Shout out to Beacon Hill builders!

WyckedWood

Thanks, I really like that one too....it was just too much white! I think if I would have painted all trims/shutters and absolutely everything white, it would have been fine...but since I added some color, the whites really needed to be broken up. Anyway, "Londyn", the young lady of the house, isn't at all conservative--she wants what she wants, and makes "Daddy" get it for her :wave: I'm curious to see how it will all come out! Thanks everyone :)

Stacey,

For your bathroom bubbles-have you tried making a tiny "cut" in it, then injecting a tiny bit of glue and sticking it down? I've heard that will work. It drives me crazy when I can cover it up so no one else can see it, but I still know it's there....I'm so weird,lol.

Sounds like you are making lots of progress!! Don't feel bad, I started mine in Feb of '07, lol...I'm about 1/3 done with the whole thing...but still lots of sanding and painting and gluing to go! Going to go peak at your gallery :clap:

Btw--yes, the Primrose is a piece of cake compared to thousands of pieces with the BH!

I have to take some time off from my BH....real life is intruding anyway,maybe thats a good thing,I needed a break from it. We bought a used RV from my brother in law and Ive been busy scouring it. How can men be such slobs?lol...(no offence to any men reading this:)anyway it will be nice when its done,I ordered new wallpaper border and camo fabric to redo all of the bench cushions. Going with kind of a man cave/lodge look. I wish I could rewallpaper the whole thing,Ive heard you can use vinyl to vinyl glue and its supposed to work well. Ive been breathing in bleach in a poorly ventilated trailer for three days....I think I almost died yesterday :) Its almost done:) I'll be back soon:)

Wow, sounds like it's going to be fun when done...unless it's a boys only club :) I'd love to have to and just take off and travel anywhere!

It's been kind of quiet around here ;)

One cool thing, I was able to put in 1 window!! Hurray!! It didnt kill me either!! I was kind of worried, it seemed kind of difficult in the instructions, but was easier than I thought.

Definately update :) It'll make you feel like you've made progress!! I love the wallpaper pattern you used for your dining room area!! I have a couple sheets of that and am looking for the perfect house for it!

Maybe you'll get motivated if you keep reading the forum....it either has that effect on me, or the opposite and I get bummed because I have too much RL to work on my mini life,lol.

I'm still staring at the shell and thinking. The porch will be lengthened to come to the edge of the kitchen bay. Will have to redo the porch columns, but that's in the future somewhere and no biggie. I still don't have red oak flooring yet and am trying to keep the bank account from getting worse right now, so I think I'm going to make templates for the flooring so it will be easier to cut it to fit later. It will be much easier to make the templates now while the walls and stairs aren't all finished and glued.

I probably need to start thinking seriously about the wallpaper and interior colors.

I just started adding the progress of building the Beacon Hill on my blog Here:

http://minisontheedge.blogspot.com/

I am sorting and editing the pictures today and trying to add all of it up to where I am at at this point. I know I have been promising and I just sat down today to get started on doing this. I am so in love with this house!!

:p Thanks for your Compliment Cathy! I am still working on the words to the blogs for the other days & Linda, Yes, that is Edward. I like to put him in the houses because people always complain about the floor to ceiling height in Greenleaf houses. Well, he is 7" tall (bigger than the average dollhouse miniature man in 1" scale) and he looks great so far on ALL of the floor levels in the Beacon hill.

:)

Okay, he just looks darn good period :cucumber:

Still painting....and painting...and painting!

I decided to skip ahead and work on the french doors and front door since it's more sanding and painting etc.

I am stuck though--wanted to add a little stained glass to the windows...not sure what to do though...I hate getting stuck...lol

What I really need to tackle next is the actually installing of the windows! Not sure why I' dragging my feet on that one...I guess because it's going to mean a lot of standing...and with my knee, it just doesn't sound like a lot of fun....

It's DH's birthday today, so I've got to pick up a couple things , so I won't get too much done today anyhow....

Well, I got unstuck...decided on the stained glass colors and installed the 4 single windows, double window, kitchen window(s), and "french doors"....

I will have to really do something to increase the size of the front door---I can't understand why the front door opening is so small when the trim assembly is almost 1/4 in. wider? Thought about sanding down the doors...but no need since they fit inside the "trim"...it's the actual door opening that needs to be fixed. Going to use my dremel, but just didn't feel up to it after all those windows today!

It's a major accomplishment because this is the part that's been stumping me for months!!!

Now on to the front bay and the dormer windows....scary stuff!

Here's a pic--there's a lot of touch up needed, but here's the general idea....

post-1675-1245288348_thumb.jpg

Welcome! Congrats, the BH is a great house...

