HBS

nuttiwebgal

What a great thing! Beacon Hill...here I come!!!! :D

*Everyone* needs a Beacon Hill. And there's no better time to get one than when there's a big sale. I got mine on a 40% off at Joanns. It's currently 4th in line of the houses waiting to be built but I pick up things for it here and there. I'm planning to really go all out to make it a showplace, so the anticipation of building it one of my "happy thoughts". So yes dear, you should definitely add the Beacon Hill to your collection. In fact, I think it's a law somewhere that you need one. If it isn't, we'll write one up for you real quick. :lol:

Me too! My credit card is all ready to be hit with a Beacon Hill :lol:

See? It is a law somewhere! :D But it's such a gorgeous house. Who could possibly resist a Beacon Hill? Good for you Caitriona!

So far I've decided I'm definitely getting the Willow. Then I decided, no - no - no - go for the gusto and get the front-opening montgomery. Then I decided nah, I can get that one next time, get the Beacon Hill - because the photo's of everyone else's Beacon Hill are so inspiring and I want to make a beautiful house like that too! After determining that the Beacon Hill was absolutely, positively my final choice, I of course looked through my old catalog again and started wondering where in my house I might fit the Queen Anne II!

Now that's what I call a seriously hard choice to make. If you look at Teresa's Beacon Hill, it makes you think that life just wouldn't be complete without one......but then that Queen Anne is reeeeeeeeally something. So which one is it going to be?

While looking at all the different choices online last night, my husband said "you're getting a little obsessive about this dollhouse thing, Lisa". Without missing a beat I told him "yeah, I realize that, but we aren't going to examine that too closely, now are we?" :lol:

heheheheeheheee I like the way you think!

So, since the 20% off sale is on till the 27th, I'm thinking I'll split my order and get the little stuff now and then order a house on the 3rd. The best of both worlds! In fact, it might work out best if I get the Aster on the 20% off sale and then I can get another house on the 3rd. <raising one eyebrow> Okay, I gotta go shop now.

Deb

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The contest pictures are only in the new catalog. I havn't got one yet either, but me better half has, and it does say one per member, which we both are. Besides I've given Ernie a fair bit of business in the recent past and plan more, got some ideas cooking. I'm thinking the RGT Lighthouse (75 bones at half price) and the lightkeepers house (only 50) would be a fun build. I'm thinking you could go to town with weathering.

Doogster,

I think you'll really like the lighthouse. I have the 1/2" scale one and have just about finished it.. if I can just find what I did with the lighting parts lol :lol: It's a pretty easy build nothing to do really except put it together and paint it. I'm thinking about going with copper on the lightouse top.. but until I make up my mind I just painted it white. It was my first time working with MDF.. one thing I learned is do NOT make any mistakes while gluing.. MDF does not pry appart easily :D:D Silly mistake really I put one of the floors in wrong. But it's fixed. It's a great kit if you love ocean stuff

And I"m glad to hear there are a few others who haven't recieved the catalog yet.. maybe there's a chance we'll all still them :lol:

-David

Nutti -

I'm thinking of ordering one of the 1:144 kits from HBS on April 3rd. I'm torn between the Beacon Hill (thought it would be cute to have a miniature version inside), or the Ferris Wheel. I've not built a 1:144 yet, just decorated one. Is the Ferris Wheel a difficult build? Would that perhaps be a better starting place. What would you recommend for a newby 1:144 builder?

Susanne

well I started with the 20$ victorian bay house and it was not so bad. than the ferris wheel

the major difficulty in any 1/144th scale is the preplanning if you want interior decorating

The beacon Hill is not difficult one so if thats the one ya want than go for it!

my problem with all my mini projects at this time is I cannot get into them because I am preoccupied with my trip comming up in 5 days!

so everything I touch is turning to KAKA!

I look forward to hearing what everyone chooses on sale day!

nutti :D

I really want to get the 1/2 scale Thornhill, but I think I'll have to wait until next year's 50% off sale. :D So I'm trying to decide between the 1/144" Beacon Hill, or one of the other 1/144" kits, or a living room set that I've been thinking of getting. Decisions, decisions!

I just added my final choice to my wishlist. As they say: in for a penny, in for a pound. I've earmarked the Montclair with additions set offered as an exclusive. So unless you can't get the 50% off that set, I'll be a happy bunny. Otherwise I'll get the lighthouse.

I followed my first plan of attack and ordered the Aster last night on the 20% off sale. It's going to be the emerald fairy house. I've got the order for the 3rd narrowed down to either the Magnolia or the RGT Conservatory. If I get the Conservatory I think I'll bash it together with the Beacon Hill. Hmmmmmm.......good thing there's a little bit of time to decide.

Deb

Yaaaayyy!! My catalog came in todays mail!! Wheeee! Oh man those entries are awesome! I feel like the red headed step child (creatively speaking). I bought the grand room box and didn't come up with Anything that good. Even my best idea (which I'm so glad now I didn't do) wouldn't have come anywhere Near those entries in my wildest day dreams! But now I've got lots of other (and better) ideas from looking at those fantastic entries - Awesome stuff those folks did!

As for my 50% off item.. well.. I really want the Harrison... I just can't decide if I want to spend that much though I have to admit at 50% off it's one heck of a good price!! I'll probably break down and get it cause it's one I want for me.. I just need to get some of these other houses finished up to make room for it.

