Forestry furniture and fireplaces are fun

Deb

I think that paperclay may become a new addiction for me. (not that I needed a new one, but ya'll know how it goes) I've just started playing with it and am quite happy with the way it does so many different things.

I couldn't find the rustic, foresty type of furniture I wanted for my faerie house so I decided to just make some and came up with a living room and dining room set of maple......leaves. :lol:

Here's the living room set:

post-329-1149044777_thumb.jpg

And the dining room:

post-329-1149044844_thumb.jpg

I made the fireplace out of paperclay too. The foundation of it is the one in the Aster kit which has a lot of personality in the first place, but I had a good time with giving it some life. The hearth is paperclay too.

post-329-1149044939_thumb.jpg

Then, for some reason, I decided to wire the house, so I put an amber grain of wheat bulb behind the logs in the fireplace. I like the way it looks all lit up.

post-329-1149045019_thumb.jpg

I think I've decided that paperclay may be my new best friend. I hadn't realized the way it takes to paint and just comes to life and it just so versatile.

Deb

Oh my goodness, Deb! If you were to have the patience to mass-produce that forestry furniture, I suspect it would sell-sell-sell to all the people who want to do fairy cottages. (Hmmm... nice tie-in with the smaller GL cottages that are difficult to furnish as full contemporary houses...)

Ok you showoff LOL - You know I was SO sure that was a purchased fireplace! Dang I didn't know you made it! That is so awesome! I like working with paperclay but mine never comes out looking that neat and tidy and I'm not so very good at painting it - ok make with the painting secrets :( hehehe Did you use acrylics, watercolors.. or chalk to get the smokey effect inside the hearth? Looks Great! And of course I love the leaf furniture. What better for a Fairie's house? Too cool.

-David :angry:

Deb, I LOVE it all!! The furniture is perfect!! Can you send it to me for my small cottage I did in Riks class last year :angry: Seriuosly, would you mind if I created something similar? It is totally what I would love to have for this house!

You did FANTSTIC!! I Love the fireplace too. You go girl! You know, I have to post what I am doing to the coventry cottage furniture. I have covered it with paperclay to create something different.

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and talent my Dear!

If you were to have the patience to mass-produce that forestry furniture, I suspect it would sell-sell-sell to all the people who want to do fairy cottages.
<grinning> That's exactly what I have in mind. There are collectible/antique marts here in Denver........the setup is a large building where dozens of dealers have cubes to sell their stuff. The owners of the mart take care of selling things on consignment so I can rent a cube and sell some houses and other minis, as well as my art quilts there. It's something I've been thinking about doing for quite awhile and now seems to be the right time. I'll look into the various marts and their policies when I get home.

Seriuosly, would you mind if I created something similar? It is totally what I would love to have for this house!

And it's so fun to do! You'll love it! All I did was roll out the paperclay, then lay a sheet of paper with my leaf printed on it on top of the clay, then traced it, bearing down just enough to indent the clay. Lift off the paper, then use your tools to cut out the shape and indent the veins into it and bend it to the shape you want. After it dries, paint it. I used plain old Apple Barrel paints from walmart and the finish on the leaves is perfect. The legs are bamboo skewers cut to size. I mixed brown paint and stucco, then dabbed it on for a "twiggy" texture. I tried using real twigs, but they looked fake. :angry:

I have to post what I am doing to the coventry cottage furniture. I have covered it with paperclay to create something different.
I can't wait to see it!! Those chairs from the Coventry kit would be killer in a stone look.

Please share your painting techniques on the fireplace.

I followed Tracy's excellent fireplace tutorial except I made bricks instead of larger stones, then I used the Apple Barrel paints and mixed them to get the colors I wanted. I painted in the cracks between the bricks with a orangy-brown color first, smudging it onto the brick around the edges just a bit. Then I mixed up a brick color and painted the stones so that they blended in with the undercoat around the edges. Next was a dry brush with a dark grey on selected bricks........heavier around the openings of the ovens and on the mantle above the fireplace. I went back with a dry brush of the brick color in some areas to give it the right blending. The hearth got the same treatment with the dry brush of the dark grey over the lighter grey and tans in the stones. It was really easy and a whole lot of fun! I was really amazed at how the paperclay takes to the paints like that.

This is fun! I wanna paperclay something else now!! Where'd that cat go?????

Deb

This is fun! I wanna paperclay something else now!! Where'd that cat go???
??

Oh no, now you've done it, Susanne will get you for that one. :angry: :(

Don't worry Susanne, Deb's DH always takes the cat to safety when she gets these moods. :p

??

Oh no, now you've done it, Susanne will get you for that one. :angry: :(

Don't worry Susanne, Deb's DH always takes the cat to safety when she gets these moods. :p

It's okay, I know that Deb is free-spirited, but not mean-spirited.

-Susanne

??

Don't worry Susanne, Deb's DH always takes the cat to safety when she gets these moods. :(

<cackle> Yeah right. He's the one who's always saying he wants to superglue Napoleon to the ceiling. :p (Napoleon is positive there's a way for him to walk on the ceiling and Bruce just wants to be helpful) <giggling> Actually, there's naught to worry about where that spoiled little fur baby is concerned. He has more toys than most kids do and he definitely rules the house around here.

Ya wanna paper clay the cat now :angry: What to make a cat paw print ?!? :D

No, I just thought he might like a new look for the summer. hehehehehehehee But the paw print is a good idea! I gotta think on that one for awhile!!

Deb