scale off ???

Selkie

Has anyone else ever used the HBS outhouse?

I got it to go along with part of one of my SF09 ideas and when it came, it seemed to me that it's not 1:12 scale. The door is so tiny compared to any of the house doors in any GL or Corona house. The "holes" are very tiny compared to any of the toliet sets, even the Chrsybon one. I had spent time getting the weathered look and everything so I can't return it.

I've decided not to go that route now but it's still bugging me. Is it just me or does anyone else think the scale is off?

What setting would you recommend it matches?

Thanks

The scale is off. I have one of those too. Mine has a sitting child in it, and an old newspaper, I yellowed in the oven, and because it sorta has the same finish as my DH's cabin, it fits the setting. It's set up away from it, so it doesn't show, unless you're looking for it. I do not ever put any standing dolls beside it, 'cause they are as tall as the house, and that really looks odd. I think it looks better on it's own, in a landscaping kind of setting, than too close to any of the houses. Of course, the outhouse would be way off on it's own in RL, for obvious reasons!

If it looks OK with a child doll in it, I wonder if it's 1:24 scale? That's too bad! I vaguely remember one of the mini magazines had a How-to article to make a "necessary".

I think that I may have instructions in one of my books. I will look a bit later and get back to you.

Edit: Just found the instructions for a privy from a book that I scanned. If you PM me your e-mail address, I can send the pages to you.

I bought mine a while back to use with the Adams competition. I could not believe it when I received it and it was nowhere near the same scale. I was extremely disappointed with HBS for misrepresenting the scale. Needless to say, the outhouse is still sitting here and will probably never be used. I have been very careful in purchasing anything from them since then.

Elicia

LLonSSinSC

Yeah, they may be small in RL but the door on this product only measures 1 5/8 inches wide and 4 1/2 inches tall.

The diameter of the "hole" is less than 1/2 inch. And to top it off it is a "2 seater" with this small of measurements !!!!

It's adorable but just way off scale. I took 2 pictures so you can see the difference.

I can't seem to get the pictures in the post but here are links to them.

The little Twinkle doll we have fills up the entire inside.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...i&img=39635

Two male dolls standing beside it.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...i&img=39636

Liza, that sounds just what my Santa needed, I had plans of making an outhouse earlier, but that sort of stranded on, hmm, I think it was time LOL, and I have been eyeying this very outhouse for that very reason, but.... Not sure it would work out close to the Aster huh?!?

Hugs

That IS pretty short isn't it? Those boys would have a rough time...

I think it would be too big for 1/24 though. That would make it 12 feet tall.

I guess it wouldn't be bad just set off to the side with no people by it.

Wouldn't the one Selkie has, at 4-1/2" tall, be closer to 9' at 1:24 scale? Still tall, but maybe not outrageous?

It's more noticeably out of scale beside my 1/2 inch farhouse, than it does beside the 1:12 Adirondac log cabin. I think you can get away with smaller,( easier to trick the eye,) than too big, and in your face.

There's a RL one with a house along the St Mark's Rail Trail that's about 5.5' tall and we spotted one today trying to find a Zydeco jam that was in the yard of a house and was only about 4.5' high. Remember most people only need to back in, ready to sit, so it's not like one needs standing headroom!lol Anna, you con't want the necessary too close to the house; at the bottom of the garden and well away from the well/ creek/ whatever is a safe rule of thumb.

Just to clarify -

On mine the DOOR is the 4 1/2 inch part.

The overall height is 6 inches in the front with a sharply slanted roof back to about 4 inches at the back wall.

Being that it was the mid to late - 80's before my Granny Frye (great-grandmother) had indoor plumbing I still have fairly vivid memories of traveling to Saltville Virginia to visit her and using the outhouse. I'll admit that it did seem somewhat small inside (and VERY dark and scary given that I was less than 10 years old), but I never remember anyone having to duck to get inside. And hers was a "one seater" (even though I have never heard to it referred that way) and I've never really understood the "two seater" concept either (it's all going down the same hole). I remember there being no standing room b/c even at my size as a small child if you stood up inside then your heels were against the seat and your nose was to the door. I also remember that you had better look to see where the toliet paper was before you sat down b/c those cutouts (and they weren't always moons either) really did not let very much light in at all.

I also remember making my Dad go check for spiders before I would go inside and then insisting that he stand outside and wait for me for fear that I wouldn't be able to get back out in time if I did see one. Funny the things you remember.

I also remember making my Dad go check for spiders before I would go inside and then insisting that he stand outside and wait for me for fear that I wouldn't be able to get back out in time if I did see one. Funny the things you remember.

I have similar memories from the outhouse that I had to use when the family went to a cottage of friends of my mother. I. too, was always afraid of the bugs and that I wouldn't be able to get back out. This was the summer of 1976!

And, in the early 1980, my uncle took me and one of my great-aunts to visit her sister. They must have both been at least in thier seventies. This great-aunt of mine lived on a hill and still did not have indoor plumbing except for a hand pump in the kitchen, so it was the chamber pot or going outside at night! Reluctantly, I chose the chamber pot!

"Two-seaters" were the forerunner (pardon the expression) of the two-bathroom house, necessary for large families! I don't recall spiders scaring me, but the flies were bad, and once I recall seeing a garter snake. Back in the days before the PA Turnpike restrooms had flush-toilets and sewers their setup was more on the order of a clivus multrum and wasps were a problem in the summertime.

Based on everyone's comments, my family must have been RICH, RICH, RICH. My grandfather owned property that ran from Flat Rock, Alabama to Trenton, Georgia. Although they didn't live there full time, they lived there during the growing season. They grew veggies and peaches; kept chickens for the eggs and cows for the milk, grandma made wine from the grapes. It was a very simplistic life that I wish I had back in some instances. I can remember many nights sleeping on the front seat of the farm truck parked at the Farmer's Market in Chattanooga. We didn't go back to the farm until we sold all the peaches and veggies. I spent most of my summers as a child there. The living quarters in the two story log cabin were small but not cramped. No running water and minimal lighting but I digress......the outhouse was across the road in the cow pasture (I just didn't go if the bull was around). However, the outhouse was huge in comparison to what you have been describing. Mind you, I was a child, but it was more than roomy. Guess it's just a case of how much lumber you have and how big a hole you want to dig. Nevertheless, the HBS is not 1:12 scale.

Elicia

LLonSSinSC