Shout out to Beacon Hill builders!

WyckedWood

Hi ladies- it's been ages since I posted but I'm finally starting to work on my Beacon Hill again. And I have a problem. I posted this elsewhere on the forums, too, but I know all of you have this kit, so I thought I'd check here. The problem is, I've been carrying my little bundle of instructions all over the house to read in my spare time and think through what I want to do with this house. Now I'm ready to start and that bundle of instructions is nowhere to be found. Please, please, please, if anyone has theirs scanned and could email them to me, please let me know. It could be weeks before they turn up again in whatever brilliant location I put them to be "safe."

• 2 weeks later...

Nicole,I just started working on mine again too. I would help you,but my scanner isnt working. I hope you find the instructions! Im sure Greenleaf would send you a new set,if you need them to.

Im making some big changes to what I had already done to my BH....I was never happy with the way the siding turned out,or the color scheme,because of that Ive had the house sitting since last year,without being finished. Feels so great to finally get some inspiration! Im going creepier....older....and way more awesome......:D

I'm plugging away at mine finally too. Got the 3rd floor interior walls in dryfit right now, rest of the shell is glued. This house hates me for some reason, we have been fighting since day one. I've really been dragging my feet on it. Not sure if that's why it hates me, or if I'm dragging because we're not getting along.

I also had planned on wiring, but for some reason I am scared. I hope I don't chicken out, but I really want to get some progress made.

Karin, can't wait to see your new changes!

Im going creepier....older....and way more awesome......:yes:

:flowers: cant wait to see that!!! i'd love to do a haunted/spooky/Aadams beacon...hmmmm i think 2 is enough :flowers:

:yes: cant wait to see that!!! i'd love to do a haunted/spooky/Aadams beacon...hmmmm i think 2 is enough :flowers:
Linda, you could always build a Pierce or a Garfield as an Addams house...

LOL! The Rosedale would be a great creepy house!

As for my post yesterday....Im going to stop pretending to know what it wants to be and just go with the flow...cause it is creepy..but now more in a dark faerie way or maybe a white witch way...in my mind I started calling it The White Witch,instead of the Beacon Beast..lol....this house is killing me...

This is rough,and I havent aged it yet...but you get the point,non~traditional....Im interested in the steampunk movement,I think of it as the new Shabby Chic...I dont know how it will work into this house...yet :yes:....check out the blog Cauldron Craft Miniatures http://cauldroncraftminiatures.blogspot.com/ ...Grimdeva has really inspired me to go with my instinct and stop trying to stop myself from being bad;)

LOL...I cant take more pictures,its still in the phase of........"what the H did I do??..." lots of self doubt. So far there are only small pockets of it that are presentable. Stayed up late sanding trim...labor intensive,but I love all the trim on this house. Im glad for my purposes it doesnt have to look perfect!

Hello, fellow Beacon Hill-ers!

I just received my kit on Wednesday and had just started the stairs when I found this forum. Now that I know NOT TO USE HOT GLUE as per the instructions, I've taken it all apart, scraped off the hot glue (what a pain!), and have reassembled without any glue (dryfit?). I've started gluing some of the obvious, easy to reach corners and taping the heck out of it!

Can anyone tell me where to glue? Stupid question, I know, and I don't need a specific answer, but does every single joint need to have glue in it, or are the interlocking tabs enough in some cases?

Also, I have a wonky angle in the front where the Hall/Dining Partition meets the left wall front, at the top where it meets the 3rd floor. If I stick the tab in the slot, I have a less than 90 degree corner with the front piece. If I square the corner, the tab will no longer fit and the 3rd floor bows up in the middle. Anybody else have that problem, or am I just being too picky?

This is my first REAL dollhouse assembly...I've never made one before that had to be punched from a sheet of wood, sanded, and prepped...I may have bitten off more than I can chew, but I'm loving the challenge!

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth! I'm glad you got the hot glue off before you were too far in. It will be worth it in the end!

Mine is still in the early contstruction stages, so I tried to look and see which pieces you are having issues with. Some are already covered up, so I can't really see them too good, but I don't really remember problems there. I did have a problem when I went to put the 3rd floor wall in at that same area though. My suggestion is that if something doesn't fit, sand and/or cut it to make it fit and square. Glue will hold it. And yes, you should glue every joint, but read the instructions, because some joints you will need to hold off on until you've attached another piece.

