Shout out to Beacon Hill builders!

WyckedWood

Cindy I love the blues you chose,and the stained glass is very charming! On your brick chimney,is that paperclay or real bricks? I usually use paperclay to brick,but Im thinking of trying out real bricks,wondering if its hard or not??

Its coming along Gayle, I really like that green bed with the bookshelf headboard,did you make that from a Michaels hutch? The greenhouse is going to be big, huh? The front doorway will be very cool,cant wait to see that finished.

Noticed this on amazon today....wonder if they gave the Beacon Hill any recognition in the photo credits;)

Cindy I love the blues you chose,and the stained glass is very charming! On your brick chimney,is that paperclay or real bricks? I usually use paperclay to brick,but Im thinking of trying out real bricks,wondering if its hard or not??

I actually just painted the chimney to look like bricks. But then I discovered the egg carton brick method, so I am working on that next! I already have the cartons cut apart and awaiting paint or pastels to color them. I'll post pics of the finished chimney when I get it completed

I stumbled across something rather amusing when I was searching to see if there were any copies of BH instructions on the net. Mostly I encountered merchants selling the kit, and mentioning the instructions. One entry, however, listed the Beacon Hill as a quick build! :angry: I can just imagine some poor fellow opening the kit on Christmas eve and having his jaw drop! All those pieces wouldn't even be quick to punch out and sand, let alone building/drying time!

I really,really,really dislike the siding on this house,it looks crooked no matter how careful I am...I am so tempted to cover this whole house in paperclay just so I dont have to deal with it. Dont have the $ to do that though,I'll be doing good just to get the roof done in paperclay.

Im having trouble figuring out a palette for the exterior,how in the world do you paint the siding when the vertical trim is in the way?? :p

Karin, I painted my siding before i put it on the house...much of my siding I did "by eyeing it"---came out pretty well. Everytime I made lines, I measured wrong, and it was just a mess--and much easier to do it by "sight".

I went back to work this week, so I havent had much time to work on things....I want to finish my shingles and then work on all those little bracket pieces--I think there's over 100!! Thats a ton of sanding!

Thanks Cathy, Ive only got a few walls of siding done,so maybe from here on out I'll try the paint first method. Sounds messy though! lol..I just figured I would choose a color similar to the trim color,Im going for a dramatic look and its looking like the exterior will be a milk chocolate with dark chocolate trim. Subject to change completely without notice,of course.....And that just made me hungry thinking about all that chocolate...

Working on the porch today,I have so much left to do,I feel overwhelmed by this house,frequently.

The more the BH comes together,even though sometimes it has made me cry....It is so special and detailed,its really an amazing house.Ive never seen it built in person,so I didnt know what to expect,its hard to tell from pictures the magnificence of the house. That roofline especially combined with the dormers,I can stare at it for hours, cant wait to finish,just so I can see it all done :p

Yesterday I did the porch posts and I was really impressed with them. At first when I started laminating the three pieces together to get the post shape I thought it wasnt going to look good and was considering upgrading to a different houseworks type post. But I pushed through and the finished product is really nice and substantial,I loved them:) Today Im going to try to finsh one whole side (exterior)and get the exterior palette finalized. I just spent hours going through all of my paints,shaking them,seperating them and just seeing what I have and what I need. I think Ive used at least 5 bottles of Dk. Burnt Umber on this house so far,still need to go get more.

I made peace with the siding,I just started being much more careful,and sanding the edges of the siding really helps the finished overall look. I found a great color combo (for my purposes)its a nice mocha called Mississippi Mud,thats the main house color, then I sanded that to highlight it,make it look aged. The trim is dark brown. Then there are accents of brick. Simple but suits the look Im going for,sort of dark,aged and dramatic. Good day overall :)

Karin,

I love the way you used stamps on the windows!!!! What a great idea!! Never even thought of that! Your BH is looking great! Glad to hear the siding isn't giving you too much grief :)

I had to go back to work and I"m sooo bummer that I haven't had much time to work on my BH. Right now, I've been working on the roof "curly" brackets. Lots of painting and sanding, etc!! I am also planning on making some doors. I didn't think it was a big deal at first to have all open doorways, but I decided the house needed them. I didn't realize how narrow the doors are...I am going to try and make some kind of paneled door...still thinking....I've got 2 more days off now, as well as the weekend, really need to make some more progress!!

I was laughing at your post in my gallery Linda,telling me to pan back. The house is such a wreck I needed to take a tight picture to hide it all! LOL! Ive torn out everything in the kitchen (which is the dining room) didnt like it...going to redo both bedrooms also cause I messed up the wallpaper...when do you get your new BH? Cant wait to see that project!

Thanks Cathy! I tried making paneled doors too,but it ended up looking too thick with extra layers of wood. I ended up using wood floor strips and I liked that OK. Someone else was doing paneled doors with bass wood strips,it looked really good.

:) Karin

I ordered it the other night and the spring fling took 2 weeks to get here...this maybe longer as its alot bigger/heavier? but...she is on her way :)

have loads of plans and ideas for her ladyship :yay:

I am also planning on making some doors. I didn't think it was a big deal at first to have all open doorways, but I decided the house needed them. I didn't realize how narrow the doors are...I am going to try and make some kind of paneled door...still thinking....I've got 2 more days off now, as well as the weekend, really need to make some more progress!!

Cathy, I just found a door idea in someones gallery last week, I've attached a pic. She used a few layers of thin basswood to make it, so not sure how thick it is, but its a cool idea to embelish the stock doors!

post-2866-1247662494_thumb.jpg

Can you guys help me? I'm rehabbing the beacon hill I got for 45.00 on craigslist. Anyway, its been put together with hot glue. Good because I can take door trim and stuff off with a heat gun, however I can't imagine taking the whole thing apart and rebuilding it so I'm glueing joints with wood glue where I can. Long story short, I'm making it into a Haunted house and the interior is

pretty much a blank slate. The question I have is, how do you do the wiring and lights for such a large house? I can't afford to buy all the lights I need at once. I want to use round wire since

I've had such terrible luck with tape. Do I mark where lights are going and run wire to these places that lights can be soldered onto later? I can't do wallpaper or flooring till I have all the wire done right? I know when I actually build mine I will paint and wallpaper before I put this thing together, its rather daunting as a redo.

thanks

Jody

Hi Jo, I dont know that much about electrifying a house,when I do it I just use floor lamps,table lamps and fireplaces with hard wire connections. Those can all be added after the interior finishes (wallpaper,etc.) The only thing Im doing in preperation for the few lights I will have is drilling out a hole for the fireplaces where they back up against the exterior wall,then eventually Im running hard wire down the exterior side under a foam core chimney tower.

Good luck with your plans,Id love to see some pictures!