Hobby Lobby refusing to sell Orchids

Deb

Give us an update on whether you got them..(ewww this keyboard feels sticky..like vaseline,lip gloss, grape jelly sticky)

A.C. Moore does have quite a bit to help you move along in dh projects. It has all the tape wiring, dremel kits, roofing, wallpaper, strips of wood for house.. but their furniture and mini section.. They have it but the stuff looks like junk.

I guess I shouldnt complain. At least I have that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but their furniture and mini section.. They have it but the stuff looks like junk.

That's the point I was making about hobby shops' mini stock items compared to mini shops. The craft stores that do/ did carry minis aren't looking at the hobbyist, they're looking at the bottom line and carry just "entry-level" cheap stuff to get people into the hobby. It's sad to see the minis vanishing from the shelves because in the 60s through 80s dollhouse miniatures was the third to fourth most popular hobby in the US.

Exactly! And I'm okay with hobby shops doing entry-level stuff to lure people in, as long as they do a broad and deep enough selection that the newbie can do a WHOLE project and an experienced person who's in a panic can buy basic supplies at 7 p.m. on Friday.

I don't mind having to shop online for stuff that's quirky, but I got out more and had more fun when I could run to the nearest store for basics.

(I was about to say I didn't mind sending away for things like the Robin Betterley half-scale furniture kits... but that's exactly what hobby stores *should* carry, as people can also build them for their own sake or pose stuffed bears on them.)

Our local ACMoore is 15 miles one way and is the only local place to carry any mini supplies at all.They opened with a good selection and wiped out the last local mini shop(She said she couldn't sell her RGT kits for 50% off like they can,for instance).Then they cut back their selection to part of one aisle with half a dozen wallpapers,a few colors of carpet,etc.I miss talking to someone else who loves minis,the advise on how to do things,seeing things I want to buy in person,ordering things from Dee's Delights' catalog through her,the handmade OOAK minis she carried,...

I wonder if the sales girl wanted the dollhouses for herself. That's wierd. Our hobby lobby is great. They don't have that much. They said it wasn't selling well. I have seen broken items also, but I think it has to do with how they are made or people handling them. I practically live on that isle and i don't see the items going down in #. Anyway, I am sorry you had that trouble.

I thought I would give you the mini shop view, as I work part time in a good size store. We carry a wide variety of supplies (wood, flooring, hardware, doors, furniture, etc...) but not a large quantity of any one particular item. We often hear complaints about not having enough stock. The investment in inventory is huge and the business is up and down. They tell me that during the 60's to 80's business was great. But with the internet, the selection is so vast for hobbyists that the brick and mortar store has suffered (we also sell on the internet). It can be discouraging when the owner talks about closing the store and only doing business over the internet, but who can blame him. There are days that we only sell $25. That doesn't even cover my salary. Really, if the craft stores are going with the latest hot thing, who could blame them, it's easier, carry less $ in inventory, turn their stock more frequently, make money quicker.

The dollhouse hobby has declined steadily over the last ten years. With the event of electronic games, computer and internet, children aren't getting into the hobby. We see fewer and fewer kids coming into the store with their parents. We see many er, shall we say experienced women buying minis. And the occasional father or grandfather building for their kids. Who will continue this hobby in another ten years?

What we need is to start that revolution. Make miniatures the next great thing. How do we enlist more young people to take up this hobby?

Girl Scouts! You know have a class and show the girls how to make some simple things and they can leave with a ( shoe box) room box. I too have wondered if I will be able to buy things when I reach my experiened years because there just isn't that much out there now for stores.

The dollhouse hobby has declined steadily over the last ten years. With the event of electronic games, computer and internet, children aren't getting into the hobby. We see fewer and fewer kids coming into the store with their parents. We see many er, shall we say experienced women buying minis. And the occasional father or grandfather building for their kids. Who will continue this hobby in another ten years?

You are SO right!! The one shop I helped at died January 2005 and I sure miss it. She talked about opending a Tea shop that sold cards and scrapbooking stuff.

We really REALLY need to introduce the hobby to our kids and getthem to LOVE minis.. The kid swap here I think is really gonna get the kids involoved Hooked.

