Shout out to Beacon Hill builders!

WyckedWood

Unless you HAVE to have shingles & siding (which you order from the Greenleaf store), what an opportunity to let your imagination go totally berserk. I'd probably go stone, or brick with quoins, and sandpaper shingles.

Ohhhhhhhh, I saw that beacon hill on eBay too. Still don't know is my keyboard is drool free! Please, please, please post picks! I loved the kitchen! So please post a few of that! Ahhh, it was too neat! Uh oh, I better go get paper towels. :happydance:

So I got my kit today, and much to my husbands surprise, I did not cry! lol! I am however curious about how much sanding I should do? Do I just do the edges? Or do I do the entire surface?

This is my first greenleaf, the first one I did was a RGT, and it being made out of MDF, didn't require that much sanding.

i only do the edges lightly....the less sanding the better i say :p

with the beacon kit (as its so many sheets) its best to mark whats what in pencil as ya pop it out and bag it marking each bag with what sheet it was on ;)

i've done two beacons...its not that hard that its scary...the dormer windows are a challenge until ya 'get ya head around' what ya trying to achieve...but all in all its a great build :D

Ask any 'silly' questions ya might have....there will be others wanting answers too...Gina's blog "moreminis'' is a fabulous resource for building ;)

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2007/08/my-s...hill-day-1.html

:happydance: a Beacon Hill :D do post lots of pics :D

How much you sand depends on the look you're going for. If you want lovely, smooth interior walls, you'll want to sand after priming/ staining; in any case sand the edges. After it's built I go over the exposed edges with a bit of spackle on my finger, but you can finish those edges in any number of attractive ways.

Oh thank you ladies!! I will post pictures, I am super excited. Quite frankly, I was expecting to be more overwhelmed than I am! The RGT that I built was more overwhelming than this. Perhaps it's because it is organized in sheets and I'm not just expected to match things to pictures. IDK, I'm really excited!!!! :p:happydance: ;) :D ;)

I swear this board has the best smileys!!

alright, for those of you that got the shingles in your kit... did you actually use them? They came in a sheet, and I cant seem to get them apart without them splintering like crazy!! I was going to go ahead and get them stained and ready, but goodness, they are about the most aggravating part so far!! :happydance:

I separated the shingles in strips, trying to keep them together as much as possible, then stained them, and when I attached them to the house I cut them all apart and put them on one by one, so that the color had variation instead of strips of them the same color. And I used hot glue to attach them, which is the ONLY time you are allowed to use hot glue when building a house.

Hot glue lets go of shingles over time, just like the other parts of the house built with it... I stain the entire sheets of shingles and separate them into strips to apply. Because I apply stain by hand with a rag, I get a fairly random application, even on a single sheet.

Yeah, I knew hot glue was a no-no on all the parts of the house other than the shingles just from browsing the other parts of the forum! LOL Thank you ladies!! :happydance:

And now for another question...

Exactly how far are the tabs supposed to go into the slots? I'm assembeling the shell of the interior right now and am having some problems getting the walls and floors and stuff to be flush with each other. HALP!

Masking tape will hold the walls,etc. in place until the glue dries. Use it as a clamp of sorts...I think I used a whole roll on this house:) Cutting or trimming a few tabs if you have to,wont hurt anything.

Okay, I was wary of doing anything to the slots/tabs, but you have to to get everything square!!! Thank you ladies for putting up with (and actually answering!) my zillions of questions, with zillions more to come I'm sure. :happydance:

The build is going well actually. I have most of the shell together, about to get started on the stairs (which looks tedious!).

Megan, one of the functions of this forum is to try to answer all the questions, as mini times as necessary. In case your tabs are too short you can fill the rest of the slot with wood putty or spackle and sand it smooth when dry.

I just love this forum, thank you ladies so much!! *hugs*!!

So, one word: Staircases.

OOF. I spent 5 days staining, sealing, assembling, and i just got those suckers installed. and PHEW. That was a TRIAL!

Tomorrow I plan on putting the front tower wall on and finishing the interior walls. We shall see!

I just love this house. It is hard, but it is soooo fun. I'm enjoying this one much more than I did the RGT's house! It just seems like I can be more creative with this one.

And also!! When did you ladies do wallpaper? I know with all the nooks and crannies, this will be a bear to wallpaper.
Whilst a dollhouse is in dry fit (and BEFORE installing anything such as windows, stairs, etc) I figure out what's going to be the worst places to get to to decorate and I go ahead and mask off the surfaces I need to glue and prime/ stain/ paint/ paper those. I also do floor preps at this time. I haven't built the BH, but I'll be rebuilding a Pierce and in addition to stairwells I'll have tower rooms.

BTW, I do go ahead and assemble the stairs after staining any parts I want stained, and move them around a bit to see how they look. Also, I usually build & decorate one floor at a time.

I hope this helps.

I didnt use wallpaper on the stairwell, but I did a wall treatment with paperclay before gluing the stairs in place. Any wall treatment would be very hard after those stairs are in place.

So now that the move is over with and we have finally settled into our new home, I am so excited to be back to work on the Beacon hill. I have been busy priming, painting and installing all of the horizontal and vertical trim. It is raining here today so my plan is to spend the entire day working on finishing up the trim and and painting the porch. Then it's on to the dormer windows, wish me luck!! I'm so happy to be back at it, I absolutely love this hobby!! I'm already thinking about what my next build is going to be!! :p:hmm:

As soon as I finish the shingles on my Fairfield, I will get back to work on my Beacon Hill. I'm getting kinda ready to get back to it now.

I have picked out a lot of the wallpaper for it. I am still undecided for the kitchen and bathroom, and maybe living room.

gallery_3297_4358_22339.jpg

The paper that is currently in the downstairs entryway/dining room is THE wallpaper for this house. Everything else is revolving around it. Do you think that room is a good enough focal point for it? I wanted it in the living room, but it is a little too short. I'm not sure I'll keep the pictured paper in the living room. I think I need something fancier. And I am not really loving the paper in the kitchen. It's a little too busy and flowery for me. There will be white wainscotting at least halfway up, any suggestions for the top part? I am using the Reutter sink and icebox with the blue flowers on it.

I love the downstairs entry paper!

Just a thought for the kitchen,HBS has a wallpaper called Blue Sonata that Ive always loved, would be pretty with that Reutter sink. Looks like youre having fun,lol!