1/2" Scale Greenleaf Furniture Kits

ItzKathyP

I was so excited to receive my 1/2" scale GL spare bedroom & kitchen kits tonight. I haven't looked at the bedroom set yet, but have been particularly anxious to see how suitable the scale would be for the kitchen set. Those of you who have shopped for 1/2" scale furniture already know about the WIDE variance in scale between furniture from different manufacturers. I have good news & bad news...

The good news is that the scale of the GL kitchen pieces appears to be just perfect. The wood is very thin & perfectly laser scored so the pieces nearly fall out of the board. They would need very little sanding - maybe just on the edges. The design of all the pieces seems very nice & very conducive to bashing (I tried the word "bashable" but it didn't seem to work very well.) :) This could be a really attractive set at a really reasonable price.

The bad news: To start with, the instruction sheet has diagrams of the two wooden boards in the kit, with arrows pointing to the individual pieces. The diagram of the 2nd wooden board is badly offset, so the arrows don't point to the right pieces. For instance, the arrow that should point to the "Clock Back" is obviously pointing to the backsplash of the stove. All the pieces on this board are misidentified, and I'm still trying to figure out what goes where. Since we're all "crafty" people I'm sure this isn't an insurmountable problem and is just an annoyance. The thing I really don't care for, though, is that it seems there are no backs for any of the pieces! I realize it's way past my bedtime and I might be wrong about this, but I can't find a stove back, refrigerator back or cabinet back, and even in reading the instructions it appears that backs are not a part of the design. IMHO, this will make for some awfully fragile furniture. I wonder if you're intended to glue each of the pieces to the kitchen wall????

Has anyone else gotten the kitchen set? What do you think about this?

Kathleen, I've put together the full scale kitchen set. These are the same kits, just different scales and unfortunately there are no backs. You can just use a piece of posterboard or thin cardboard to create the back. Overall, I am very pleased with the way the kit turns out.

Hi Kathleen! Here is a link to contact Greenleaf if you have questions regarding this product:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/about-u..._dollhouse.html

This is a new product that many of us has not had the chance to build and discover yet. I'd hate for people to get the wrong idea from this topic and think the kits are not worth it because they are. Die-cut furniture is a bit different than pre-built furniture & can take some practice to get used to them. It can come out wonderfully and is the perfect solution to anyone who is on a budget and want to furnish their house and then also have the opportunity to customize it to their own flavor and taste.

I remember my first set I did years ago was a shocker to me. It was the little miss muffet kits but then I started to love those. Then they discontinued them and I discovered the Greenleaf ones & duracraft ones. I have seen some fantastic furniture made with these kits (1" scale version) and am so happy we now have them in 1/2" scale. :)

I have built two of the full scale kits and the half scale kits are the same, of course, just smaller. I am very pleased with how they both turned out. These kits are wonderful and I would highly recommend them. You can put them together just as the kit shows or you can bash and embelish, they are very versatile, and they are very easy to assemble. They're aren't backs to some pieces, but as I said before a piece of posterboard will take care of that quickly enough. Please do give them a try, I believe you will be very pleased You can be as creative as you want with these kits, over time,I plan to get one of each. Also, everyone who assembles these, please post pictures so others can see how wonderful they really are. And for those who are die hard one inch fans and haven't tried these kits in that scale, do give one a try, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks for all your comments. I fully intend to use these pieces in my Fairfield, and am now rather sorry I put so much effort into making my own scratch-built stove since the one in the GL kit is so cute and in very good 1/2" scale.

Please note that I did mention in my first post that this is a "really attractive set at a really reasonable price" and is very bashable as well. I was put off by the lack of backs but, as Paula said, a piece of cardboard can take care of that. I wondered if the original intention was to glue the pieces directly to the wall.

As for the instruction diagrams being offset, I did attempt to send GL a message but something was wrong with that system and I couldn't get my message to go through. I'll plod along regardless and will surely manage to figure it out.

