Dremel Stylus Cordless = FABULOUS!

uppitycats

Wow! I can't offer enough superlatives to describe the Dremel Stylus Cordless, model 1100-01 !

I am not a tool person. I am clumsy around tools, a bit alarmed at power tools. My husband, on the other hand, has never met a tool he doesn't like...and has 2 or 3 of any one of them...including various Dremels, different sizes, with/without battery. So he was letting me use his Dremels to build my Garfield.

Even the smallest of them, I found awkward. And the battery one he has just didn't seem powerful. And then with the others, there was that awkward cord. So I was using it, but reluctantly, and often laboriously sanding or grinding by hand..

Well -- I was reading my August 2006 issue of Dollhouse Miniatures, and there on page 64 was this review for the Dremel Stylus Cordless. And like me, offering superlatives all over the place in his description.

And he was right! It's easy to hold. You hold it like a pen, or pistol. It's nicely balanced, relatively light weight. Relatively small in size, so seems to fit a woman's hand (but my husband likes it, too....I had to swear at him to get it back!) And VERY easy to control. I am disabled, have weak hands -- but not with this baby! I can hold it right-side up, upside-down, on an angle -- whichever way it "works" to get into tight places. It has a variable speed, so I can start slow, then "rev it up" when I get into place. Best of all, it takes all the standard Dremel parts, so all those little grinders and sanders and the teeny-tiny drill that I'm going to use when I start putting on door hinges will work in this little guy! It's got a Lithium-Polymer battery. Now, I don't have even the slightest idea about what that means, except both the reviewer and the instructions that came with it say that it'll hold a charge for weeks, and it rests directly in its charger all the time, so it's always ready for use. Really nifty

I only played with it for about an hour, trying out the various collets, and little accessories -- all on scrap wood. Then some serious grinding of various not-quite-fitted places on my dollhouse. And already I'm convinced it is the best possible tool for me, and I SO wish I would have had it when I started building my dollhouse, 2 years ago (is it really 2 years, already??)

Anyway -- it was $69.95 on Amazon when I first found it to buy. I "saved it in my cart" and went back to the magazine to be sure I was getting the right one. When I went to order it the next day, it was REDUCED to $61.95...and I bought it. I don't know how much it is today...

but if you can afford it, GET it! For all of you who build dollhouses regularly, I'm going to bet you'll love it. For me...maybe it's just the incentive I needed to get a second kit! (But I gotta finish the Garfield, first. I'm working on the porch. And have to get new updated pics. But with this little tool, I can already see where things will go faster, even this far along in the construction!...)

*Note I have no monetary interest in Dremel.. just LOVE this little tool!!*

Actually read the same article and was wondering whether it was as good as he said. I'll check it out the next time I'm over to town. Love my cordless Dremel -- never had a problem with it once I got enough confidence to use it -- it's just a little awkward and the pencil grip idea really appeals to me. Thanks for the commercial --errr --- advice :blink:

I have 2 dremels and although they work and do what I need I rarely use them.

Ive had one to many sanding drums fly apart and across the room at high speeds

totally freaks me out now when I am forced to use one. always use my safty glasses and than the whole time I worry about how much its gonna hurt when that thing peels off and hits me. by the time Im done with it

I have to take a break and calm my nerves. I decided I am NOT a power tool kind of gal

although I would love to be :lol:

nutti :blink:

I had a couple of small cordless dremels - I used them on Everything - Loved them!! I used them so much I actually wore out the rechargable batteries. So 2 years ago I splurged and bought myself the Dremel Lithium-Ion Corless model 500. Loved it! I would do everythign the smaller ones would and More!! .. Ran like a champ... then I loaned it to my dad about 6 months ago and it's never run the same since... today cutting out t a window in my Orchid my dremel gave it's finaly notice - it now has 2 speeds instead of a variable speed - it's down to on and off and the smoke coming out of it was Definitely a sign of resignation. Anyway I'm Really glad that someone here has bought the new Dremel and loves it! I was a little hessitant about it because of the design (I'm just so used to the old designs) but as it looks like I'll be in the market for a new one very shortly and I absolutely Love Dremel brand products and most especially the Dremel moto-tools.. I'm seriously going to look into purchasing this new one. It's really nice to hear that the grip is comfortable and easy to handle.

Thanks for the review - it's nice to read them in magazines but it means So much more when you know someone who has it and that they recommentd it too! :blink:

Thanks again :lol:

-David

Ive had one to many sanding drums fly apart and across the room at high speeds

totally freaks me out now when I am forced to use one. always use my safty glasses and than the whole time I worry about how much its gonna hurt when that thing peels off and hits me. by the time Im done with it

I have to take a break and calm my nerves. I decided I am NOT a power tool kind of gal

although I would love to be :o

nutti :blink:

:D Oh, what an awful experience! I've never had the drum fly off but I'm pretty sure if I had it would have been my final attempt at anything remotely like a power tool. :lol:

Well, see, I learned SO much today, playing with my new toy...uh..tool!! The various little "things" you put in there --to cut or sand or drill or whatever -- some of them have different sized shafts. And the difference is SO small, you need better eyes than I to see it! But once I figured that out...then they really did fit securely! (When I first started playing with it, I had a couple of those fly-across-the-room experiences! Yikes!)

