Hobby Lobby refusing to sell Orchids

Deb

I agree with Heidi that we are too rushed in our short life on this earth. We don't want to spend the time to make it ourselves, it's too difficult and it will take too much time. I came to this hobby only two years ago, when I had loads of time on my hands since I lost my corporate job. But I can say that it has taught me to be patient. And to be humble. Meaning that I made quite a few mistakes and had "do-overs". What a disappointment that it didn't come out right the first time. But that's the learning experience. What I love is the sense of accomplishment in actually building and decorating. I found that I have a sense of color and style that is unique... And I love the "oh" factor from my family and friends when they see one of my houses.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh so much good stuff here :(

Holly and Nutti - that's a great idea about displaying our stuff at the local library in October. I think most have a display case for things like that - ours has a case but a while ago they stopped letting folks display things in it and instead use it for fund raising they display stuff the Friends of the Library are selling to help the library there - good cause but I think I'll have to check with them and see if this is something that's only in the summer and spring or that they will be doing year round.

Hiedi - oh boy what you said about decompressing sure hit home! I find the more stress I have to deal with the more time I need for just ME - and with my situation finding that me time is next to impossible but doing minis is something I Can do and no matter who's around or what's going on I feel like that's my Me time :lol: I tell ya making that bunka rug was about the most fun I'd had in a long time! I still need to take a photo of it. It was just so relaxing - For a couple hours the stress just melted away. Even just 20 min in the evening of working on something mini I find really helps relax me - it's a very happy hobby. :lol:

And Josi - I'm going to quote you here or I'll get it wrong "I agree with Heidi that we are too rushed in our short life on this earth. We don't want to spend the time to make it ourselves, it's too difficult and it will take too much time."

You know there's always one odd ball in every group.. the only question I have is .. why is it always me? :) Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to make things myself but growing up I was aways told "You can't do that"... No matter what i wanted to try from harp building to shoe making it was always "who do you think you are? You can't do that!".. the cool thing about minis is you CAN do that :lol: It may time some time and learning and patience but instead of hearing "you Can't" I hear "Yes you can!" :D but you're absolutely right, most folks grow up with the idea that things are bought not made and to hear Yes - you can do that, it's ok - try it Is one of the greatest things about miniatures in my book :p

So to finish quoting Josi"...What I love is the sense of accomplishment in actually building and decorating. I found that I have a sense of color and style that is unique... And I love the "oh" factor from my family and friends when they see one of my houses." You got that right! There's nothing like being able to say "I made that" Thought I have to admit I haven't found my sense of style yet but I'm having fun trying :p

-David

make a call to your local Library

October is National miniature month....most folks know nothing of this.

nutti :)

Interesting, I didn't know about that either. I did a quick search on google and nothing of interest comes up. Where can I find more info on National Miniatures Month?? Maybe I can get something going with my local dh store!!! I'd love to try.

a short note about displaying in a library. Find out if they have any insurance policies on things that are displayed. A local artist had several of her sculptures stolen from the library and because their was no insurance on it they basically told her Oh well!

She was out several thousands of dollars that her works would have fetched.

You dont want to display your baby and then have it disappear!

Deb

There is a little hobby shop on Colfax and Wadsworth here in Denver. Called Thompson's Hobby They have the Greenleaf houses and miniatures its a small mom and pop shop but they treat there customer like royalty and the prices are reasonable.

I say forget these big hobby places and give your business to the little guy. they aperacit you more and want to please you.

Donna

Woohooo!! Thanks Donna! I didn't know about that one, but I'll go find them!

People need to find something even if it is knitting, scrapbooking, cooking, or minis. It gives you time to settle down and decompress.
I totally agree with you Heidi. Our society has become so focused on instant gratification that no one wants to take the time to work with their hands. I really do feel sorry for them. We have this wonderful hobby that soothes our souls and nurtures our spirits. It's our sanctuary in a fast-paced world. We might microwave minute rice so we have more time to build our minis, but we have have the satisfaction of creating beauty and keeping our art form alive.

