OVAL WINDOWS HELP!!!

rlkinnison

Hi! I thought mabey someone in teh general area can help me! I have A Greenleaf Pierce dollhouse, minus the oval window trim.....I am making.... or I should better say, TRYING to make the trim myself from basswood, but have NO idea where to get replacement acrylic for the windows? I really hate acrylic windows, and would rather have glass, but cant find anyone that makes oval windows~ any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Rachael

Hi Rachael, and a belated :lol: to the community!

If you get the wooden trim made -- and that's the hard part, more power to you! -- you can use any kind of clear acrylic for the window panes. Transparency sheets for overhead projectors work well, and there are free options, too, like the clear blister packs on various items. It can be cut with scissors.

I made the mistake of rocking in all my windows and did not notice that somehow I forgot to put the actual window in one of them :) So I was happy that I had bought a air freshener that came in the clear acrylic box. I ran down stairs and sure enough it was still there. I was able to cut it to the right size and thank goodness it would bend enough for me to slide it in!! It worked great and you can not tell which one it is unless you inspect them. So if you wondering what this story has to do with anything? well I don't remember what the point was but anyway I thought I'd share it. :lol:

I'm not sure what size you are looking for,but I've seen oval shaped picture frames in various sizes in dollar stores. The inserts are made of glass. Otherwise, I'd also cut my own, out of clear packaging. If you are missing many windows, it may be worth your while to call the nice folks at GL, and get new ones. They fixed me up fast, and it was cheap, when my Willow window inserts got thrown out by accident.

I have the habit of when I get something that comes in a nice blister pack, I cut the flat piece & save them in a big envelope for later use. Our local deli has the greatest take out containers !! :lol: If you want hard windows, like glass, you could try to get small pieces of thin plexiglas at a place like Lowe's, but sometimes it can be hard to cut.

Steve in PA

If you are making your own oval window trims, you could cut cardboard or card stock identical to the wooden one and glue it to the back of the wooden frame and it would be heavier and easy to glue in place. As for the glass, try the clear plastic in packaging materials for things like cell phones, etc. Sometimes it's heavier and more like plexiglass and very clear.

And welcome to the forum!

OHHHHHH YES YES YES!

THANKYOU for the great ideas~ I had never even thought about cutting packing.....the next time I go to walmart, I will be shopping for clear plastic....NOT what is inside it! hee hee

I feel stupid not thinking of that. I very much enjoy the forrum now that I have found it~ I was given my Pierce 26 years ago for Christmas... I was 11 years old. I have been working on it off and on ever since, but when I put it together all those years ago, I never liked the windows, so put them right in the garbage....I always wanted real working windows. When I found out, thru calling GL this month, that Timberbrook has gone out of business ~ the ones who made the working windows for my house, I was all a frantic trying to find them! I found a seller on eBay selling the house along with the working windows, and I begged them long enough they sold me just the windows~ so FINALLY, I am working on getting the windows in! I see Lilliput is making an oval window, but it is way to big for my pierce.

THANKYOU everyone for your help~ I really appreciate it.

Rachael

The first kit I ever built for the Building Team was the Arthur, and one of the plastic inserts for the windows was missing. It never even occurred to me to contact GL for a replacement, I was in the "building frenzy" (Deb calls it "The Zone") and I just grabbed the first piece of clear plastic packaging that came to my hand that fit the indow opening, and you can read about it in my section of the Team Arthur blog. I never looked back!