___ and ___ from a woman in the UK i asked to make me!!! better get on that, or sell something so i can buy them!! But will get to the remaining landscaping wood stuff today!!!!! then i can begin to really decorate inside!!!!

What? They are picking a winner in August?! It's not fair that I have to wait until then to enjoy the entries. - Only kidding. I can't wait to see the final results, but this is something to look forward to, and I can appreciate that it takes time to declare a winner, not to mention the time it takes to create an image of one's imagination.

In case you are a quick worker and haven't started this yet for lack of an idea, I think this would make a great train depot. But this is your project, not mine, so dream away. - Good luck everyone.

LOL Jo, thanks, and that is actually a heavy metal muffin tin...but it does look like the plant packages! hmmmm LOL

and the contest winner is chosen in august? huh???? i missed something! that is a longggggggggggggg ways away!!!!

i am thinking i need to take my SF down to the lake here for pics, if it fits in the car! LOL

Well, if the entries are in by July 4th, it might very well be August before the winner is announced. But, we can certainly all share our own albums at the deadline date. :jumping: Hooray for eye candy!

I like that train depot idea...of course, then I would get distracted putting together a model train. :lol:

I must have missed that date too Julie, the closing date is 4th July and it usually takes a couple of weeks to judge and announce the winners so - end of July - ish.

Sounds wonderful, a lakeside shot. Mine will probably be on the dining room table - again!

Julie, making a barrell? Ooogh! I had a pattern to make barrell chairs for a pub and I dutifully traced it and cut it out and gently bent it and began gluing it up per the instructions, and the seat was a good bit larger diameter than the staves would go around, and at that point I was in no condition to adjust things!.

Just spent the last freaking hour trying to print out tiny ___________ for my Spring Fling and might be nearly bald now. :pullhair: The computer kept messing up the order of the items (not something that I could work with once printed):pcwhack: After a lot of colorful language :rant: and grumbling, I finally managed to outsmart the damn thing. :harhar1: Why must we all be so detail oriented?!?!?!

I will explain this in fuller length when the Fling is over. Ugh, how many hiccups I want to share, but the details would be a total give away.

Fling on, everyone! :punk:

ONLY 28 DAYS LEFT!!!!

Ok...I think tonight when I get home from work I will be ready to glue the Fling together. :unsure: It's almost scary to think about...but it's the home stretch. Must get a move on!

my hubby got me some stuff i need for my SF yesterday at hobby lobby...it is 2 hrs from me and he was coming back from selling with his mom in Taos....was afraid he would get the wrong stuff LOL but he didnt...not that i have ever worked with this stuff but excited! but a little costly and well i may have to change my landscaping a bit cause i may not have enough of it!!!! I also worked on some interior furniture yay!!!! probably made too many? or one is too big LOL but still, the shift in landscaping is going to make this take more time!!!! and had to change my roof plans too!!! Hubby got me some fake barrels too...Holly, yeah i researched how to make real barrels and while i thought i could do it maybe, was rather stuck on how to make iron/metal bands!! someday!!! looks like something you would need lots of fingers, with the staves, to hold at first! LOL

What a great hubby, brings home all the stuff you need - fab.

I've ground to a bit of a halt with mine. there is still stuff to do but I need a kick up the ****. Do you ever get to that stage where you think you were doing well and you loved what you had done and then one day you look at it all with an objective and very critical eye and you start to doubt that its any good at all. That's where I am at the moment - self doubt and a lack of enthusiasm.

Made some tiffany lamps instead but today I can't upload any pics again and there is no drop down box by my name in the top left any more. These system bugs seem to change day by day.

On a much more positive note, I entered my Garfield kitchen garden in a Minimum World competition last time I bought something from their store, then forgot all about it and just received an email to say I've won £50 worth of stuff from their shop - fandabbydoodle - wah hey me.

Yea you, Jo! That happened to me, once. Our kayad outfitters have moved to a new shop in an even more remote location, town-wise ( but more convenient to one of the launch areas for kayaks & canoes) ande when we were it there during their grand opening (to check out the cookies, of course!) they had us sign up for a raffle drawing; the prizes were gift certificates for items in the store. We NEVER win anything and had forgotten all about it, and went back several months later we were in there buying a used tandem kayak and the clerk asked if I wanted to redeem my prize. I had won a $25 gift certificate! My trusty old deck compass had given up the ghost, so that's what I bought with it.

I can't wait to see what all goodies you get, Jo!