Unless the color doesnt come out just right on your walls and you want to throw the thing out the window

And then we have a really unique lawn ornament!! <cackle>

Deb

• 1 month later...
and I'm turning more and more to Joann's for kits. With the last two half-off sales they had, I got a Buttercup and a Sugarplum for around $15 and $20 each.

Deb

Joann's? You mean Joann's the fabric store? They sell dollhouse kits???? :lol: cool! I'm going to have to check that out.

I wish I knew how to start a riot to get hobby stores to stock miniatures. I doubt carrying a modest selection of basic supplies -- similar to what Michael's had 10 or 15 years ago -- would significantly hurt miniature shops.

Exactly!!! I had such a heck of a time trying to find a dollhouse miniatures store around here. The ones I did find (two) were in process of closing up shop (they weren't even open anymore) and all the others only sold model airplanes, trains, etc. I finally found one place that was able to tell me of one dollhouse store, which is a long drive for me, and it is run out of the owner's home basement. (It almost seems like the corporate hobby world is banishing us dollhouse miniaturists to resort to this - like it's a forbidden hobby or some sort of secret society of dollhouse enthusiasts.) I was told that many dollhouse miniatures stores have closed up shop and I was given the impression that it was a dying hobby.

It would be so so so so wonderful if places like Michael's would start carrying dollhouses and miniatures. The Michael's down the street from my house has almost three aisles worth of scrapbooking materials, another three of beading, and huge huge department of custom frames, and an exceptionally large selection of children's art supplies. Couldn't they devote just a couple of aisles to dollhouse miniatures?? I mean, come on - why do they need such a huge area for custom frames? I very rarely see anyone in there.

It's so frustrating! *sigh* :p

and all the others only sold model airplanes, trains, etc.

Don't discount those hobby stores. Mine carries an awesome selection of stripwood. (Basswood, Balsa and hardwood). They also carry landscaping materials. Mine also has sheet metal and metal rods. The last time I was in the store here they had two dura-craft house, which I bought. Talk to the manager or owner about your needs. The owner and I talked for about an hour about dollhouses and 1:12 items. Come to find out he and his wife could order me anything that I want. Which is great for me because I don't have to pay the shipping. They won't stock minis except Melissa and Doug stuff because of the cost of the overhead. Minis don't move all that fast around here.

Exactly!!! I had such a heck of a time trying to find a dollhouse miniatures store around here.

It's so frustrating! *sigh* :lol:

Just curious, but how far away from Seattle are you? It might be worth taking a weekend drive in to check things out. Also, there is a show scheduled in Seattle -- info at this link. You might make some great connections there! http://seattledollhouseshow.com/

Brenda, Jo-anns sells miniatures online but the store i frequent has never had them in the store. But like I said I have seen them on their website.

But that is here up North. I dont know about anyplace else.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ;) :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so much!!!!!!! :( I didn't know about this Seattle Miniatures Show!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!! :D I can't wait to go, thank you so much for telling me about this and giving me the link.

Wooohooo!!!!!!

teehee... :p

p.s. I live about 45 minutes south of Seattle. :lol:

Don't discount those hobby stores. Mine carries an awesome selection of stripwood. (Basswood, Balsa and hardwood). They also carry landscaping materials.

You are right Holly! Brenda, you might want to look up Train Hobby stores (More Popular in the USA than Dollhouses). They sometimes even carry dollhouse stuff plus items like stripwood & stuff for the dollhouse yards.

:lol:

Yes, you're right. I totally forgot about that, I remember seeing various landscaping items and supplies that can be used for dollhouses (like glues, scenic water, stucco, mini trees/grass, etc.). Thanks for reminding me!

I've discovered the older I get, the shorter my memory has become. :lol:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:(:D

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so much!!!!!!! :D I didn't know about this Seattle Miniatures Show!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!! :D I can't wait to go, thank you so much for telling me about this and giving me the link.

Wooohooo!!!!!!

teehee... ;)

p.s. I live about 45 minutes south of Seattle. :D

Well, Brenda, you've made my day! Too bad you're not more excited, though!!!! :lol: :p

I love your enthusiasm and can just imagine the kind of houses you're going to make. They're going to be awesome!!!!!! :D