*&^%# Electricity

hydroped

Well I think the topic says it all.. blah! Electrical! .. Ok I know I'm doing something majorly wrong here.. and it's probably extremely simple but I can't figure this stuff out. I have my tape wire in. I have my transformer attached - there is power going through the tape wire... so why don't my lights light? What am I missing?.. do I need to be using a fuse? I have a fireplace light that will not light - bad bulb?.. maybe so I tried another.. and another.. still no light. Ok so then I hooked the light directly to the transformer.. no light.

I did get sparks though. :)

-David

Sorry, David, that you're having a hard time with the electrical. I know diddley squat about electrical wiring (so far). Just wanted you to have a big hug while you're waiting for someone who knows about electricity to get back to you.

Susanne

This may seem like a silly question, but did you put the brad nails into the tape wire where they cross? That's what provides the connection.

Don't worry, David, we'll get it figured out!! :)

I dont know squat about lighting but after being sick and reading dh lighting cover to cover I thought this might help.

I dont know if you can do this but if you save this and read it on microsoft picture (or adobe) you can read it by using the magnifier. I couldnt get it clearer. Let me know and if not, I will delete it from post.

I double checked and when I clicked on it, the magnifier came up on my cursor so you can read it. Go heidi! Go heidi!

Hope it helps.

David: Do you happen to have one of the testers? If not, invest in one. that way instead of using your lights, the tester lets you know where the connection goes wrong. Sounds like it may have been your light.

Can you posts pics so maybe we have a little more to go on?

I'm so sorry you're having trouble, another thought, check and make sure tape wire is flat that the brass brads connect blue to blue and pink to pink.

That's all I can offer right now, if I think of anything else, I'll repost.

Peggi

Hi everyone,

Susanne thanks for the hug :) I needed that :p

Teresa - the house is only going to have 2 lights - so there's only one strip of tape - no crossing or piecing of tape wire , just the one single strip to get the power from the transformer to the light

Heidi - thanks for the image - for some reason my machine tends to blow up images so it's really easy for me to read - I may have to reduce it to print it out but that should be easy :D I like the cieling clip that talks about... sounds like a good way to go and I may try to find a couple of those next I'm at the miniature shop.

-David

Hi Peggy,

Yes I have a tester. It says there is power going through the tape wire - the light comes on in the tester but the fireplace coals don't light. I've been reading the page that Heidi posted and I'm thinking maybe I need a fuse bar thing? But if so what's the use of tape wire and junction splices? I can't figure out how I'd use them together since one is a plastic bar (the fuse and light plug bar) and the other hooks directly up to the tapewire (the junction splice). I've got the junction splice attched to the tape wire - the power is running through the tape wire but when I attach the light nothing happens. Maybe the light and the transformer are incompatable amps??? I figured on soldering the wire directly to the tape wire to make a more permanant connection that buying plugs and plugging them in.

I don't know - it's just very confusing.

-David

David

We really need more info to help

lights come in two voltages

what is the voltage of your transformer? 12V?

what is he voltage of you light? 12? 1.5?

it worries me you say you connect it straight on the transformer and nothing happens most likely a low voltage transformer with a high voltage light

or something’s broken.

cheers Glen

If the tester's working you have power, you have wired your house correctly. So if the fireplace won't light, the problem is with that piece. It could be a bad wire, socket, those kinds of things.

Hi Glen and Doogster,

Thanks Glen for the info on what lights come in - didn't know about that. The transformer is a Cir-kit 12v 5 w output. The light is a Town Square fireplace light and the package says it has a 12v bulb "Designed to be used with all 12 v systems". So if I'm thinking correctly - theoretically I should be able to hook that light up directly to the transformer.. and it should light right?

Also I just realized I have quite a few lights I've picked up second hand and have no idea if they're 12v or 1.5.. is there a way to test them before blowing the light out or will I pretty much need to go through the lighting catalogs to find the light I have and see what it is? As you can see I'm pretty clueless about electrical.

Thanks guys,

-David

Do I feel your pain! My house is completely scratch-built and the tape wire gave me problems from the start. First, did you use your circuit tester on the plug eyelets themselves? Sometimes the eyelets don't have a good contact to the wiretape. I have had bad fixtures too. The worst part is the tape failed after about two years. ( I have about 15 lights, 5 fireplaces with lights and 5 or 6 wall outlets for additional lighting) All of my tapewiring was on the inside of the walls (the walls are framed like a real house) so there was no way of fixing it. My best guess was that the tape suffered from heat damage caused by circuit load. I switched to a duplex wire. (its a real wire.) The only catch is you need a place to hide the wire and the connections have to be soldered. That was two years ago and I haven't had a single problem with any of the connections.

I'm saving all of these posts. I think Ray knows how to do the wiring ... he's done wiring in our real house. But, just in case he runs into problems, this seems like a good thread for troubleshooting.

David, anything working yet? I do know that lighting a real fire in the dh fireplace is a no no.

