Physical Therapy

Deb

Sounds as if you're on the right track with a knowledgable and attentive therapist. Hooray! :)

BTW, St Pat's Day is on the 17th, a Tuesday. We're going to the St Paddy's Day Parade in New Orleans that day ... kind of a mini Mardi Gras. :p

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My PT appointment yesterday didn't go so well. He started out with telling me he'd researched fibromyalgia and decided that there's no difference between that and anyone else and we'd add back some strengthening exercises to the stretching. He had me start off with some pilates, then go onto the ball exercises. I managed to get thru 60 reps of two different exercises and by then my lower back was agony. I was bent over and fighting back the tears of frustration and pain. I told him that I just couldn't do anymore so he stretched me and called it a day.

On the way out, he said he had some information about fibro for me from his textbook. He showed me the textbook and there was all of four pages on fibro. <snort> That's not exactly comprehensive. What he gave me that was copied from the textbook said the exact same thing that I told him last week. He'd even highlighted the parts that said fibro patients shouldn't start with aerobics or strengthening.......the course of action is ultrasound, heat and stretching. And it stressed that any muscle with an active trigger point can't be strengthened without risk of damage. I have no idea why he is choosing to ignore that. Maybe he didn't read his own book.

Anyway, I've spent yesterday and today roaming the house and alternating between the bed, the couch, the loveseat, the recliner, the desk chair and the chaise trying to find some place where I can be comfortable but haven't found a sweet spot yet. I spent the night walking the floor for the most part. I've been so muddled on pain pills that I can't think straight but they're not doing much for the pain.

I know that PT is going to hurt but this isn't just the normal hurting of muscles being used after inactivity. This is pain that says something is wrong. I know the difference between the two. PT shouldn't be making me worse instead of better and I shouldn't have delayed onset pain or pain at rest.

The good thing is that I have an appointment with my rheumatologist on Friday before my next PT appointment. I'll get things straight with her and make sure that she gives me a 'script to modify the PT or stop it entirely till they get the trigger points under control. I'd just stop PT on my own but if I do that the insurance company will stick me with the whole bill. I have to be released by the Dr before they'll pay.

I'm going back to my rounds of walking the floor and trying to find someplace comfy.

Deb

Arrrgh, I so wish I could have been there next to the PT guy kicking his butt as to stop the torturing Deb!

Will send positive soothing thoughts your way!!!!

Gentle hugs coming your way :hu:

Gentle massage by remote of the nonpainful muscles to try calming everything, followed by the gentle insertion of the Pilate's ball into the PT person's lower orifice. Oh, did that hurt? Oh, well, no pain, no gain.

Gentle massage by remote of the areas that don't hurt in hopes that relaxation of the surrounding tissues will help calm the trigger points, followed by gently inserting the Pilate's ball into the therapist's nethermost orifice. <Oh, was that uncomfortable? Oh, well, no pain, no gain>

Tomorrow I have PT in the morning and Nazi torture test in the afternoon. My foot does better when it is at rest. If I do basically nothing it feels fine but still a bit numb. If I do things like walk, sit, stand (ROFL) then it starts to act up again.

I hope they figure this out cause I have yard work to do. Spring is only a few days away!

Just got back from PT. Not bad at all. He gave me three more stretching exercises to do at home so now I have six to do every day. I spent 10 mins on a sort of stationary type bike thing.

My legs are strong but when I get the okay to go to the gym, I need to work my arms and upper body. I am not weak like a kitten but boy did those exercises hurt!

He gave me opportunities to stop and rest when it got too painful. My sessions are 30 mins each. Next one is on Friday.

I recall a weight machine for leg-stretches that would be helpful for the affected foot/ lower leg, discuss it with your therapist before working with it, though. For arms & upper body I liked the bar you could pull down on.

I recall a weight machine for leg-stretches that would be helpful for the affected foot/ lower leg, discuss it with your therapist before working with it, though. For arms & upper body I liked the bar you could pull down on.

He has me doing a modified push up that is to stretch the sciatic nerve. You lay on your stomach with your arms/hands in a push up position. You only lift your upper body and keep you hips on the table. Ouch! After the first rep of ten I was hurting. So I shook my arms for a minute and did the other rep.

