Is anybody else trying to lose some pounds?

SuzyQ

Went to the diabetes doctor today. :o

She wants me to lose 10 lbs by beginning of October. She didnt replace my Lipitor but told me not to take it anymore because of the leg cramps. She was kinda concerned the pain lasted so long but I told her that this morning as I was getting ready to go, I thought about it and realized I havent had any cramps in awhile. She was happy about that.

She told me what I already knew. I am on the highest dosages of Glucophage and Actos and my fasting b.s. are still too high in the mornings. They used to be in the upper 200s but I can get them down to 150-170. Not good enough!

So I have a feeling unless a miracle happens and the heavens part and God kicks me in the rear, I am going to be going on insulin.

It is not the end of the world (I dont need any hugs..really) I have resigned myself to this fate for a year now.

I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 30yr old and I weighed over 300 lbs. It has been 7 yrs and because of my gross non-compliance over the years, I have done this to myself.

I seem to be repeating my mother`s legacy.

She told me not to eat ANYTHING after 7pm! She told me to eat all my carbs for breakfast and lunch and none at dinner.

If I lose the 10 lbs (or more) in the 2 months, I will have dodged the bullet (for now). But she will keep raising the bar. And I know that even if I get down to 98 lbs soaking wet, I will still eventually have to go on insulin.

That was my day so far today.

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least you realize the oral hypoglycemics don't work forever. I used to get frustrated trying to tell newly diagnosed folks they had better get their sugar down with diet & exercise as much as possible, because it staves off the inevitable. At least you haven't lost any body parts along the way, my first patient in nursing school had lost both of her legs above the knee.

Here are Hugs for you Heidi! You know, you really can do it! Let's do it together (I lost another pound this week so that is 5 all together) :D .

If I join up with you, and we get meals and check in 3 times a day together and encourage each other we can lose 10 pounds by then. Anyone else willing to join us? We want you around hun and because I worked for a major pharmaceutical company in there Safety & QA department (I was the one who made the reports to go to the FDA & HPB when people had adverse drug reactions) I also helped write package inserts and I am NOT a fan of using medicine unless it is absoluetly needed!

Remember the little train that could? It's a great kids story and I KNOW you can do it!

Heidi,

You may not "need" any hugs - but here's one for you anyway <Big HuG!> I've known a couple of people on insulin and you're right it's not the end of the world but it is another thing to have to take care of - just one more stress in an already stressful world. Alas.. I'm kinda like that myself. I had 3 months to lose weight or go on high blood pressure meds.. guess which one happened heh. I'm still hoping to get off of them but for right now my blood pressure is good and I don't want to try going off the meds till I get that weight off cause I don't want it to sky rocket again. So - as for losing 10 lbs by Oct count me in!... I have to warn you though I'm really bad about staying on a diet.. or excersize plan.. .. which is one reason I hessitated so long to post here :o But I think it does help when friends do things together so I'll give it a shot with you and Tracy :D

-David :lol:

OK I will try a little harder and see If I can get 10 more off my October. :D . Boy if I did that I would only have about 15 more to go after that. Boy it will be nice to finally reach my goal.

Well I am on my way to the water pak to cool off. It is still hotter than Hades(sp) here.

SuzyQ

I cant believe it! You all would do that for me?

My appointment in October 9th. I have to weigh 209 by then. (more would be better but not pushing it).

My physical limitations make it hard to really exercise. I did 2 hrs of weeding on Sunday (it was absolutely BEAUTIFUL outside that day), yesterday I was in so much pain that I was in bed most of yesterday. So you can see that I have to take baby steps.

Tracy you are on... there might be times that I wont be online 3x a day. I am up for anything if I can lose some more weight.

I can be so proud that I lost so much but then you just get stuck in a rut. I know I have to do real exercise to lose the rest but I have tried and even a walk down the street to the park can be exhausting. My dr knows this.

So okay! I had a bowl of cereal this morning. It is small bowl (about 1 cup) and I didnt fill it. I always use 1% milk. The cereal was Kix. I am drinking 1 10oz cup of coffee with half and half with 1 tsp of sugar. (i know I know sugar, but hate art. sweeteners and 1 tsp in a 10oz cup is very small)

I have to run out to grocery store, bank, and get that new tv today with dh. Dont know what is going to be lunch yet.

I have summer squash that I have to use today, so that might be incorporated into dinner.