I'm kind of a newbie too, so my tips are,

-- take your time, it's not a race, no sense in rushing and not being happy with the results (color choices, etc.)

--I like to paint before I build, it's easier for me, others paint after building

--read all you can about the BH on this forum--there's tons of knowledge, experience and creativit to soak up !

and check out Gina's(butterflyex) blog--she's built 2 BH's!! She's got lots of tips and pictures!!

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/

Have fun!

Hello everyone! I'm new to dollhouses. I'm about to start Beacon Hill and I was wondering if you guys have any tips specific to this house? General tips are welcome, too!

:]

Welcome! The BH is definitly a doozy for a starter house, but this site will definitely help you through from start to finish! And if you have a question you can't find the answer for, you post the question and you will get tons of responses! The BH is my second house. And like Cathy said, take your time with it, I've been working on mine for about 2 years now since I have a busy life otherwise, and the dollhouse is a great escape! Good luck and have fun :) !

Welcome! You'll find lots of help and ideas here. My number one tip is to number and label the pieces. For my first house, the Westville, my dear sweet youngest son hoped to help me out by punching all of the pieces out of the sheets. He forgot to label them. Since there are MANY more sheets for the BH, please take care and label any info on the pieces before removing them. I add the sheet number in pencil somewhere on each part. I like to check off the steps as I finished them in the instructions. I use a highlighter pen to outline the piece numbers on the instructions that are worked with in each step (I do this for 3 or 4 steps ahead of where I am). Good glue and lots of clamps in many sizes and masking tape are essential. With the BH wood sheets, I took them all out and stacked them against a wall in numerical order so I can find parts quickly. It helps to write the wood sheet numbers in bold black marker somewhere near a border and not on an actual part. Those dotted numbers are sometimes hard to spot. I save 'discard' scraps because they sometimes come in handy for other things.

Good luck!

very minor progress today. I extended the front porch lengthwise slightly to be even with the kitchen wall. Then extended the front step area to correspond with the new front door width. I'm Southern. We like big porches! The front steps will be longer.

I'm very happy with the colors (Mediterranean blues/ecru/turquoise) for the bathroom and have finished a Michaels hutch to be a bathroom towel cabinet. Painted it pale aqua outside/cream inside and added small gold knobs. I'm beginning to like those hutches a lot! A friend called from her travels in VA and has found me a kitchen set. Hope it fits, since even extended, the kitchen is tiny!

my friend brought home the kitchen set. A few photos showing bathroom and upstairs art studio. My youngest son took one of my pencil drawings, scanned it and made a small copy for the easel. I built the easel and drawing desk from wood scraps.

post-2290-1245542765_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1245542789_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1245542804_thumb.jpg

Hey Gayle, did you notice, we have the same bathroom set for our BH's--I really like that one--of course, someone dropped the sink, so I either need to somehow glue it or get a new set,lol

sounds like you got lots accomplished!!

I spent the day helping my daughter with her travel trailer, and then re-doing the stained glass for the conservatory...I like this much better...so far...

yes, I really like the set and it fits pretty easily even in the small BH kitchen area. There is a fold down breakfast table with two stools that Ernie carries that I like, but finances won't allow it, so I might try my hand at making something similar.

I need to go by A C Moore and pick up a few more sheets of the bathroom wallpaper. The 'tile flooring' is also scrapbooking paper.

The same shopper friend brought me several rooms worth of parquet flooring, so I need to decide where those will go.

Not a BH subject, but look at the little 1:144 stone church kit she found for me!

post-2290-1245586710_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1245586722_thumb.jpg

It does have some blue 'glass' window panels, though since the kit was partially put together when bought and has no instructions, I'm not sure all the parts are there. I keep any scraps of 1:144 projects, so can probably recreate if any are missing. I'd like to give the 'stonework' a simple wash of color, but am worried that it could cause warping. I'm going to make the roof removable. I have a kit somewhere that's similar but a larger scale (1/4 or 1/2) that I think it was put out by Northeastern

It does have some blue 'glass' window panels, though since the kit was partially put together when bought and has no instructions, I'm not sure all the parts are there. I keep any scraps of 1:144 projects, so can probably recreate if any are missing. I'd like to give the 'stonework' a simple wash of color, but am worried that it could cause warping. I'm going to make the roof removable. I have a kit somewhere that's similar but a larger scale (1/4 or 1/2) that I think it was put out by Northeastern
Instead of a wash, grate some gray & brown & orange chalk pastels and brush them sparingly into the lines between your stones with a liner brush, go back with Qtips to work the colors in and then seal it.