As I said..I'm really tool-impaired. Wary of all things power. Took me a long time to be confident about a food processor, for example. But THIS baby? Just an hour, and I'm ready to saw apart the mini-world! :blink:

Anyway....I hope some of the others of you get one and share your experience...

and I hope you love it as much as I do!

Thank you for telling us this! I am not a tool person either but like my dremel that I have and if this one is better than mine I think I can see myself buying it soon!

I even like my smaller easy cutter better because it fits my hands better.

I'm not left handed. But I just went and carefully examined it. It appears to be exactly the same size and shape on both sides of the handle. The on/off button is on the top, so that wouldn't matter (I was thinking about the fact that, if it were on one side or the other, it would be blocked). The mechanism to change the attachments is also on the top, and is a slide that you push with your thumb...I don't see where left-handedness would interfere with that. I use my left thumb to slide the mechanism to lock in the various attachments, and my right hand to insert them. But I tried it the other way around and there doesn't seem to be any reason why you couldn't do it. So I'd say yes. But again..I'm not left handed. If you can ask a specific question, I could try to mimic it and give you an assessment.

• 1 month later...

I invested in a Dremel two weeks ago. So far I have had a ball with the thing, cutting stuff up all over the place... I bought the 400 Series XPR it is not cordless, but what I liked was the cute little attachment that is akin to a scroll saw. My son cracks up, I am like the female Tim Taylor on Home Improvement, I have a tallent for getting into mischief, but I sure do have fun doing it :blush: I figured I better get use to using the thing before my clapboard siding for my dollhouse gets here and I need to get serious, I bought an extra bag just in case I OOPS! :teehee: Anyway, just wanted to put my two cents in, love the tool so far.

Karen

Tools that go "vroooom" are my kind of tools!!!! And this sure sounds interesting, I love the Dremel I have allready and use it often so will definitley have to check into this new style as well, a girl can't have too many tools, oops should that be diamonds?? Hmm, I think I prefer tools...

a girl can't have too many tools

The only occasion I haven't gotten tools or a toolbox was Mother's Day 2004, when I got kayak lessons.

I have two regular Dremels and a B&D RDX, one Dremel is set up to use in the drillpress or with the flexshaft and I use the other one in the router stand, and as soon as DH or I make myself a horizontal mount I want to set the other one up to run as a mini-lathe & table saw.

I love my Dremels. I don't have the Stylus, but I've got a mini mite and a regular corded model. I originally got the mini mite to trim the dogs' toenails, but then I found all sorts of other uses for it. It wasn't powerful enough for some things so I got the corded one. That Stylus sure looks handy. I wish AC Moore had them so I could use a 50% off coupon.

I prefer tools to jewelry. What can you do with jewelry? My grandfather died last year and left a huge shop building full of really cool tools, but my dad claimed them all! Hmmph!

I have always wanted a Dremel..I purchased a no-name one the other day but have not had a chance to play with it..

also got an extra set of sanding things too..for my next dollhouse..got all the sanding done on this Orchid.

I love my Dremel as well. I've been waiting ever so patiently for this new Dremel Stylus 1100-01 to get here in Canada. I like the idea of it being cordless. They tell me in Home Depot that it should be here soon.

Can't be soon enough, I'm really excited about it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the new dremel. Got the new catalog from micromark yesterday and there it is on the front page calling to me. I'm in the market for one but just haven't decided which one to get. One thing I do know is that I really want a flexshaft attachment and the drill press stand. Whew won't that be fun!

Oh I did get an off-brand one a few weeks back from harbor freight - really cheap but lots of accessories. It ended up being more of engraver - kind of just buzzing instead of rotary-ing - if that makes any sense whatsoever. I'm really power-tool challenged, heck any tool challenged right now but determined to learn it all Yah!

Have fun with your new tool

Peg

HI again,

Ooohh yes, mine did come with that flex shaft thingie... what a fun toy... all thses neat things came in one tool box, it was like Christmas. I haven't gotten to play with the ingraving glass attachment part yet, but I have done some damage with the sanding wheel attachment. My vicim was the side of the stairs of the Fairfield dollhouse I am attempting to bring to life, (where the wall fits the steps stuck out a bit to far) BONUS, I get to use "New Toy", worked great. I have the Black and Decker Mouse for sanding, but I hesetated on useing

it, I probably would have sanded the pour little stairs into saw dust :w00t: Back to the Demel.... it has a plainer.... no clue, my son says shaves wood down, okay, <looking around the house for something to shave off>. It is a good thing this is a small tool, I could get into some BIG trouble :lol: I love power tools.

Have a wonderful day

Karen

I have the Black and Decker Mouse for sanding, but I hesetated on useing

it, I probably would have sanded the pour little stairs into saw dust :w00t:

Hmmm, Black & Decker Mouse.. is this like a small palm sander? I'm butting sheets of basswood together and then filling the crack with wood putty and trying to smooth it down. So far I've rubbed my fingers raw, then got a "finishing sander" which it's too big for my sheets (3 1/2 x 7) Do you think this mouse thing would work? Like I said I'm really challenged LOL

Hi Peg...

Well, I used the Mouse sander on the floors of my Fairfield house, you know the drill , add a coat of varnish, sand, varnish, sand..... etc... it worked great, you can put different grit of sand paper on and yes, it is about the size of the palm of your hand. I like the smaller tools, I seem to handle them much better. I believe it would work well for your project. Have a wonderful evening.

Karen