I am lucky (so far) that I dont have blood pressure problems. My pressure in the office was 99/70. It has always been low. Sometimes they have to use other arm cause they cant hear it..LOL

Alright ( as I sit here eating birthday cake) I'm in. The cake is gone. Thankfully. I ended up with the remains of two cakes because the inlaws decided they wanted to attend a party instead if their grandson's birthday so I had to have one on Saturday ( dh was flying out sun morning) and Sunday. They also had to bring there own cake ( but never take any left overhome) :D

Okay enough of that. I am going to start working out at least everyother day. :lol:

I was a good girl! Everyone wanted chinese food for lunch. Not alot of time to prepare something at home cause we had so much to do.

They all had General Tsos (chels had tofu instead of chicken) and I got a salad next door and ate half an egg roll.

Okay, I'll start RIGHT NOW!! I am starving :o . I will get out my baby carrots and 1 teaspon of dip (Teaspoon not table spoon) and eat those for lunch today

(That is because I had a big breakfast 1 sausage, 1 egg and 2 pieces of toast and water)

I will walk 2 miles today then I will have a salad for dinner (With 4 chicken slices, grilled) I will use a tomato vinigar dressing my mom made up for me last week. :D Right now, I weigh 179 (Which means I weighed 184 2 weeks ago) I am being VERY honest here. Most people guess I weigh less but I know the scale in my bathroom does NOT lie :lol:

This is what I needed anyway Heidi So let's start listing what we WANT to eat for dinner and then after you have your meal post what you really ate. Honesty is the BEST way to do this because you and no longer hiding behind the lie. Diabetes run in my family though I have no symptoms I know being over weight can trigger them!

Yeah David & Melanie and SuzyQ

post-4-1155068024.gif post-4-1155068024.gif post-4-1155068024.gif

Ok I am back from the Water Park my turn to check in.

Breakfast was a serving of Honey Nut cheerios with skim milk

Lunch A kids hamburger and a bite of child size fries RayAnne ate the rest.

Then my stomach got to really growling at the water park. All that swimming. So I had a grilled chicken salad that I dipped in Ranch. You eat a lot less dressing when you dip. :lol: I took the cheese off.

I just ate 3 peanut m&m's for snack.

Now for the tough part we are going to some friends for dinner so I will have to be really careful. :D .

I will check back in when I get home.

Great Job everyone. I will give my wieght on Friday. I know I put on 4 pounds during the last 2 weeks. But it is coming back off.

Happy Dinner

SuzyQ

One cup of cereal is the serving size on the package. This AM I had a total one cup of cereal, I mixed Kashi with Total & Smart Start because that's what was here that wasn't sugar bombs, with fat-free (one Tbsp, I do NOT eat soggy cereal!) & a sliced banana, & black coffee.

Went shopping with future DIL to outlet mall after discovering Miniatures From The Attic is closed on Mondays & Tuesdays! She's a marathon runner recovering from stress fractures in one leg and the mall had outlet stores for Under Armor & Adidas as well as Nike & Reebok, so I 'suaged my disappointment with not buying minis by buying new sportswear! We ate lunch there & I had a vegetarian Greek salad with vinegrette. I was SO good today (tomorrow DH is coming back & we're going out for anniversary dinner).

Y'all are inspiring me!

Alright, I had a bowel of raise bran for breakfast and an apple.

I got my water out. I did my crunches & pushups before I ate and I'll do more at lunch time. I won't do the regular set tonight because I go to the gym for my body combat class.

Honesty is the best policy!

I already put what I had for breakfast and lunch. We had to go out yesterday after we picked up Chels and had to some stuff for the car. I got a whine fest from the family so we went to the 99 House.

I had a Diet Pepsi (my only one of the whole day :D ), and I ordered fish and chips and a side salad with italian dressing on the side. I used half of those dixie cup salad thingys and ate the whole salad. When the fish came I just didnt feel hungry. I didnt eat the fries or the cole slaw. There were 2 pieces of fish and I ate 1 and 1/2. No dessert. (we never order dessert).

That was it for the whole day.

I woke up late (i am enjoying this no school thing too much! LOL)

I have coffee brewing and have no idea what is going to be breakfast. I need to go grocery shopping today so that must tell you that there are slim pickins. Maybe I will just have some toast with Raspberry Jalapeno jelly. I would have more but as I just said..slim pickins..LOL

Pre- coffee post! I have no idea what I will make for dinner. I know that I have 6 lbs of peaches in the fridge and I have to make preserves with it today. When I get my facilties together I will have a better idea.

I started out yesterday with good intentions - Had a hole in one for breakfast - super simple breakfast though it is fried ... which wouldn't be quite as bad if I wasn't out of olive oil.. after that the meals got very convoluted.. I guess I need to think ahead and get things in the house other than carbs. Told you all I'm not very good at this but looks like the rest of you are doing great! So I guess I'd better get in gear and try a bit harder.

-David

David, I look at it this way. If you try you best at least 2/3 of the day, if you kinda blow it in the 1/3 it all works it self out.