My girls will be making room boxes for there goodies starting tomorrow. They are truly excited because they are getting there OWn box of swap items.

We need to take the TV away and get them to be more creative for sure!

I will NOT climb up on that soapbox... How many of you sahms encourage your children to have friends over after school to play Barbies or GI Joes? How many come home, do their homework (on the computer, often) and stay plugged in to play games or surf the web or watch TV? Turn them loose outside with sticks and cardboard boxes & Matchbox cars and if their brains haven't been fried by electronic gadgets they'll be building towns & cities. On rainy days give them some old copier paper boxes or shoeboxes, empty oatmeal cans and paper towel roll cardboard, a bottle of Elmer's glue & some paper & sooner or later they've built a castle for their army men or their Li'l Bratz.

OK, now I'm off my soapbox.

My first Barbie doll house was made out of Cardboard boxes!!

It had windows and shutters and EVERYTHING!!

Made the furniture myself too. I even made rooms for my friends to take home and play with.

Yeap, creativity is learned NOT from the TV or Computer but from Crayons, Boxes and IMAGINATION .

:p:)

We lived in the country so we built playhouses in the woods. Using anything from pinestraw to broken limbs. Old cans could become anything from a stove to a chair (according to the size of the can).

Edmonton was fortunate to have had a Mini Shop for 20 years. They closed their doors at the beginning of the year. The elderly couple were finding it too hard to compete with the internet, and their children and grandchildren weren't interested in taking over the business.

Michaels' Crafts carries very little in the way of items for the miniaturist.

I shop online. Not being able to actually see the products, it's taken a lot of trial and error to find what I want.

I think that having a Miniature Swap for the kids is a great way to keep them interested in this hobby.

-Susanne

I hate to tell all of you kids need "UNPLUGGED" time No electronics TV games computers etc. Many hobbies are losing new enthusaiasts because of the need for immediate gratification

What happened to boys building stick and tissue model airplanes? Kids today have no interest in long term projects as in pinning parts to a building board and adding pieces to it

What is happening to toy trains? Very few younger enthusiasts too many old timers with no one moving into the hobby

Lead the younger ones into the hobby in some way shape or form it is something that will be with them for a lifetime

Ed

No really young people is what made our local mini club go belly up-I was the "young one" and I'm almost 50!!!I made troll/peewee/kiddles houses out of old bakery boxes and spools,matchboxes,etc as a kid and Velveeta boxes with fabric scraps made pretty hot Barbie beds.It's really hard to get my kids to imagine things like that-they're not even 5 and they want the perfect plastic premade item and think the homemade item is just not as good.My daughter has a good imagination and will design and create things but my son has a harder time.Someone gave me a Greenleaf village and I think I'll have them help me assemble and decorate it this year as a Christmas village and try to get them into the hobby.Let them paint and glitter and glue it and make little trees and hills and people and have fun with it.And not worry if it's not "perfect" and to scale.If they really get into it,I'll order another kit or help them scratchbuild some buildings.We'll probably wind up with a Walmart or McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts or two in the town,but it's going to be their town and what they want in it.

We have unplugged Catriona's internet for the month.

and no TV unless we are all watching something to be agreed on like a rental.

but unfortunatly for her Gran takes up alot of time! mostly hers...and she is sooo sweet and kind to her.

always incouraging and sympathetic when she wants to go home.

can we find 5 minutes to finish our swap items? Im hopping tomorrow...but I have been saying that for the 2 weeks we have been home.

I buy her the necklace kits from wal-marts and she has gotten instructions for some off of the internet.

she wants to embellish her jeans for school. she doesnt like the building part of dollhouses but does like shopping for new items for her house. all in a box waiting for a place to live.

