the garrison mansion

rojam18801

Ron, you work fast - do you ever sleep? Looks incredible! Heirloom quality for sure!

If you don't mind me asking: What kind of wood are using? What size lumber are you starting with? What power tools do you have? And, so far you've cut everything on a full size table saw?

:)

mike...lot of questions here. the wood is native basswood, rough sawn and kiln dried. i found a local guy that can get me most all woods. i have a shop that is 12x40 out back. tools i have are a craftsman 10 inch table saw. i use a blade called a hollow ground planner. it cut's real smooth. then a 9 inch band saw, a disk-belt sander, bench top jig saw, bench top scrool saw. i measure everything with calipers to 100th of a inch. a lot of small hand tools. i think 5 dremel power tool's, air brush, air compresser. i still need a minature lathe and want a 4 inch tablesaw. need the lathe to turn spindel's. when i start the floor's and trim i'll get into the hardwood's. i use the heartwood or the center of the tree. i need to find some exhotic wood dealer's. i realy love tasmanian oak, it' great for dollhouse's. looks just like minature oak. only wood i don't use is walnut, it's bueatiful but in about 3 min. of cutting i get a nosebleed. stuf smell's like pepper. i use a wood called mansonia instead. it's almost as dark as walnut. anymore question's i'll be here...ron

Thanks for the quick response & all the tips - Ron !

:w00t:

Note to self:

tasmanian oak = mini oak look

hollow ground planner blade = smooth

rough sawn native basswood

mansonia = walnut w/o nose bleed

5 dremels

Looking forward to the lath & plaster pics. And yes, I'll have more questions... :)

Besides the added time involved, I've avoided lathe and plaster walls due to the havoc plaster causes to electrical systems. If you're planning to electrify your Garrison, I would recommend straws or coffee stirrers to protect your wiring.

Amazing work so far and I'm glad you posted the pic of your earlier work.

thank you everyone very much. i really like to build these little house's. the one's i did year's ago i really hated to see them leave once they were done. but then i get to build another one. i have been working 12 to 13 hours a day here lately on the garrison and i am getting tired. my feet hurt and my back aches. remember i was a long haul trucker for 26 years. all i did was sit on my butt. i got one tuff butt now and everything else hurt's. got to get used to being on my feet. just got new pictures in my gallery, i'll be starting the roof and the tower next...ron

• 3 weeks later...

I love this soo much !!!

I've seriously thought about doing this but I don't know much about building houses.

I've been thinking of ways to do the walls inside my buttercup because I want it to be aged and older looking. So not wallpaper or anything modern. I thought a plaster look would be perfect. I don't know if it would be possible to put plaster on the walls tho. Any suggestions ?

Thanks alot

asherah

amanda, the house's you have are most likely plywood. to make plywood into a plaster wall get a small tub of joint compound and a 6 inch joint compound tool. it's just a flat wide blade. smear the joint compound onto the plywood then scrape it all off. what you scrape off put back in the tub, it's still good to use again. let it dry, takes about a hour. then do it two more times. each time it will get a little thicker. about the third time it will be complete white with a coat of plaster on it. i'd do it on a scrap piece of plywood first just to get the feel for it. anymore questions and i will be here...ron

tsdream,2nd house?, noo, still working on the garrison, all my dollhouse's take about 6 months to complete depending on all the detail work,..so really this is my 4th dollhouse,as for your last question, im not sure where the house is, i was going through images on a website and came across the garrison and thought, i shall build that!,

Ron