Strange Question

glen

Strange question I know but I thought having the dollhouse at floor level would be good to play with but in reality, even for a two year old, it's too low.

I'm thinking of putting a couple of drawers into the base and lifting it to about a foot off the ground. Two foot, bed height, might be even better. Anyone done similar and found a height that works?

Cheers

Glen

I think that this is a personal preferance. I have mine on an old writing desk and it is a good height for me.

I'd say kitchen table height is best for an adult.

For a child, that's different entirely as they still have alot of growing to do. When I was a child I had my house on a coffe table and that was perfect for me for a few years but I didn't grow much in the end anyway. :lol: . Maybe you could buy a second hand coffee table very cheaply and keep plastic storage boxes underneath for your childs doll house bits and peices?

Right now we have my daughters' dollhouse on a set of shelves that are only about a foot high (I think the shelves are meant for use as a shoe organizer). It's an okay height for the 2 year old, but a little low for the 6 year old. I think coffee table height or a little higher would be better. Putting drawers underneath is a great idea though...

It does depend on the size of the child. I can remember mine being on the floor and I always laid on my stomach when I played with it. My daughter did the same thing. A younger child might be more comfortable with it 1 foot off the ground. A little older child at about coffee table height. The most comfortable position for play is sitting down with occasional crawling and kneeling. If the house is up too high the kid has to kneel all the time.

Hi Glen-

Its not a dumb question at all. But its definately personal choice. Coffee table height sounds about right for a child. Maybe make it so that the height can "grow" as the child does. Or be moved to a different height table. Ahe could sit at it with a chair maybe?

My Garfield is on a kitchen table that my Dad actually "found" in someone's garbage. It was an older table but still nice. its square but has the flaps on both sides to make it a rectagular table. And believe me the Garfield needs it! I have it covered with those plastic flannel backed table cloths from the Dollar Store. I'm 5' even, but the I still have backaches from working on the house sometimes.

Glen: I recently purchased a display turn-table which sits 2 ft off the floor and I noticed this weekend that my almost 3yr old GS could reach things very nicely, while standing. (In fact the little bugger kept stealing my front porch steps that I've not glue on yet). But he can easily reach all the rooms of the dollhouse. With a little foot stool he can even reach while sitting on his knees.

Hope this helps. The storage drawer idea is a very good one.

You could start with a single drawer set, and then add a second level as she grows. Only the second level could be a bit deeper than the first, so it creates a step. On which you could add........

BIG MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A SHRUBERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then you could add a second shrubery, not quite as nice as the first, slightly higher to create a 2-level effect with a little path down the middle.

NI!

I love Andrew's suggestion - make sure that you have lots of room for expansion.

Glen, there's so much you can do to extend this dollhouse. Your daughter would love to have her own garden with swings, slide, (you and your wife would love a mini-sandbox ... especially if you put a mini wading pool beside it). Just think of the possibilities for your daughter's play fun. Then, you can add on a large tree (there's a mini tree guy I found that builds them up to 20" (or 20' for mini dollhouse children). Onto the tree branch (he has some lovely maples) you can build a swing. Next you can make a playhouse for the dollhouse children. Further along the garden path you can have a mini bridge crossing a stream. For the little dollhouse boy children - a train set.

It never ends (ask my husband).

-Susanne

I love your baby's house but I have to put a mom thought here

what will you do when she is completely in the Barbie size dolls?

coz she will.have you thought about making her some kind of house for that stage?

I think baby's daddy is so very special to think of all this detail for his Princess.

but I remember one daddy who spent weeks making a doll cradle and stroller only for the Princess discover Barbies. she did that the month before Christmas when she was 3. so back to the shop he went and we made her a huge Barbie house. Ill have to have him bring it up from the shed so I can refurbish it for the Grandbaby!

you keep dazzling us with your wonderful skills and ideas.

I cannot say enough how wonderful your house is. my favorite is the staircase and window and how it looks from the outside! most excellent!

Nutti :lol:

oooo almost forgot....watch her as she plays that will tell you how tall it might need to be. and on wheels that locked maybe....so it can be moved around or put away for the un respectful guest!

I liked the idea of adding drawers under for storage. lots of goodies will someday be a part of all this

seasonal stuff....ect....

let us know

Then you could add a second shrubery, not quite as nice as the first, slightly higher to create a 2-level effect with a little path down the middle.

NI!

... but only after you chop down the largest tree in the forest with a herring! :lol:

Ooppss, multitasking. Posted this reply in the wrong thread. (Don't start of me deb!)

I like the way you think.

What about this for an idea??

Not quite sure how I'd swing it up but it should be possible.

Cheers

Glen

Whoa dude, it's a feeling of deja voodoo, all over again. :lol:

Ya know if ya did it right, you could make the dollhouse equivalent of Tracy Island there mate. ;)

Just a thought.

I just know I'm going to have to explain that to the US folks soon. No it doesn't refer to anyone on this forum, 'kay?

Ooppss, multitasking. Posted this reply in the wrong thread. (Don't start of me deb!)

<innocent look> Now, would I do that? <giggling> I like the idea tho. Very cool use of space. And you could expand it to underground parking coz you know if you have a 'vette, you're gonna need a Porsche sooner or later. :lol:

Ya know if ya did it right, you could make the dollhouse equivalent of Tracy Island there mate.

I just know I'm going to have to explain that to the US folks soon.

Might as well be sooner than later. ;) I'll bite............what's Tracy Island?

Deb

Might as well be sooner than later. :lol: I'll bite............what's Tracy Island?

Deb

Sorry, not yet.

Glen, I'm sure you'll get the reference. You do know I'm referring to the real thing not the live action cobblers right mate?

I love your baby's house but I have to put a mom thought here

what will you do when she is completely in the Barbie size dolls?

coz she will. have you thought about making her some kind of house for that stage?

Unfortunately I'm under no illusions about baby not wanting to play with this for ever. She'll move on, and of it a few times I’m sure. :D

Just hopefully one day it'll become something she'll treasure and play with her kids.

Failing that, it better fetch a good price on E-bay ;)

I'll just get her a Barbie house later. Most the girls I know with Barbie’s grow out of them by about twelve. (with some exceptions of course. Have one very intelligent girl (16or17) in year 12 who still carries a Barbie bag. :lol: )

Anyway, babies spoilt crazy so no doubt she'll get what she wants.

Mostly hugs and cuddles from dad so I'll stick with that for a while.

Cheers

Glen