-David

I also like the Harrison & the Magnolia, but over half my pension goes to pay my medical insurance so it doesn't leave a lot for minis (but that's where most of the rest goes anyway ;) ). David, I had fun figuring out how to make the wierd-shaped roombox look like an atrium and how to achieve some new effects and try out some ideas, since I had the kit anyway, and I figured if the pictures turned out I might get the kit for this year's contest (which I did), so I don't mind one bit that mine might not have looked as "purty" as the winners pictured. You go ahead and do the best job you can and enter anyway <_<

David, I had fun figuring out how to make the wierd-shaped roombox look like an atrium and how to achieve some new effects and try out some ideas,

Atrium, you mean like in the heart? Man we coulda done a great one together, I just got my Proteus from 'Fantastic Voyage' a coupla weeks ago. Can ya see it, a diorama, the atrium with the Proteus sailing through, we could have done a valve, tri or mitral, cordae, made some blood cells, a few antibodies. Gotta admit, it would have been original.

Just a thought, anyone considered doing the Travel Trailer for the new contest as a spaceship? Ala Lone Star's spaceship-Winnebago from Spaceballs?

Atrium, you mean like in the heart?

Now that's an idea! No, I was making a roombox for DS#3, who is very taken with Ancient Rome & has even gone so far as to teach himself a bit of Latin. This is what I came up with (the ceiling is removable & I removed it for this picture, there are more in my "houses" album).

Just a thought, anyone considered doing the Travel Trailer for the new contest as a spaceship? Ala Lone Star's spaceship-Winnebago from Spaceballs?

LOL - now there's an idea! Go for it Doogster ;) You know that never even dawned on me but I bet it coudl be turned into a winebego by someone with a lot of imagination! I'm still looking to finish mine as a standard trailer.. I have no idea why. I guess I'm just stuck on it but I need to make a folding bunk bed area where front is.. that's my idea anyway .. not really sure its feesable but I'd like to have the dining area double as bunk beds.. doubling as a double bed would be pretty easy.. bunks.. I don't know. <_<

-David

have the dining area double as bunk beds.. doubling as a double bed would be pretty easy.. bunks.. I don't know

It's not that difficult, the table lowers to the level of the bench seats and the back cushions go on it to make the dinette a double bed. You simply make the upper cupboard a fold-down single berth, like on a Pullman sleeper car, and you have bunkbeds. These became unpopular with campers who wanted to use the cupboards space as a cupboard.

I want to make mine up as a regular travel trailer, too <_<

I just put in my order for most of those items I need to finish the construction on my Montclair. The 20% off really helped and so I ordered just about everything I will need to finish.

Bev

It's not that difficult, the table lowers to the level of the bench seats and the back cushions go on it to make the dinette a double bed. You simply make the upper cupboard a fold-down single berth, like on a Pullman sleeper car, and you have bunkbeds. These became unpopular with campers who wanted to use the cupboards space as a cupboard.

I want to make mine up as a regular travel trailer, too ;)

Ohhhh! Now why didn't I think of that? Holly you're a genius! I should know by now that all I have to do is ask and someone here will have the answer :p I've been mulling over that for 2 months trying to figure out how to get that upper bunk in! <_<

Thanks!!!

-David :blink:

It's here it's here it's here ... my new HBS catalogue. They're "looking" for my federal express package order that I made 2 weeks ago <_< Meanwhile, I placed another internet order on Wednesday for items I need for my April swap project. snicker snicker I'm so excited, Ray's going to help me get started right after dinner. Okay, I'm full let's get started!!

Anyway, the order I placed on Wednesday arrived, and I've now got my HBS catalogue. The contest entries are incredible. I'd like to see them all.

I'm leaning towards ordering the 1:144 Beacon Hill as my 50% off item. I love hearing what everyone else is thinking about.

Susanne

Holly you're a genius!
ROTFLMREO! David, my dear, I've been called a lot of things in 64+ years, but that's the first time anyone's called me a genius... :p I vaguely remember seeing some such arrangement in an antique camper, just can't recall where I saw it!

That's OK, Susanne, I snailmailed a goody box nearly two weeks ago & the person has still not received it :blink: ;) <_<

Now that's an idea! No, I was making a roombox for DS#3, who is very taken with Ancient Rome & has even gone so far as to teach himself a bit of Latin. This is what I came up with (the ceiling is removable & I removed it for this picture, there are more in my "houses" album).

Holly - Love the Roman room setting! And good for your DS#3 - Latin is a tough language to learn been trying that myself for the last few years off and on.. mostly off - even took it at the local college - poor teacher could not understand how I could read it out of the book without a hessitation and sound fluent but not be able to translate it . heheh - that's what happens when a dyslexic takes latin LOL Base words easy - declentions?.. grrrr! It would also help if I read the posts in order wouldn't it! ;) And if no one's called you a genius before then it's long over due!! I'm not kidding when I say I've been pondering that top bunk for months! sheesh <_<

<hug>

-David

$Tree had some really sleazy little girls' jewelry with religious pictures, the chain would be perfect to bash into the chains for the bunk to unfold by. I would suggest cutting the heads off of the dressmaker's straight pins and doing the base of the bed from a pivot, rather than tring to work out something with hinges.

I'm almost tempted, the kit's cheap as chips. When does the contest finish? I wouldn't try to make a Wnni out of the trailer, but a spaceship, along the lines of Lone Star's from Spaceballs. His ship was a Winni with wings and engines. Could be fun, adding the drive to the back for the engines, Maybe a dish to the front of the tow hitch as a deflector. That kind of thing.