1/12 scale horses

Sherry

I'm thinking about my farmhouse landscaping now and want a horse, since I have the saddle hanging on the porch rails. I looked at those plastic ones at Michael's but they just look so 'plastic'. Nor do I want to spend $100 to buy a handmade one (more a case of can't than won't!) Does anyone make horses in the correct scale?

PS-not a thoroughbred, a quarter horse or mustang type.

The problem is that so many of them just don't look like our western horses. Quarter horses have shorter legs than Thoroughbreds, and bigger chests. But Breyer will have those! I will have to call him and see what he's got in stock, but he says he gets a new batch for the holidays every year. If I had room for a bigger yard, I'd get a replica of an old JD tractor too!

I would never have thought to look in a farm supply store for Breyer horses! I was looking at some the other day, in a comic book/hobby store - just window-shopping, as I don't have any spare cash at the moment. I knew (from other miniaturists) that they were 1:12 scale, but the box didn't say what scale they were. The larger ones were marked as 1:9 scale, so I have to assume the smaller ones were 1:12. They just looked a little big to me ... but I suppose if you think about it ... horses are pretty big!!

I would never have thought to look in a farm supply store for Breyer horses! I was looking at some the other day, in a comic book/hobby store - just window-shopping, as I don't have any spare cash at the moment. I knew (from other miniaturists) that they were 1:12 scale, but the box didn't say what scale they were. The larger ones were marked as 1:9 scale, so I have to assume the smaller ones were 1:12. They just looked a little big to me ... but I suppose if you think about it ... horses are pretty big!!

Hi Rosalind, what you want to look for in the breyer's is CLASSIC I am pretty sure it says it on the box. The 1:9 is called traditional. And yes, horses are huge! Some of mine weigh well over 1800 lbs...some are shorter than others but most weigh at least 1500 when grown.

Yes, they certainly are big. My son is going to Wyoming to pick up a pair of draft horses with the pickup and a horse trailer, which will be a load. If you ever get a chance, go see the Budweiser draft horses. They make any horse you've probably ever seen look small; they are incredibly beautiful animals. They transport them in an 18 wheeler.

The first time I ever saw one I was only about 7-8. The man with the team held me up to pet one of them, they are also very gentle. Of course I'm sure their teams are very well trained since they are in crowds all the time. At that age, I thought they were as big as small elephants!

Anyway, back to the subject, my son is going to check his stock for me and see what he has. I'll let you all know or take a photo so you can see how much in scale they are, if he has one.

I like the Breyer horses. They come in small sizes that would work in 1/2 scale, as well as the larger ones acceptable for 1:12 and are great replicas of the real thing. They come in all breeds and colors. I've seen sets of 4 to 6 for $10 to $20. Best of luck finding a nice horse for your scene.

Corwin, do you mean just one half - like the front half - of a horse? Because you don't have room to make the stall deeper? I think you will have to cut a plastic horse in half to achieve that. If you do - you could always use the back half to make a fantasy creature - like a centaur, but not quite. (A centaur would need all four legs, or course.)

I also bought some at a dollar store - because I plan to make a centaur, and a flying horse. I bought plastic angelwings in the after Christmas sales last year, that will work perfectly. (Just haven't had time to do all the mini projects in my head.) One day ...

If you go on eBay, go to Collectibles, go to Animals, go to Horses, then go to Model horses, then go to Breyer, you will find the sizes of Breyers further broken down. They have Classics there and while some people don't pay any attention the section they put their horses in, at least you won't have to wade through all the pages to find the size you're looking for. Also, here's the Breyer web page - they also have a list of dealers that are in your area:

http://www.breyerhorses.com/

You can click on their Product Line at the top of the page and then scroll down and click on Classics. That will bring you to their current line of Classics.

I may be wrong, but I think Peter Stone also has horses in a smaller size too - they're called the 'Pebbles' size. Here is their web page:

http://www.stonehorses.com/

Let me use this thread for a moment to remind everyone to please not repaint or throw out their porcelain Hagen-Renaker horses. Even broken, many of them are worth quite a bit of money. To give you an example of how valuable they can be, I bought one for $4 in the summer of 1975. In December they discontinued making those and now that same horse is worth about $200 to $400. A larger size I bought for $50 in the mid 80s was sold for over $400 5 years ago - and that one had a broken leg.

A lot of these horses are very delicate and realistic looking and also 1:12 sized, so some miniatures people will take them and rehair them and stuff like that - that basically drops the value to zero. So if you have any of these nice horses around somewhere, dust them off and love them, because the older ones are long gone, although they are issuing some of the earlier models. Just throwing this out there!