Hobby Lobby

I hit the sale yesterday and stocked up on as much Houseworks components as they had........which wasn't much. It didn't look like they had restocked since the last sale. I still got some great deals on window upgrades, wallpaper, staircase kits and roof moulding, but I cleaned out what they had left. Literally. I only spent $100 and there was only half a dozen things left in the building components when I was done. It's really sad to see it dwindle that way.

<grinning> I got a pool table too. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it since it doesn't fit into the decor in any of my houses, but it's just too cute. It needs a mini jukebox to go with it. Hmmmmm. Maybe one of these days I'll have to do a biker bar.

Deb

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went in to a Hobby Lobby yesterday...one that I don't usually go into and was blown away by the amount of stuff they had on display. I only had enough time to breeze through and drool, but today I'm going back with my coupon and my granddaughter and are we going to shop!!! I was amazed by the size of their supply and the neat way it was all displayed. Wish you could all come and help me clean them out!

<grinning> I got a pool table too. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it since it doesn't fit into the decor in any of my houses, but it's just too cute. It needs a mini jukebox to go with it. Hmmmmm. Maybe one of these days I'll have to do a biker bar.

Deb

Ooooooo yeah!! Do the Easy Money!! Dirty tile floors, bad lighting, chain marks in the bar, scrungy chairs and tables and an ancient cigarette machine with some idiot stuffed under it. Oh, and no glassware or long neck bottles!! LOL

Kathy

I can see it!

that could be a very Deb project!

she could practice aging and grunge technique

yup! are the wheels on the hamster cage turning faster and faster with all kinds of ideas??

bet so...cant fool me! ;)

nutti <_<

I'll pack a lunch . . . it might be a LONG ride! <_<

<grinning> The world is round! We'll get there sooner or later, but let's take along an extra package of oreos just in case. Tracy, do you have a mini van? Coz if we stop and pick up everyone on the way, it could get a little bit crowded. ;)

Ooooooo yeah!! Do the Easy Money!! Dirty tile floors, bad lighting, chain marks in the bar, scrungy chairs and tables and an ancient cigarette machine with some idiot stuffed under it. Oh, and no glassware or long neck bottles!! LOL

Wooooooooohoooooooooo!!! That would just be a kick!! Between Kathy and I, we should have enough collective memory to remember all the details of a really good dive bar. :p Nutti, you're right...........the wheels are turning! A biker bar would be sooooooo much fun to do. It would definitely need someone stuffed under the cigarette machine........and a dart board with darts stuck in the wall beside it........a few bullet holes in the walls.....a faded spot where the pay phone was yanked off the wall and not replaced.....

Hmmmmmmmmmm.................this could be a serious "must do".

Deb

FYI, "Marie's Hobby Lobby" is in Mission, Kansas, near Lamar St. If anyone is interested, I'll be available with the margaritas and some mini snacks!!! (I make a mean margarita...it took me a while to find a blender that would handle the ice for the frozen margaritas that I love so much. I killed two blenders in the process, but finally found one that makes a great frappé, just perfect for the drink.!) I'm having a friend in on Saturday...come on, everybody!!!!

P.S., I went with my granddaughter yesterday, and she was walking on cloud 9 because she got to pick out her own furniture. She said, "Grammie, I get butterflies in my stomach when I think of my dollhouse being finished. I guess I would too, if somebody were making me a Garfield! Anyway, it was a wonderful moment for both of us. <_< ;) :p:D

FYI, "Marie's Hobby Lobby" is in Mission, Kansas, near Lamar St. If anyone is interested, I'll be available with the margaritas and some mini snacks!!! (I make a mean margarita...it took me a while to find a blender that would handle the ice for the frozen margaritas that I love so much. I killed two blenders in the process, but finally found one that makes a great frappé, just perfect for the drink.!) I'm having a friend in on Saturday...come on, everybody!!!!

<waving> Hi neighbor!! I'm only all the way across the state from you in Garden City. I have to go to Dodge City for a Hobby Lobby and it's kind of a small one. It's the only one in this corner of the state so I'm happy it's even here.

Kathy

Tracy, do you have a mini van? Coz if we stop and pick up everyone on the way, it could get a little bit crowded. <_<

I sure do and it's Blue (My favorite color). ;)

Oreo cookies double stuffed are my FVAORITE!! We need more than one bag since we are going to Mission, Kansas :p .

Well, I went to my nearest Hobby Lobby yesterday (it's about 45 miles away from me....I found an excuse to go into town and do other shopping, just so I could justify the trip!)

The one here (in Oshkosh, Wisconsin) has never had a lot of dollhouse stuff -- but since their re-organization, I'm sorry to say now there's even less. They do have more house kits ...but very little stuff. I did manage to buy a bathroom set (tub, toilet, sink), some tiny tools (I'm going to build the workbench out of scrap wood from my Garfield), a few Houseworks door hinges and a door lock plate for the front door..

but they really didn't have much else of interest. A bit of wallpaper -- but the scrapbook paper, on sale for just 25 cents a sheet, had MUCH better variety. Before the remodel, they had a whole aisle of dollhouse stuff. Now it's relegated to maybe just a quarter-wall's worth. I'm glad I didn't make a special trip in, JUST to HL...

The girl at the counter did allow me to include some more glue as part of the half-off, so I got a good deal on that. She fumbled a bit at the coupon -- had to take it to a manager for approval -- but did honor it, then.