None of us should be totally denying ourselves basic nourshiments.

Have to have carbs, protein, fruits and veggies, plenty of fluids, and if a trans fat sneaks in there it is okay. I didnt eat anything after 7pm!

That was one of my goals! So I am proud that I did that. Plus I didnt eat the fries!

Okay this is what i need...I said that come Sept I am getting back into walking, treadmill, watching my diet. I was on a roll last year and was being a good girl. I got into a routine then BAM, broke my ankle. Gained 10 lbs. when I should have been losing 25 never got back into the routine after that.:D I think posting what you eat and getting encouraged here is a good idea.)

Right now I think I weigh about 165, 5'3" tall or short however you look at it. TOO fat for my height.

So far today: 2 cups coffee with skim milk, rice cake w/peanut butter, 1 pretzel, I'm at work SITTING behind a desk! not good.

Good Morning Everyone!!! :D :lol: :o

It is so nice to see everyone one here. It is really encouraging to see everyone working together.

I am having a late breakfast like Heidi I slept in this morning. I just finished eating my Honey Nut Cheerios. I am still trying to get my Cholesterol down. I was supposed to go get it checked in July but I am waiting to get more weight off. I am sure it has gone down some.

Any how last night I did pretty good at the friends house.

I had 2 thin slices of Roast Beef, about a tablespoon of some kind of dark rice about 2 tablespoons of mashed potaotes, and a biscut with a bit of butter. It was a pretty carb filled meal but I made the best of it. Oh then they had birthday cake. I had a very small slice.

When I got home I had a small glass of lowfat buttermilk.( I know you think ewww)

and 1 1/2 clementines.

Have a great day all. I will check back in later.

SuzyQ

small glass of lowfat buttermilk.( I know you think ewww)

Not if you had a little fresh fat-free cornbread to crumble up in it! Far better with a salad than with clementines, though.

Afternoon Checkin

Lunch

Hormel Bean soup 190 calories 3 peanut M&M's

Afternoon snack. small glass buttermilk and 3 M&M's

Been a bit of an emotional day. I have been looking through our daughters adoption records. We give her tidbits of information each year as she gets older and more mature. Usually around her birthday. She loves this.

But it brings up those raw emotions from that scary time of our life. I did notice some things that I missed before about her heritage. She will think this information is really cool.

Will check back in this evening.

SuzyQ

I was running around so much today that lunch was kinda non-existent. I ended up getting a thing of OJ and a small fry at Mcdonalds.

Dinner tonite is grinders. Oh yeah! Grinders: noun; hoagies, subs, po-boys Derived from the original maker here in my neck of the woods who made these sandwiches for the shipbuilders.

We have bologna, ham, turkey, amer. cheese, and muenster cheese. Also mushrooms, spinach, tomatos, lettuce, onions, eggplant. i will be having a ummmmm. Turkey, mushroom, spinach, tomato, onion grinder with muenster cheese and dijon mustard. NO CHIPS! I am also going to make a side salad with italian vinegratte (sp??) dressing.

Well.. I did better today - at least I think I did. I was getting ready to fix breakfast when sis and bro asked if we wanted to go out for breakfast cause it's his birthday - of course I said yes. HUGE breakfast omlet which I'm ashamed to say I ate all of.. though it was delicious. The bad part is I really over ate - the good part at least it was something healthy and I haven't wanted another thing to eat all day and probably won't all evening. It's way too hot to cook or think about anything other than a nice cool glass of water.. though I wish I'd made iced tea instead. Though I realize that I'm also a stress eater - today there wasn't as much stress as usual though it dawned on me when mom called and I immediately started looking for something to munch on that it might not be a bad idea to just buy some gum and chew a piece of that when I get off the phone from her. Though I did resist that urge to munch today. I also decided I need to think about meals ahead of time.. and bought some frozen chicken breast pieces so I won't be so tempted to revert to TV dinners and canned food when I do get hungry. It's not much but it's a start.

-David

Hello Again. Evening Check-in.

Well I made it through another day just fine. We went out for dinner. I had

a grilled chicken breast and rice (I saved half for tomorrow) and a ceasar salad I dipped in the dressing. Do you know if you dip, half of the dressing is still left in the container?

I am about to find a light snack not sure what yet.

We just picked up RayAnne from her friends this evening and we got to share what we found out about her heritage. (earlier afternoon post) As I figured she was totally thrilled. She had to tell her friend right away.

Have a good night.

SuzyQ

Well, I skipped dinner (I know very bad to skip meals) I did have a shake (Muscle Milk after my workout) and I felt full anyway so I did not eat .

I have not had breakfast yet but I am craving oatmeal so think I'll have a bowl of that.