He wants to wait until I have done a full week (this week) of PT to see how I am doing. If I am doing well, he will tell me what I can do at the gym during the week that will not kill me..LOL

So I lucked out and did not get a sadistic therapist. We were talking about our dogs, he has a boxer. He got engaged two weeks ago so talking about that. So he has a way of putting the therapy out of your mind while you are doing it. I will find out tomorrow if I am achy but this morning I am fine.

I'm free!! I'm free!!!! Actually, I'm on sale for $1.99 but that's beside the point. What I'm free of is PT! I saw my rheumatologist today and she said that PT is causing damage and to stop immediately. I called my PT from the parking lot and told him, "My dr says I can't see you no more". <cackle>

I'm not pleased about the damage caused but the dr doesn't think it's permanent. She said that I'm right about the trigger points and if the PT had listened to what I told him the damage wouldn't have been so bad. It's the strengthening of muscles with trigger points in them that's causing the problems.

Last week, he wrecked me good. I sat down on the kitchen floor the other night to get something out of the bottom cupboard and couldn't get up. I sat there for almost an hour before I could crawl to the sink and pull myself up. I haven't been able to walk, sit or lay down for about a week because the pain has been so bad.

Before I started PT I was doing a tai chi routine that includes gentle stretching 5 times a week, I was up to 6 minutes twice a day on the treadmill and had lost 10 pounds. I can't do any of that anymore. I wasn't on pain pills before that either. I don't consider this to be progress. The dr says in about a week or two I should be able to go back to the tai chi and treadmill which she said was the perfect exercise routine for me in the first place. (it's the insurance company that insisted I had to go to PT)

I'm so relieved. I also got good news about my hands. The dr thinks that we may be able to avoid surgery after all. Yay!! She thinks the problem there is probably due to trigger points in my arms. And she said the pain pills I'm on are non-narcotic so I can continue taking them because they'll help the myofacia loosen it's grip on my muscles which will take the pressure off the trigger points.

I'm a much happier lady today. And now I'm going to go take my meds, curl up in the recliner with Napoleon and try to relax a little bit.

Deb

I think you should write a letter to that PT's superior. He needs to learn to listen to his patients before he does severe damage. I am sure glad that this did not turn out to be permanent. Keep up the good work and I am sure you will be feeling better in no time.

My dr said that she'd be in touch with his office about discontinuing my PT so I'm sure she'll have something to say about it. I have a really strong feeling that somewhere later on in his life, that PT is going to gain a lesson from this. Karma always catches up. It's not that he was mean or anything.......he just didn't listen. I think he may have resented me trying to educate him on a topic that he admitted he didn't know anything about too.

I feel better today but I think that most of that is not being tense in anticipation of the PT and more pain. My body is a little more relaxed knowing that I'm not going to be in intense pain tomorrow.

Deb

Well I knew I liked your doctor Deb :D and I am so happy to hear that she listens to you and that you don't have to go through another round of sheer torture! :doh: And hopefully her contact with the PT's office will gain knowledge there as well.

Happy, happy, happy to hear that you might not have to face an operation on your hands. Will keep fingers crossed >looking down realizing it might be hard to type with this finger position...<

HUGS

Yippee! I am glad you got rid of him. He probably has no clue and will never get a clue.

Do the exercises that you know will not kill you and hopefully you can help yourself! I was worried about you being in so much pain.

I am going to the gym today. I want to pick up my membership card and check out what kinds of machines they have to offer. I will do just a bit of this and that but I will not over do it.

I have an 8am appointment with PT tomorrow. I hope it is better this time then the last time. I have noticed something though. I have more energy and I have lost a bit of weight without really trying. The days I do not have PT, my energy level goes back down to *normal*. So we will see what the extra work at the gym in between will do for me.

Another semi torture PT today. I skipped on Tuesday because of Chingy so i had to make up for it today. He told me why he is pressing/manipulating my back area..near the spine where the pain is.

He says it is not a build up of muscle but it is like I am twisted. I do not have a curved spine (we all do have varying degrees of it but I do not have scoliosis). It can happen when you have lifted something or it can just happen for no reason at all. It is kind of like it locks into that position. So the hard pressing he does helps to loosen it up so that it will not be like that. My tolerance for pain plays into this too. He said that I was tolerating a stage 4 which is the hardest he is allowed to push. Most people cannot tolerate anywhere near that much. It did not hurt. Actually felt pretty good. It is afterward. But he said the pain will subside in a couple days..like the last time.