Im trying to encorage the creativity but the lure of having the newest and latest thing is very hard on the kids today. buy buy buy!

so we must try try try!

nutti :)

My dd and one ds have a house. Ds's house has a bear named MR. Bear that live sin it and often visits DD's family. The little girl who I was watching this summer also played with the dollhouse. Her mom did not believe me at first, when I told her she loved it. DD also has some friends who she plays Barbies with very often. They did really well with the kids swap so I think I will start letting her work on making some furniture. ( she wants wood stuff and it has to be homemade)

I will NOT climb up on that soapbox... How many of you sahms encourage your children to have friends over after school to play Barbies or GI Joes? How many come home, do their homework (on the computer, often) and stay plugged in to play games or surf the web or watch TV? Turn them loose outside with sticks and cardboard boxes & Matchbox cars and if their brains haven't been fried by electronic gadgets they'll be building towns & cities. On rainy days give them some old copier paper boxes or shoeboxes, empty oatmeal cans and paper towel roll cardboard, a bottle of Elmer's glue & some paper & sooner or later they've built a castle for their army men or their Li'l Bratz.

OK, now I'm off my soapbox.

I totally agree with you havana. My kids are plugged in. And they want to be more plugged in but I refuse. Some of the things that these kids have I believe shouldnt be purchased unless THEY can pay for it. Chels says everyone has an iPod. Well that is nice. If YOU want an iPod YOU need to get a job and pay for it YOURSELF. She gives me a glazed over look! :)

I can remember on summer mornings having breakfast, getting dressed and going out to play..come in for lunch..go out to play..come in for dinner.. go out to play.. wait for street lights or mom yelling for me and coming home. Going out and catching fireflies, watching thunderstorms. I used to walk to the beach (2 miles) and home, walk to the mall or the library (1-2 miles one way) and home. Or catch the city bus.

Kids wont do that. They are so caudled (sp?)

I cant shove a firecracker up them to do stuff like that. But they do go outside. Play with the hose (17yr old tooLOL), play in hard summer rains, sidewalk chalk on the street, I caught them trying to play keep away.. I had to tell them how!

I also am leery about today.. Lots of crime that wasnt present when i was a kid. If my girls were gone all day and I had no clue where they were, I would have a stroke.

Wow - where do I start here without sounding Way off base? I've heard it argued before (not here but in other places) that the hobby of dollhouse miniatures is slowly dying off because we (the miniature enthusiasts) have let the hobby down. That always leaves me saying "what????" When a big store comes into an area and carries a great line of mini products until their competition goes out of business and then junks the miniatures because they don't make enough that's torpedoing your competition and it really damages the hobby. If they'd carry enough (like a few here have said) to introduce more folks to the hobby then the big chain craft shops and the mom and pop mini shops could really live side by side very well. I know a lot of items I need the gal at our local mini shop doesn't carry because she just can't handle the overhead to stock things like polymer clay and paperclay when she also has all the furnishings, fixtures and building supplies to stock and for the clays she gladly directs her customers to the big chain stores..she also doesn't carry a lot of houses. On the up side you can special order any dollhouse, wall paper etc and she's happy to order it in for you. You just don't get that kind of service from a big chain store. Still last Dec she said she went like 15 days without one single customer - it's definitely rough keeping a mini store open without an internet presence (and I'm not sure how much easier even with one). So keeping a shop open is tough today, but I don't think it's the miniaturists who are letting the hobby down.

I think it's really an entire social thing happening. Most folks today are so busy trying to earn a living wage that it's hard for them to relax and even have a hobby. Back in the 70's and early 80's there was a whole home craft revolition thing going on, but most families could still get buy on a single income - folks were rediscovering knitting, crochet, making their own stuffed animals for their kids etc. Today when most of the parents don't have time to make and build things how are their kids going to know about how to make and build things and how great it can be to have something that is hand made just for them?

When Kalmbah (I know I spelled that wrong) dumped Dollhouse Miniatures magazine folks were upset and saying well it's our fault because we're not supporting the magazine.. but you know what? they published Lots of other mags and yep the other ones had a LOT more subscribers but I could find their other magazines on the news stands.. Not one news stand in this area carries Dollhouse Miniatures and why? I asked every single one - because it wasn't offered for them to order. The could not order it from their brokers because the publisher would not sell it to the brokers. Not the purchasers fault if the company refuses to put their product out there. It took me 2 years of looking before I found our local mini shop they'd been in business for like 12+ years. We have a local mini show once a year and I never once heard about it on the community callendar (local TV news) or in the activites section of our free papers - NO where was it ever advertized.. you can't go to something if you don't know it exists and it's completely free to have an event notice given on the morning news, on the radio stations and in the newspapers here. Next year I hope they'll let me write a press release and get the show posted on some of the local media.

