Eye Candy - Howard Zane

otterine

I miss you all here on the forum...but I still check in to see what everyone is up to. Today, I've brought eye candy to share with the rest of the class. :bear:

For those who love realistically aged houses, you'll love these HO scale houses by Howard Zane. Amazing details, landscaping and photography. The Appalachian houses are simply fantastic!

http://www.zanestructures.com/ho.htm

• Like 2

As always i learn something on this site--I never heard of any house being referred to as Appalacian, much less Appalacian Gothic. They are very neat. I wonder what else is on the web about these types of homes.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, I have a house near me that is almost identical to the Appalacian Gothic brick home. Most of our houses look like that around here, except some are clapboard sided.

Yow, lookit the prices! Whoever buys these for their train gardens must have money to burn. Most of them are three or four times my monthly house payment HAHA! Oh well, if ya got it, spend it!

STILL sick, dammit. Doc changed my meds and they're working but it's a really powerful antibiotic and it's laid me low with side effects. Just checking in to let ya know I'm still alive, LOL.

:bear:

Who is this guy? I apologize for asking, but I am brand new to miniatures. Does he live in Applachia?

I'm asking because I live in Eastern Ky, and I'm surrounded by the Applachian houses and coal mines he's made! I actually have thought about doing a coal miner's house, as my husband is a coal miner, and my daddy was, my grandfather, and lots of other family members.

Thank you so much for sharing this!! I had no idea!

Edited by stefanib123

Ok, this one says, "Island Creek Coal company" ,

http://www.zanestructures.com/cs1.htm

that's where my son lives! About 5 minutes from me, across the hill! It looks just like a store thats still there!

I'm going to email this guy. I'd LOVE to see this in person!

ETA: it looks like he's not from here, but I swear thats the exact same store! I emailed him to see if he'd been here. I'm going to get a picture of it, to show you guys, its IDENTICAL!

Edited by stefanib123

A lot of the train guys reproduce their buildings, layouts, etc, from pictures of RL buildings.

Thanks for the link, Brae; real inspiration! I build some of DH's little buildings for his N-scale layout, so I'll have to show him this link.

• 4 years later...

Omg, this guy is awesome!  Is 1:87 the same as HO scale or is it bigger?  My eyes kept telling me I was looking at regular dollhouse scale, but I know these are much smaller.  Some of those coal mine dioramas look just like places I have driven past in Virginia <3