Anyway....that's the report from here. I have to take some new pix of my Garfield. I'm MUCH farther along than the current pics show....

I cleaned out the bins of baseboards and chair rails and one other kind of trim

sounds like I bought alot...nope about 4 pkgs of each...so sad for any other customer that might want some

and that was on monday.

and tell my why when you buy wallpaper there it only comes in sheets of 2? I dunno about yall but most of the time I gotta have 3!

we gotta do something ladies!

nutti :blink:

Somebody wana come pick me up too? We don't have a Hobby Lobby anywhere near here.

On the way to FL to pick up Shaky, pick me up in Ga--I'll bring cokes to wash our Oreos down.

I cleaned out the bins of baseboards and chair rails and one other kind of trim

sounds like I bought alot...nope about 4 pkgs of each...so sad for any other customer that might want some

and that was on monday.

and tell my why when you buy wallpaper there it only comes in sheets of 2? I dunno about yall but most of the time I gotta have 3!

we gotta do something ladies!

nutti :lol:

It seems like interests for the majority of shoppers change and the hobby stores have to change to meet the needs of their customers. Why is it then that I always seem to be out of synch with whats in? I was into beading and made almost all the ornaments for my tree. It was hard to find beads in my area at the time. Now that I am no longer focused on beading it seems my craft store has a tremendous stock to choose from. The miniature aisle is very small and I need to shop online even though I think it would be nice to support local businesses. Once again into a hobby that is losing space in hobby shops while it seems like scrapbooking is taking over the aisles. :blink:

Well, I'm already having a bit of a problem with mine. I keep a cup with water and a bit of dish washing liquid it in to put my paint brushes in while I'm working until I can clean them (think that was Holly's idea?), and Jimmy just throws his on the table and then hands it to me later after it's all dried up. I put all the pens and pencils in a cup, and he just strews them about the table ... I carefully place my razor blades on one of the shelfs (I have my side, he has his, if he would leave mine alone) and he just throws his hobby knife on the table ...

Well, I'm already having a bit of a problem with mine. I keep a cup with water and a bit of dish washing liquid it in to put my paint brushes in while I'm working until I can clean them (think that was Holly's idea?), and Jimmy just throws his on the table and then hands it to me later after it's all dried up. I put all the pens and pencils in a cup, and he just strews them about the table ... I carefully place my razor blades on one of the shelfs (I have my side, he has his, if he would leave mine alone) and he just throws his hobby knife on the table ...

uuugggg just like a man!

Dean can never find "the"tool he needs to do a job so where does he go?

yup my tool drawer and where does he put said tool when he is done?

hmmmm that would be wherever he was using it. :blink:

I also put dishsoap in mywater and my brushes pop in there as soon as Im done.

he is NOT allowed to use my brushes!

I have crappy ones for him and any kid who might want to paint with me.

I do keep my knives and pencil, ruler,tooth picks and masking tape in a small rectangle basket right beside me on my work bench.

perhaps you should send him on a paintbrush buying trip.

than maybe he will learn to keep those brushes clean! :o

nutti :lol:

Well my husband don't even help me with my dollhouses but he steals my ruler, paint brushes and pencils and guess where I find those in the end......In the garage which is where I do not work but he claims I must have taken it down :blink:

Just back from the Hobby Lobby in Columbia, MO. The pickings have been so slim there that I wasn't going to go but for the fact that there were some other stops to be made there. (It's a 70-mile trip, one way.)

And .... oh joy!!! ... they had restocked their mini shelves somewhat. Much of what I bought was the last one of its kind, but there was a much wider selection than in recent months. It seems, however, that they have reduced the shelf space devoted to minis. The goods were displayed on both sides of the aisle, but on only half of the shelves on each side. One side had chalkboards/white boards on half of the shelving run and the other side of the aisle had not-to-scale tchotchkes. And there wasn't much sense to how it was arranged ... wallpaper on both sides of the aisle, furniture as well.

But i'm not complaining! The best part was that I was able to get a transformer and other electrical components at half price. The stuff I had for my Orchid ended up in the charity dollhouse. Now I can get to the wiring!

A strange thing, though: on this, the last day of the sale, the clerk at checkout frowned at the coupon and said it was the first one she'd seen!

Oh, well ...

Now that I am no longer focused on beading it seems my craft store has a tremendous stock to choose from. :blink:

LOL!! You're just ahead of your time! :lol:

Speaking of HL coupons, the one that emailed out tonight is the 40% off one item coupon. For everyone that was thinking of getting a house and waiting for the next 40%, it's here!! They sell the Orchid for $24.99 regular price so if you use a 40% off coupon on it, they're practically giving them away. With the building team/community Orchid build going on right now, there's so much inspiration for that little house!!

<blowing a trumpet> C'mon folks!!! Point those SUV's to Hobby Lobby!!! There are Orchids waiting!!! :o

Deb

Hobby Lobby's quote of the week is

One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks.

Jack Penn

But from a miniaturist's point of view:

Hmmm ... paper clay, wallboard mud ... how do you use stumbling blocks to make stepping stones? Are they to scale? Do they need painting?

BTW, I already have another Orchid in the wings. It was a gift to a friend of mine who swore she was going to find time to come over and work on it here. She has 6 kids. No chance of working on it at home! But, eight months later, the box isn't even open. I think I'll build it for her as this year's Christmas present. :o

Check the gallery for the progress I've made on my own Orchid.