When I got into this hobby I really wasn't too interrested in making a dollhouse.. I liked the idea of room boxes cause I'd seen really cool stuff to go inside! But I thought of dollhouse kits as comon, boring.. and frankly not that great. It wasn't until I SAW though this forum and others what can be done with those kits that made me stand up and say WOW I want to do that too.! Now I show everyone my stuff :( I'm determined to find someone locally to get together and do minis with even if I have to drag them kicking and screaming into the hobby heheheh :p I've seen kids eyes light up the first time they've ever seen a bashed dollhouse - I think if kids get the chance and realize that dollhouses arent' "just for girls" or "just for children (aka babies - I do remember being a kid and thinking things were only for babies i.e. little kids)" and can be anything from a playground for the imagination to a very serious collectors hobby, AND require skill to finish out And can be made into anything in the world, then some of them are going to get really excited about the fact that they can take control of something and make something to be proud of. I mean really I get the same thing from adults.. "..you do.... dollhouses??? why?" or "you mean like... barbies?".. and then I show them some of Rik pierces castles or Jamie Carrington's dolls and they are speechless - most have no idea what can really be done in this hobby. I swear you can almost see them choking on their words or that smirk they had when they see what a master craftsman in miniatures can do and suddenly it's "wow" and "OMG" and "that's incredible" and "That's a dollhouse? :)" Some folks get down right starry eyed :lol:

Oh and speaking of kids and electronics - I don't know when it came out but there is a Disney (Cinderella's Castle I think) Dollhouse program for computer. While it may be instant gratification I think it's also a cool way to maybe introduce the technology-age kids to the world of Dollhouses. They can have it on the computer and then hopefully realize that when they outgrow the PC program, they can transfer their ideas into a real dollhouse of thier dreams. - then again I've been told I'm an idealist. :lol:

-David (relinquishing the soap box)

I agree with David that it's not the fault of the miniature enthusiasts that the hobby is dying. it is because no one really has time to have a hobby and that no one really knows it's out there unless you are already into minis. Here in my family I'm a sahm with two kids (one 12 and one 6) trying to get them to anything close to a hobby is almost impossible. My DH use to build model cars for his relaxation but now he can't even keep his eyes open long enough to eat dinner :) . Then only having the one income it is hard to take care of bills and food along with getting hobby supplies when you need them.

When I first brought my dh home for my dad's my kids were speechless because mom built that herself. Even my in-laws were shocked at the dh when they seen it for the first time. They never imagined that a dollhouse could be so 'real looking' that you could just walk right in a start living :p .

So dollhouse miniatures need to get more press to show people that the hobby is out there and what possiblies it holds for anyone not just kids. But sadly I know it's just a dream :( .

Annette

I wonder if mass produced items help contribute to this decline in the miniaturist hobby as well. Parents, regardless of whether they work or stay home, are so overscheduled nowadays. It is easier to go online and purchase a big Fisher Price dollhouse than to build your own. For many parents, that is the only way their child will ever have a dollhouse. I admit that I looked some of those over last year, but they all started to look the same to me. I wanted my daughter to have something special that she can appreciate and remember for years to come, not just a mass produced piece of plastic that every one of her friends also owns. People still might be able to squeeze a hobby in, but a half finished scrapbook is easier for a family to enjoy than a half finished dollhouse.

I am also one who does not blame the miniaturist for the decline of the hobby. Afterall, it is the miniaturist that is keeping the hobby alive. The people who turn their back on miniatures are the ones killing it, although it isn't always through any fault of their own.

I do think this hobby is out of sight out of mind though. I concocted the idea on my own to start doing research and shopping around for this hobby, because it is something I always thought I would like to do, and now I finally have a little time to get it done. But if the idea didn't pop into my head recently, this hobby wouldn't even be on my radar. I never see or hear anyone around me talking about this hobby. I have been invited to scrapbook with my neighbors, but not one of them has ever mentioned a dollhouse. Aside from the fraction of an aisle at Hobby Lobby, I haven't seen miniatures anywhere around here. I highly doubt that a plastic fireplace in the Hobby Lobby aisle is going to be enough to inspire someone to take on this project. Seeing the beauty of a finished house, or perusing the plethora of furnishings you can buy, is what will push people back into this. But there is hardly anyplace to do that anymore. If someone out there was able to find a way to revolutionize this hobby, then there would be more demand for miniature shops, and therefore more people would be lured back into it.

