I bought this house from micheals

asherah

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might end up doing brown for the trim. I looked at Glidden's website for complimentary colors and there's one called Spiced Cinnamon that's in the same color family and I think will pick up some of the browns in the shingles. I might go down to Home Depot this afternoon to look at paint chips and get a sample size.

I might also be reacting to the finish, which you can't really tell from these pictures. The house is painted with eggshell but the trim is more matte, which makes it kind of dull against the house. I'm thinking an eggshell or semi gloss for the trim might work better, be more consistent.

I just hope that painting over this doesn't mess it up. :/ I don't really feel like sanding off the gray (particularly the door, I don't think I could get into all the nooks and crannies without messing up the wood, anyway).

Hello Everyone! :p

Alamom, I like what you have done with your puzzle house. In particular the stoves on each floor, the rugs and what looks to be a disney character as the lady of the house. The exterior looks kewl too.

Roxxie, what other stuff have you collected. I also take the little milk things and butter and jam thingys, I know they have a name, but I can't remember them.

Sherry, yeah a red vase would look kewl on the glass table. I am still looking for that material with the animal print and silver color running through it...

Fov, I don't know if you remember me, but you were one of the first people that I met when I first came on the internet. Your puzzle house is coming along nicely with your usual professional touches. I was thinking that maybe a burnt brown color might might make it "pop" as Sherry says.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I am going to be 39 and that's my story and I am sticking to it. :p

Lots of "table trash" including some little stirrers that I hadn't seen before, half and half containers etc

I found a few things on the beach...I am old beach comber from way back. A chain of some kind that might have a use, a little jar thing, lots of good junk! Here's some of it :)

post-4159-1253823541_thumb.jpg

I like all your buried treasure, Roxxie - as you say, lots of good junk! :)

Fov, the brown you're thinking of sounds good - or, the trim done in the darker gray of the shingles would look great - IMHO.

I like the little urn thingie the best! Seashells! I have tons of them and just store them in jars. I never thought to make a bathroom out of them. I remember collecting buckets full of them as a kid and never realizing that my parents were taking them back to the beach after a while just to get rid of them! :)

The entire bathroom in the Arthur I built was made all from seashells; my newest DIL has the house & her niece removed all the fixtures, which I'm sure no longer exist, but the picture is still in my section of the Team Arthur building blog. The McKinley bathroom lavatory is all seashells; the bathtub is a large clamshell with a polyclay sculpted base of waves, and the commode is sculpted out of polyclay to look like a dolphin (thank Patricia King for that one!):

gallery_8_305_93531.jpg

LOL Sherry! I think barnacles would make kind of a scratchy toilet seat however. Ouch!

I am thinking I might take a detour and make a gingerbread house from one of my puzzle houses. I have a picture in my head of how it should look...kind of like Hansel and Gretel...??

That's on my list of future projects! I think the puzzle houses would make great gingerbread houses - hope you decide to do that. (I've been collecting bits and pieces for a while now, but they all work for a 1:12 scale dh, so I won't be using a Michaels house for my gingerbread cottage.)

I went to Home Depot yesterday and ended up picking up two potential trim colors - one light and one dark. I'm pretty sure I'm going go with the light one. It's called Sandy Feet (heh) and it's a peachy off-white color that goes well with my Belgian Waffle. I already did one coat on the windows and door and it's a little blotchy looking on top of the gray but I'm hoping it'll even out after the second coat. If not, I might have to pick up new windows and door, which would be a drag. (I also broke the door pulling it out, because I sort of forced it in while it was still drying and it got stuck, which is totally my fault but still annoying. I think I'll be able to put it back together though -- and it's easier to paint in pieces!)

I have to say, I'm really impressed by the Glidden sample sizes. $2.97 a piece and you don't have to get them mixed at the paint counter, they're pre-mixed. I only used Glidden paint on the house in the first place since it was free, but now that I've seen their samples and all the colors that are available, I might want to use them for future projects as well. They code their colors with different symbols to make it easy to tell which shades will complement each other, which is helpful for people like me for whom color matching isn't exactly second nature...

I'm almost done shingling the front roof. That was the bulk of the shingling so I think the back and the gable will go quickly. I'll try to post some pictures later this weekend.

Also - hi Dolores! Of course I remember you. Nice to "see" you again. :)

I was thinking to use real candy pieces and just stray them with poly to preserve them. Do you think they would disintegrate eventually?

I have to check out those Glidden paints you mentioned Fov. I bought the test size colors at Lowes that had to be mixed and what a hassle that turned out to be. Thanks for mentioning those!

Roxxie, I don't think real candy is a great idea. Check at your craft stores, Walmart, etc, in their Christmas decorations, which they are already putting out. Hobby Lobby especially, has miniature ornaments for small trees, and a lot of them are candies, etc. Look on Crafts etc and see if they have them to order. They are the perfect size, and no worries about staining, ants, stickiness, and stuff you would probably get with the real stuff.

I agree with Sherry, Roxxie - real candy will be a problem sooner or later, one way or another! I have bought Christmas decorations at Michaels (in the Clearance sales after Christmas) - you can find all sorts of candy-themed items. Also, as Sherry suggested, polymer clay is great for candies. If you mix a little coloured clay into translucent, you can make the hard boiled candies. (Like Lifesavers.) They look real, alright!

Thanks! I thought about it and I see what you mean. I did see a lot of little decorations in Michaels yesterday and I would like to try and make some from the clay. I never did much of that but its something to work on.

I use to make real gingerbread houses complete with gingerbread trees sometimes a whole scene on my diningroom table. Back then I had my own kids at home and about 30 piano students coming to my house.

The kids use to wait to see what I would create each year and it was lots of fun. One thing I did was at the end of the holiday season I never knew what to do with all the gingerbread pieces so I would have a drawing and the kids got to take home pieces. I had to make enough of course so everyone got at least a piece to take home. They really loved it. I digress. I am thinking a gingerbread dollhouse would at least keep until next year! B)

One Christmas I tried making actual gingerbread houses using the Greenleaf Village houses as a guide. I lived in a wet area (near the beach) and they didn't hold together too well. Now I live in a much dryer place and was thinking about giving the gingerbread houses another go this Christmas... I think the puzzle house would be great to base the pieces on since they are a bit larger than the Greenleaf village. Too bad I already built my puzzle house and don't have another one to trace...

(I know that's not exactly what you guys are talking about, but it sparked my imagination!)

Speaking of gingerbread... I misremembered the shade of paint I was looking for - it wasn't Spiced Cinnamon, but Spiced Gingerbread. You might want to seek it out if you're going to make the puzzle houses into a gingerbread house. B) (I didn't end up getting it though.)

For "frosting", I wonder if it would be possible to run fimo or watered-down wood putty through one of those pastry bags with a piping attachment on the end? Or would it get all gunked up?

I think it would be fairly easy to make Fimo that looks like hard candy. You could make peppermint candies by making a "tube" of Fimo with the correct distribution of red and white stripes, and then slice it up to make the candies. My mom always uses non-pareils (the chocolate discs with the little white balls on top) to shingle her gingerbread houses... that seems like it would also be easy to make, if you can find some little white balls to sprinkle on top of brown Fimo discs. I've definitely seen fake candies in craft stores and Christmas shops, too.

Just another comment on the idea of using real candy for your "gingerbread house" trim. Once I made up a case clock kit and decorated it with raw rice grains & sesame seeds which I first painted gold,, and then submerged under three coats of poly. When I finished the build I made it for and went to put it in its place there were places on the raw wood where the grains/ seeds had been; the bugs ate them, along with their coats of paint & poly! (I replaced them with glue drips, which I repainted)