I know that all of us who are beginning to get into 1/2" scale are curious about the kits, and my intention here was to let everyone know what I found at first glance. There is nothing about them that would keep me from purchasing all the rest of the kits (except the old "lack of $$$" problem,) but even that problem isn't too bad considering how reasonably priced the kits are.

I just ordered the library, living room, master bath and the bedroom kits. So excited, all but the bath are for my Fairfield, and the bath is for my Rosedale. Did you know that this bath kit has 14 pieces in it, most of the kits have accessory pieces like shelves and frames or clocks in them.

By the way, this is for 1/2 scale enthusiasts--there are 2 sellers on ebay, dollhouse_pics, and dollhouse_cottage, selling lovely framed 1/2 scale art. The person at dollhouse pics says any of her inventory of 1" scale can be printed in 1/2" scale. I bought alot of em and am saving to buy more:)

i just got the master bath and master bedroom half scale sets in the mail--i have chores to do before i take a peek!

Please let us know when you get to see. That's the same bath kit that I ordered and the master bedroom, I'll probably order it next month for my Rosedale ( that kit has 12 pieces to it, thats alot of furniture and accessories for 14.50!) Greenleaf has the most economical halfscale kits I've seen! A old fashioned kitchen and a modern livingroom kit would be nice too, hint hint.

I'm going to get the master bedroom & bath and the PATIO set for sure! It is really darling. I also would love a modern living room set and an old-fashioned kitchen.

Dot, thanks for the info on the 1/2 scale framed art.

I just ordered the library, living room, master bath and the bedroom kits. So excited, all but the bath are for my Fairfield, and the bath is for my Rosedale. Did you know that this bath kit has 14 pieces in it, most of the kits have accessory pieces like shelves and frames or clocks in them.

Goodness, I was just checking my order, it shows it shipped with a tracking number. That's quick!!!

I LOVE those accessories! I use them for all kinds of things and will often scavenge a couple of frames or some shelves from a kit for a project even when I'm not using the furniture. The bathroom kits have the coolest wall shelves!

Deb

I got my furniture kits yesterday, Very fast shipping, thank you Greenleaf! They are so cute! The wood is very nice, there will be little to no sanding. I found the instructions to be just fine and clear. The kits that required them, came with mirrors and acetate. There are even instructions for bedding and upoholstery with patterns! I can't wait to put some pieces together!

I'm working on my 1/2" scale GL stove, and hope to have pics by the end of the day.

Yeah! That stove comes out really cute, At least the one inch one did. Kathy I really liked your scratch built one too!

The bed is adorable, Paula! Very nice!

I was out of town (no internet) and missed the whole exciting half-scale release and sale! Sigh! Oh well! Just as well because now I want the Van Buren and haven't even started on my half scale Rosedale!

Tappy

There are no backs to some of the pieces in the 1:12 kits, so I used scrapwood and my utility knife and made backs. If I sere hot to make the fridge and stove have movable parts, they are also easy to bash. The only kit I had issues with in 1:12 was the bathroom kit, because I couldn't get the commode stool to go together straight (my problem, not the kit's). I love the bashability (see? I used that word!) of the diecut furniture kits, and they're a wonderful start to designing and making your own furniture from scratch!

I ended up using a piece of cardboard for the stove back. You really do need a back for the stove since the back kitchen wall would be visible thru the opening. I bashed away at it & will have a pic up this weekend.

I've been working on the other bedroom pieces! All I have to say is these kits are wonderful! When I finish I will take a picture of the whole group. The dresser and blanket chest didn't have backs but I used scrap wood to create them. The little wall shelf is so cute and so tiny, you have to be very careful not to breathe too hard or you'll blow the pieces away!LOL!

I went and snapped a pic:

post-2682-1284591222_thumb.jpg

I don't have fabrics added yet. These will go in my Fairfield one day and I don't know the decor yet. Oops, you can't see the nightstands, but believe me they are very cute!