Good luck and have fun!

Hi Elizabeth! I'm glad you got the hot glue off before you were too far in. It will be worth it in the end!

Mine is still in the early contstruction stages, so I tried to look and see which pieces you are having issues with. Some are already covered up, so I can't really see them too good, but I don't really remember problems there. I did have a problem when I went to put the 3rd floor wall in at that same area though. My suggestion is that if something doesn't fit, sand and/or cut it to make it fit and square. Glue will hold it. And yes, you should glue every joint, but read the instructions, because some joints you will need to hold off on until you've attached another piece.

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you Tracy...I'll keep fiddling with it...may just take that tab off altogether if I can't make it work! :lol:

Elizabeth

P.S. How do you get anything done with that cat hanging around? :) She's so pretty!

Elizabeth, another reason for the dry fit is that there are some parts of the house, like where the stairs are, that you won't be able to prime/ paint/ wallpaper/ work on the floor or ceiling treatments once it's all built, especially the stairwells... Also, I like to prep the doors & windows and their trims separately and mask off the places where they'll go until after I've done the rest of the wall & exterior treatments, so I don't ruin the clear plastic inserts (which I use clear-drying tacky glue on).

Especially in this house,do your wallpaper/paint in that stairwell before you add the stairs. I think it would be very hard to do it afterwards.DONT be afraid to cut tabs off! I had to cut tabs and a good slice of wood from the top of the first floor stairs to get it to fit. Glue,glue and glue on this house,its so big youll want it to be very strong! And Welcome to the group!! Glad you found us :lol:

...Glue,glue and glue on this house,its so big youll want it to be very strong!...
Stanley makes a heavy-duty stapler, I use mine to reinforce the edge joinings, since I cover the staples, slots & tabs with the exterior treatments anyway.

Working on the stairs now (and playing with wallpaper for the stairwells--thanks for putting that bug in my ear!)...are the treads supposed to hang over the risers by any substantial amount? Mine seem to be flush with the risers, but the photo shows an overhang. wondering if I missed a step somewhere...

I promise I'm not going to bug you all with every tiny detail! I feel like once I get a good start, I'll really get moving! Plus, this is a nice break from the build! :lol:

Elizabeth

Actually, the treads do overhang. But you have to search a little for them on the sheets. They say there's no difference, but there is. I didn't figure that out until I had my first staircase built though, so mine don't hang over. The second floor does though, once I figured it out.

Thank you Tracy...I'll keep fiddling with it...may just take that tab off altogether if I can't make it work! :lol:

Elizabeth

P.S. How do you get anything done with that cat hanging around? :) She's so pretty!

Hmmm... Maybe I'll blame the cat for my lack of progress!

Thanks, she is pretty, and pretty sweet too. She really hasn't bothered me too much on this build. Her favorite thing though is lying in or on the kit box. That sometimes makes it hard to get to the pieces.

Yep,I did the same thing with the stairs,thought I was going crazy,cause I knew there should be an overhang and the directions said they were all the same.. They ARE different sizes,get them all together and youll see. Id say maybe an 1/8 inch overhang.

Reached a milestone tonight, Im not finished with the house,still have paint and clay and interior doors to do....but I AM finished with the build! No more plywood sheets,they are all gone,all 37 of them :lol: ! Yay! WoW,what a house,huh? I feel a huge sense of accomplishment,more so than I ever have with any other build. Linda,I cant believe you did this twice! Cheers!

Youll get there Tracy! Goes pretty fast after the roof.

Does anyone know of a BH build where someone has added a roof onto the second story porch? Im thinking it would be pretty easy,just by taking a pattern from the first floor porch roof. Id love to see pictures before I spend an entire day trying to figure it out....:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

All I have to do is the base! These are not the completed pictures (Base, flowers and all stonework not shown) but this will give an idea of what it looked like as of June 1st

With Flower Boxes:

2006087000037881673S425x425Q85.jpg

Without Flower Boxes:

2040044120037881673S425x425Q85.jpg

The flower boxes are still not in because I have not heard back from the owner yet as to if she likes it this way or not (Of course they'll be filled with flowers LOL).

How are the rest of you coming along with your Beacon Hill? Karin & I started around the same time and it seems we are finishing this one around the same time. :D