On the bright side though, eventhough our hobby isn't high in demand right now, the sparse selection out there has made us appreciate it even more. When I do visit the different websites, I get all giddy looking at the items because I don't get to see them very often. When I come here and see how everyone is so into this hobby, I know that it is due to a true love of dollhouses, as opposed to jumping on a fad. I feel like I'm a part of a very special group, because we all share an appreciation of something that the general public may not truly understand. So while we may not see a mini shop on every corner, there will always be a small group of people like us out there who are willing to keep this hobby alive. Oh, and this gives us an excuse to build more houses. We gotta support the hobby ya know. :)

Stacey

David (relinquishing the soap box)

David, and anyone else, y'all are welcome to share my soapbox any time :)

If DH doesn't divorce me before I get a couple of more houses built, I have a very sneaky plan to begin donating the completed houses to the various public schools in our county (heh-heh-heh), Definitely will be hauling the Sprig of Holly to our local library 1 October for National Minatures month.

When I brought in one of the mini rugs I was stitching to work on during FCAT testing (the "no child left behind" test that guarantees kids will fail to be promoted, or at least attend summer school) the aide working with me asked about it. When I told her I make dollhouses she freaked out, she had always wanted a dollhouse. Since then I've sold about eight houses to various former coworkers. Another aide told me she heard I built dollhouses and asked if I had pictures, so I bought the Cambridge pictures and she freaked out, "NO WAY, THAT's a dollhouse?" (diningroom & livingroom picture) and the next thing I knew she and her son were over to inspect it.

I have often said that when people who have never seen a Greenleaf kit built & completed, much less bashed, see one, their inner child comes rushing up to look out of their eyes and all that joy and wonder spills out.

Now for a sad commentary: I was a HOSTS mentor this past year and the lab director asked me to bring in one of my houses to show the children, so I took the Haunted House. Who do you think all crowded up to look and ask the "how'd you do that?" questions? The other HOSTS volunteers, the Americorps staff & the teachers & aides. Not the children although they were invited and encouraged to do the same.

make a call to your local Library

October is National miniature month....most folks know nothing of this.

I have had the privledge for the last 3 years of setting up a display.

this year I am wanting to display the Lighthouse and perhaps the Orchard as a glass shop

I like to include something from each scale. this is one way to get the word out there about miniatures and enjoying them.

nutti :)

I think being a miniaturist requires patience as well as time. Chelsea told me that she could never sit there in front of a house and painstakingly cut the lines and choose the colors. She said she would have grabbed a can of spray paint and called it a day.

I can get very anxious and hurried. But when I sit in front of the house I am working on (classical music playing in the background) I get more relaxed. If i get frustrated about something and I start to get antsy, I walk away.

We are a very rushed society. Hurry Hurry..Dont have time.. Would rather buy it then make it. Why do you think people are shocked when they find out I home bake or make things from scratch?

I used to go to these group meetings and everytime we had an anniversary, I would bake the cake. I told the person to tell me whatever they wanted I could make it...As long as it wasnt a wedding cake (cant decorate with icing).

One time I made an angel food cake, made the whipped cream and sliced up strawberrys. One of the ppl there was an older man in his 70s. He came up to me and told me I made him very happy. He hadnt eaten a homeade angel food cake since his mother passed away. That was the cake she made him for his birthdays.

People need to find something even if it is knitting, scrapbooking, cooking, or minis. It gives you time to settle down and decompress. Unless the color doesnt come out just right on your walls and you want to throw the thing out the window.. :)

Deb

There is a little hobby shop on Colfax and Wadsworth here in Denver. Called Thompson's Hobby They have the Greenleaf houses and miniatures its a small mom and pop shop but they treat there customer like royalty and the prices are reasonable.

I say forget these big hobby places and give your business to the little guy. they aperacit you more and want to please you.

Donna