He had me do a horrendous stretch! OMG! Those muscles havent worked in 20 years. Picture this if you will.

Lay on your back with head flat on table/floor. Knees bent/ feet on table floor. Now lift your butt off the table. While keeping that position, take one leg and lift it up in the air. Keeping butt off the table still..put your leg back down, then put your butt down. Now do 2 sets of 10 reps of those! I was sweating! OMG! LOL

So I am okay now but I will be hurting later on today.

I did have a bit of a set back. Took a shower yesterday and when I turned to rinse my hair I get a pain in that spot in my back and then my foot went numb again. My foot has been doing really good lately (as you can see I havent talked about it). It is okay today but I felt like I went back two steps. I have a appt with Dr. Wet Noodle in two weeks. I will tell him about that. Maybe he will issue an MRI or CatScan after all. My leg hurts a bit on my thigh but NOTHING like the first time.

I dont wanna go today. Waaaaaa!

He is gonna push on my back again. I just know it. I think I have this session and two more. Then I have to wait and see if they are going to add more.

Edit: I`m going I`m going. *grumble*

Heidi, are there exercises you can do at home with the Wii Fit that will help bridge the PT sessions? I notice you've been talking about going to the gym lately, but haven't mentioned using the Wii. I'm still considering getting a Wii, but after the first burst of enthusiasm (when they were so hard to get), most of the people I know who got one no longer use it. Not the best investment for them.

Kathie,

It was fun to use but after awhile we just did not use it anymore. We had a slip cover for it so it was practically new. We found a buyer for it and recouped all the money back that we paid for it.

I bought a yoga mat for $5 and 3 yoga tapes for $5. I am going to do those plus the gym. I had to get the mat so that I can do my PT exercises at home everyday.

The gym has the elliptical machines that I need to use to stretch the nerve in my back and strengthen my stomach muscles.

So..for us..in the end..the Wii Fit was not a good fit.

He says that I am doing very well. He is impressed. My foot is not numb anymore except if I do stuff that triggers my back to make it go numb. That is an issue the dr will have to work on when I go for my visit in a couple weeks.

Ahhh ... thanks for the update on the Wii, Heidi. I'm glad you were able to get out of it whole.

Sounds as if the PT guy knows his stuff. Congratulations on making such good progress! ;)

Deb, He took out the freakin exercise ball!

Let`s just say that my pain level was nil when I got there..now it is up to the 3-4 column of pain. I thought today was my last one. Au Contrairie Mon Frere! They wanted to get me in for ONE more before the 12th...I guess that is when my window ends. I cannot do it on Thursday because I will be in Motor Vehicle hell and I cannot do it on Friday because he is fully booked..So that leaves..TOMORROW! No break for me.

I have to honestly admit that this has helped me alot. I still have issues with my foot but the leg is doing great. I had an appointment with my *head* therapist and I told her what was going on. She suffers from sciatica and she said that the foot thing is NOT sciatica. She said to make sure I PUSH Dr. Wet Noodle on that fact..push hard that my back NEEDS to be checked with an MRI or Catscan.

So I will push him and if he does not budge, I will tell him I want a second opinion or why can he not just humor me? Just humor me and have the scans done. Fred works for the hospital so you know the insurance is good. If there is nothing there, then I will go on being hobbled for however long it lasts.

So yup..gotta do this again tomorrow. Ugh! And here is the BEST part. I have to go in at 4:30pm. I have to have things done in the morning because my energy levels go downhill by the afternoon. I am going to be one cranky witch tomorrow.

Deb, He took out the freakin exercise ball!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! Not the ball!! It's taken me weeks to just be able to sit on it without falling off. But sitting on it increases core stability even without moving so it does have it's benefits. Does he have you rolling it up the wall and doing push ups on it?

I have an idea about Dr Wet Noodle. Get a taser and zap him till he says that he'll do an MRI to find out what's going on with you foot. If your body parts are going to flop around, then so can his!! Keep him twitchy till he gives in!!

Deb