This will touch your heart!

Jackiem

I seldom watch TV. I saw the clip only through the link here. I admit I feel like it may have been set up somewhat. Simon and the other judges don't seem absolutely as surprised as I thought they would (similar to how 'Antiques Roadshow' seems to work). I have an odd nudging feeling that they may have known she wasn't without talent a little before her performance. Not that it makes a difference. Her voice is lovely.

I seldom watch TV. I saw the clip only through the link here. I admit I feel like it may have been set up somewhat. Simon and the other judges don't seem absolutely as surprised as I thought they would (similar to how 'Antiques Roadshow' seems to work). I have an odd nudging feeling that they may have known she wasn't without talent a little before her performance. Not that it makes a difference. Her voice is lovely.

I think the show there works like here -- contestants have to go through several screenings before they make it to the televised version, and Simon & Co. aren't at any of those screenings. Then if the contestant makes it through them, they're on the televised show. So Simon and the other judges had to know that apparently she had some talent, otherwise she wouldn't have appeared before them. But clearly they were surprised at the quality of her talent!

• 1 month later...

Well, thought I'd post an update. She got through to the final, but was pipped to the number 1 spot by a dance troupe called Diversity. She came second and will I'm sure have a recording contract already!

I was disappointed that Susan didn't win, but I truly think that she is still going to have a career. I hope the Queen enjoys the dance group. Actually I was also rooting for Stavros and his version of Riverdance and his son to win! I watched all of their videos on Utube and about fell out of my chair laughing - over and over again! How funny they are! Now I think the Queen would have enjoyed THEM rather than the dance group that won.

Wolfie still chuckling.....

Somewhere on line I was told that she's already signed a contract for at least one CD, and is singing with some British orchestra...so she'll have at least gotten something out of it! I saw where the first prize was something like $150,000 American...does anyone know what second and third prizes are?

I don't follow any of these contests much, including the ones here in the US, but I did read an article here about "second place winners", and it seems like many of them have gone on to do better, and have more staying power, than some of the first place folks..so hopefully she'll do OK.

Well they've never said anything about second placed people officially getting anything from the show, but often they are snapped up anyway, so don't think she got anything but exposure from the show. Think that's all she needed anyway, her voice will do the rest :giggle:

Boyle's got an okay voice. But in the end if it wasn't for the OMG factor, no one would have ever heard of her. Lotsa people with voices better than hers. If she had looked like a trained singer she prolly wouldn't have gone past round 1.