Hinging an interior door in BH

WyckedWood

Ive also been wondering about hinges, I noticed there was another post about this. But I want to use regular mini brass hinges. Im looking at HBS catalogue and wondering which ones would work best for an interior Greenleaf size door in the Beacon Hill? There are so many different choices in the catalogue,and I have no clue. And do I need a special mini hammer ? Seems like such a stupid question,but I have no idea! Thanks!

You would probably want butterfly hinges, You can use glue or pliers. I use my Amati nailer and it works great. Well worth the money works well for brads too.

Thanks everyone, Corwin where would I get a nailer like that? Is it really small? I was thinking it would split the wood to hammer it? Im glad to hear Im not the only one who doesnt know:)

Thanks everyone, Corwin where would I get a nailer like that? Is it really small? I was thinking it would split the wood to hammer it? Im glad to hear Im not the only one who doesnt know:)

I bought mine from dpminiatures. She has great service and if she doesn't have something that you want she will try to order it for you.

The only dumb questions are the ones not asked, cause it would have been smarter to ask them. :(

Thanks everyone....Doogster I detect sarcasm? lol....I found the chamois tutorial on More Minis blog,that is sounding better and better, thanks everyone! I wondered why HBS never responded to my question;)

http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2008/07/cham...door-hinge.html

I use pin hinges as they don't show like the little hinges do. If I can't use pin hinges, I make double doors with a piece of tyvec (get it at your post office FREE) in between them, then glue the hinge to the wall and cover with trim. One envelope does a lot of hinges).

...Seems like such a stupid question,but I have no idea! Thanks!
You have been here since '05 and still have not learned there's no such thing as a "stupid" question? Shame on you! tsk, tsk.

I have posted in several threads my issues with brass hinges. Until the little brass brads are made with little flat heads so they'll fit flush with the hinge plates, which need to be slightly recessed into the edges of the door & frame to look realistic, they'll bind & won't work or fit right. I don't like the "toy" look of hinges glued or nailed to the face of the door and the face of the frame.

I started using chamois strips at my DH's suggestion because you can get a chamois detail rag at Pep Boys cheap and have a lifetime supply of hinge material and my other preferred material, twill tape, is getting harder to find. I have described how I do it in several threads, basically I cut strips 1/4" - 3/8" wide by 1/2" long and glue half the strip lengthwise to the hinge edge on the "wrong" side of one door panel (I use 3 strips to hinge a door, evenly spaced) and when it's dry I glue the other half of the door over it. At this point I proceed to fit the door, shaving & sanding as needed (and touching up the paint when it's done), to get it to move freely within the opening. Then I glue the other half of the hinge strips to the door frame. My RL house front doors all open to the inside, so I glue the hinge halves to the interior frame and when the assembly is dry I glue it all to the interior door opening and weight it down to dry.

I'm stubborn, so I'm still working on mastering pin-hinging.

Gosh, I've been gluing my hinges and so far so good-the doors open and everything.

But I now have different ideas to try out. Thanks all!! :)