You guys all sound very busy! 28 days is going to go by so quickly, but I have a feeling after July 4 it is going to drag to August. As long as we can share our projects after July 4, I will be good.

I am still waiting on an order from HBS to continue on with my SF. It's not their fault, I somehow paid with an e-check instead of my debit card and it took 4 days just to clear! I think all of my furniture is done, but I still have to do window treatments, etc. I'm worried I am going to have the big stuff done and run out of time on the details. 1 1/2 days until school is out. Sigh.

Brae - good idea on the pictures. Take a bunch and ask for outside opinions. I am just trying to keep my head down and not worry about it...yet.

I might be seeing light at the end of the tunnel with my SF! spent all day yesterday doing a million things and seemingly finishing nothing...well not till the end of the day anyway LOL....love everything but the roof, hate it!!! gonna have to do some bashing to that!! it is the first thing i have done to the SF that is just wrong! does not fit with the house at all :angry: It was pretty much all i could afford though...gonna have to figure it out!!! I got one of Mary's close out items when she closed her etsy store....a black shawl that will belong to the woman who lives in my SF...i love this shawl! and one of the very few items i have bought for the SF...i think i bought a block and tackle, a hurricane lamp and this shawl....oh well and some cheapo wooden items for decorating, but those dont count cause i have to paint them, work with them...here is a pic of my undressed lady (her hand got overcooked so i never finished her to sell) and her shawl that she seems to just love as much as me! LOL (she also has stain on her forehead now as i was flinging that too when i was working yesterday!!!)

post-5162-0-60455100-1307628303_thumb.jp

I might be seeing light at the end of the tunnel with my SF! spent all day yesterday doing a million things and seemingly finishing nothing...well not till the end of the day anyway LOL....love everything but the roof, hate it!!! gonna have to do some bashing to that!! it is the first thing i have done to the SF that is just wrong! does not fit with the house at all :angry: It was pretty much all i could afford though...gonna have to figure it out!!! I got one of Mary's close out items when she closed her etsy store....a black shawl that will belong to the woman who lives in my SF...i love this shawl! and one of the very few items i have bought for the SF...i think i bought a block and tackle, a hurricane lamp and this shawl....oh well and some cheapo wooden items for decorating, but those dont count cause i have to paint them, work with them...here is a pic of my undressed lady (her hand got overcooked so i never finished her to sell) and her shawl that she seems to just love as much as me! LOL (she also has stain on her forehead now as i was flinging that too when i was working yesterday!!!)

post-5162-0-60455100-1307628303_thumb.jp

Know what you mean about things that just look wrong - I have a couple too that I need to change or fix somehow. Love your old lady and her shawl is fab, she'e obviously very proud of it.

I've got my grandaughter staying for a few days from tomorrow so there won't be much flinging going on - maybe a bit of small stuff after she's in bed - if I have any energy left.

Fling on

What a great hubby, brings home all the stuff you need - fab.

I've ground to a bit of a halt with mine. there is still stuff to do but I need a kick up the ****. Do you ever get to that stage where you think you were doing well and you loved what you had done and then one day you look at it all with an objective and very critical eye and you start to doubt that its any good at all. That's where I am at the moment - self doubt and a lack of enthusiasm.

Made some tiffany lamps instead but today I can't upload any pics again and there is no drop down box by my name in the top left any more. These system bugs seem to change day by day.

On a much more positive note, I entered my Garfield kitchen garden in a Minimum World competition last time I bought something from their store, then forgot all about it and just received an email to say I've won £50 worth of stuff from their shop - fandabbydoodle - wah hey me.

Well that certainly is a boost. Do you have your Garfield kitchen garden posted anywhere on this site for viewing purposes? Also does Minimum World have a site where we can view the entries to their contest?

This pic is linked to my album My Garfield June 2009 which has pics of the gardens in it. (see we used to be able to upload huge detailed pics - deep sigh)

gallery_4015_3116_863479.jpg

Minimum World have a facebook page and they told me that's where they will put the competition pics - today apparently. I bet they only had a couple of entries - lol - better go and check before I start blowing my trumpet.

LOL on the age spots Holly...and thanks! She seems very happy I must say! i got sucked into my SF again yesterday with a major part of the landscaping.....love it....and then i cut half the shingles i had put on the roof to make them more what i want as opposed to storybook! hubby finished the rest of the tile cutting for me..so that is done!!!

Jo that is just sooooo wonderful! I want a garden like that in RL!!! and your man looks soo happy with it too :ohyeah: