Miniature Needlework

IrishMist

Thanks! for the comments. Yes, they are all embroidery - cross stitch to be exact.

The rug is now in the living room of my Columbian, and the tote bag is hanging on the coat rack by the front door.

post-285-1148523068_thumb.jpg

Haven't decided where to put the quilts yet, but one of my stores in the Street of Shops is going to be a quilt/fabric/seamstress store.... so they may go there.

Carol

ps. Gee! It's good to be back!

geee its good to have you back!

an IV port for meds....well I hope it is working!

I know I hated being confined to my chair for all those weeks. but I managed to get some of my little stuff done so not all was wasted time.

feel better soon!

nutti :unsure:

ps. Gee! It's good to be back!

It's *really* good to have you back Carol! You were missed terribly and I'm sooooooooooo glad you're feeling better. It's good to see you here and good to see you mini-ing again.

I'm drooling over your needlework. It's absolutely gorgeous! I love that little bow tie quilt. That one has to be going in the Jefferson. It's just pefect for that house!

Deb

Carol-

How are you feeling? Are you getting stronger?

Miniatures are wonderful to work on during health recuperations. They're something you can work on right on your lap or on a small table.

-Susanne

Pam - I have s SERIOUS collection of old mini neewdlework books that I scour for patterns. I also have a computer program that will turn any picture into a needlework graph. For my crocheting and knitting, I usually just wing it.

As far as fabrics, I generally use 22 - 28 count even weave linens, but I also have a stash of linen that is 44 count which I pull out for really intricate stuff.

Susanne - THANKS! for asking. The nurse drew more blood on Monday and I will find out this morning if I get to come off the Vanquomyacin IV. They will leave the port in my chest for another 3-4 months, just in case. I'm kinda holding breath for the news.... seems like a long time until 10!

And YES! minis are wondeful to work on when you can't do much...or even when you can! But it let's me do my needlework on a manageable level...couln't fight with an afghan or a full sized quilt right now... and I think the little extras make the house look more realistic. I've been crocheting rugs and pillows for several days now. And yesterday I figured out some slippers. So it keeps the brain working when it really is struggling with the fog of the IV stuff.

Thanks again for all the great comments....tis appreciated!

Pam, you can also use silk gauze for mini needlework but I prefer linen or evenweave. I just find it easier to work with. I usually just stitch on whichever size will give me the right sized finished product, but for minis I tend to go for the higher counts (38-count, 40-count, up to 54-count when I can find it). I usually stitch in hand (no hoops or scroll frames) but I have some very small hoops that I use for minis, because it can be hard to stitch such a tiny piece without them!

Here are some books I really like:

Miniature Embroidery for the 20th Century Dolls' House

Traditional Needlework in Miniature

I have some others too, but these two are my favorites.