How to make... tips

justmesue

I have been trying for days to make a flat screen, big screen t.v. that would hang on the wall in the Grandparents apartment in the Cranberry. So far, they all look like beautiful framed print murals, LOL Any tips or suggestions as to how I would go about making one of these? Have you done it, and or what worked for you? Thanks, for any ideas, I'm getting frustrated!

I made this little quickie for my boss who needed a specific flat screen TV in miniature for a birthday gift that hadn't arrived yet. It's not great, and I should have used spray adhesive to keep the screen image from warping... But it's bass wood on the backside with a paper foam frame. The stand is also bass wood with a bit of dowel rod in between.

IMG_1748.jpg

Well, if you're going to hang it on the wall...that's what flat screens look like anyway...a big mural, especially without a stand :) I wonder - if you curved it out from the wall just a little if that would give it more dimension and make it look less like a picture. Just a thought.

Jen...that's a nice TV!

Yes, my suggestion was also going to be to cut a picture out of a magazine. It's a tip I learned long ago from Nutshell News and it works very well for this kind of thing!

Ours hangs on the wall at a bit of an angle - it's tilted so it's farther away from the wall at the top than at the bottom. I wonder if mounting it that way would help with the illusion, since a painting would never be mounted like that. Also putting a remote control nearby might help (also cut from a magazine, and glued onto cardboard).

My last suggestion would be to have an image on the screen that's obviously a TV show, and couldn't be mistaken for a painting. Characters in motion on the screen, or the cable channel guide, or a sports broadcast. Maybe even something that has the little NBC logo in the corner. You should be able to find lots of stuff like this through Google Image search, I'd think...

I vwas thinking to use modge podge and put the picture of the T.V. on thick card board. THat way its got more bulk to it. Also I was looking at ours in our RL house and there is a flat rectangle peice that sits across the top. Dont know why but its there. We have a hutch under ours like what you would normally have in a dinning room and the dvd player/surround sound box and the satellite boxes are on the shelves, maybe if you have those under it than it will look more like a tv than a picture frame.

I think I did it! Success! You guys are genius'! I was thinking too elaborate, that's why I was turning out paintings! What I ended up doing was to go to my bag of stashed window punch outs from the Gloucester, finding the right size-3"x4 1/2". I painted it black and varnished it. I had my daughter find a pic on Google images of her favorite show, "Supernatural". She printed the one with Dean, Sam and the beloved Impala. I laminated the pic on both sides with clear mactac drawer liner. I glued the photo to my painted rectangle, then varnished over the whole thing again. After that dried, I painted the word Sony in silver, at the top of the screen with a round toothpick. At the bottom I made dots and a curved line under them, with little boxes for the disks and whatever to go in, closed compartments type thingies. Then I went for the camera, and wouldn't you know it, had to charge the batteries!! So pics very soon. I'm quite happy with this t.v. and saved $30.00 by making my own!!Thank You!

Now, how far does the top angle away from the wall?

Now, how far does the top angle away from the wall?

Ours is about 6 inches from the back of the TV to the wall and 9 inches to the front (TV is about 3 inches thick).

Can't wait to see pics!

Make a little bracket, and paint it black, to stick on wall, then mount tv onto it at slight angle, bracket could be made from match sticks.

Also show some wire coming from back of tv, makes it more realistic

I've used everyones ideas here, and went with a sheLf to put the t.v. on. It sits on the top back of the shelf,(so I have a little spot for decorations in front as well) and the top of it comes out on a slight angle dowards into the room, just under the lip of the ceiling molding. There already were wood strips on each side of the wall to cover wires I forgot to tuck in under the wallpaper. This makes it look like it was done deliberately to accomodate a large wall hanging T.V. It looks O.K. Will be taking picks of the whole house, just as soon as I get all the accessories in. I'm waiting for 3 top cabinets to come in the mail, so I can set up the kitchens, then the little resin doll people can move in. They won't let me take interior pics till they are settled. Sorry, it's got nothing to do with me being too lazy to change a burned out light bulb above the work table, in the basement, so I can get clearer shots, and bringing the camera down there. LOL