Susanne

Hi Pdlnpeabody,

Nice to meet you. I've been hearing a lot lately about the benefits of hard wire vs tape wire - the only thing is I already bought quite a bit of tape wire - I did however find a site where one person solders their connections directly to the tape wire by peeling back the cover where the connection is to be made and they claim it really works well. So.. I figured rather than fiddle with lots of connectors (which sounds easy but I've heard sometimes come loose) I'd go with soldering. I was thinking I'd use the tape wire on the smaller houses and then maybe move up to hardwire

Also I finally got the lights to work and I'm gonna put that in a new post just to everyone - I'm such a dunce.

-David

Moron alert! - Ok it's official - David is a dunce. And I absolutely appologize to everyone for posting my frustration here. I got to thinking about what Glen and Doogster said. Ok.. this should be very simple - I now know the light and the transformer match - ... and if it was a problem with the individual light.. then the next one I try should work.. I shouldn't have gotten 3 defective sets of lights... hmm.. Think David!.. about the time it looks like there's a fire in my house from the smoke coming out of the grinding gears in my brain.. I finally think "I wonder if the bulb is screwed in all the way" :) gee - it only took 3 days to come up with that (the day before I posted, yesterday and today) .. yep the bulb was in but not all the way - bingo the light works. <sigh>

On the one hand I feel like celebrating - It Works! (think of the Frankenstien scene "It's Alive!").. on the other hand I feel incredibly sheepish for being such a dunderhead. Doh!

So now it's off to the next electrical project... making a wall sconce from a bulb and bolo tie end. ... wish me luck. :p

-David

I finally think "I wonder if the bulb is screwed in all the way"  :)  gee - it only took 3 days to come up with that (the day before I posted, yesterday and today) .. yep the bulb was in but not all the way - bingo the light works.  <sigh>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've gotta be kidding. I wonder if I have wasted hundreds of dollars on lighting stuff due to the same problem. I literally threw away a bunch of fixtures and tape and even a transformer, I think, because I just couldn't get the freakin' thing to work. How can they sell something like that and not have it assembled correctly? Did you have to open up the coals somehow to check the bulb inside?

I'm saving all of these posts.  I think Ray knows how to do the wiring ... he's done wiring in our real house.  But, just in case he runs into problems, this seems like a good thread for troubleshooting.

David, anything working yet?  I do know that lighting a real fire in the dh fireplace is a no no.

Susanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhhh... my husband is a professional electrician and won't touch dollhouse wiring with a ten-foot pole!!!! (He says he's not licensed for residential work.)

Regarding lighting a real fire...If you used real bricks for your chimney and it draws properly, I think the little people could manage quite well! :)

You've gotta be kidding.  I wonder if I have wasted hundreds of dollars on lighting stuff due to the same problem.  I literally threw away a bunch of fixtures and tape and even a transformer, I think, because I just couldn't get the freakin' thing to work.  How can they sell something like that and not have it assembled correctly?  Did you have to open up the coals somehow to check the bulb inside?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Christine,

Well now I don't feel quite so bad -and yep the coals are built sort of like a box so I just pulled the bottom out and gave the bulb a twist.. and sure enough it was loose! I just tightened it up and put it back together. Fortunately it's made to come apart to be able to replace the bulbs.

-David

Sorry David. One more incidence like that and you'll be out of the League of Scale House Building Blokes

I made this little tool for small bulbs. Cotton stops it splitting

its soft balsa wood.

Cheers

Glen LOSBB

David -

I'm so glad that you posted with your electrical problem. That's how we all learn. I know I've learned something. I'd have guessed that the light bulbs would already be properly screwed in when I bought a fixture. Now I know better.

Susanne

Moron alert! I finally think "I wonder if the bulb is screwed in all the way"  :)  gee - it only took 3 days to come up with that (the day before I posted, yesterday and today) .. yep the bulb was in but not all the way - bingo the light works. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I had a similar issue and finally ended up ripping out all the tape and stuffed the transformer in the garbage disposal. (Hubby pulled it out before I hit the 'demolish' button.) I would never have thought the screw in the bulbs. Greeeeat.

PS. How many miniaturists does it take to screw in a lightbulb? If one of them is me...at least two.

David I'm so glad you got everything working. And to let you know, periodically you may have to check the bulb, if the house is moved etc. they do work loose. I found this out from rewiring a Cambridge. It was given to me with furniture and lights but half was not working, but unfortunately all was not the bulbs, the whole thing had to be rewired. So even though I've only built one house, I've actually wired two.

I'm also glad it was something simple, before reading your post about it working, I was searching my brain (and its old and foggy acting at its best).

Glen you are so ingenuous, I bought a light replacer to use on my bulbs. I would never had thought of making one.

Peggi

Glen they look like this. Has a hole in both ends for different size bulbs. One end has rubber attached the other end is metal of some sort.

post-70-1141179385_thumb.jpg