*&^%# Electricity

hydroped

Ok, I had a similar issue and finally ended up ripping out all the tape and stuffed the transformer in the garbage disposal. 

I like it!! I liiiiiiiiiiiike it!! Much more creative than using a hammer on it. :rolleyes:

David, I'm glad you got the light figured out. I wouldn't have thought to check the bulb either.

Deb

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Next time I'll do more than just look at the bulb the first three times I take the thing appart - I'll actually check to see that it's screwed in all the way lol

Glen - great home made bulb changer - I like it! I bet it works as good or better than the store bought one and for less too. But as for LSHBOBB <?>.. I'll never remember all those letters lol - I think I'll stick with something I can spell like MAMA, DOILIES, MISSES, or MACHO.. but SHE-MALES is right Outa there! Nope that's where I draw the line LOLOL

-David

Actually, I've lit real fires in all five of my dh fireplaces. The fireplaces and chimneys are all brick and mortar so there wasn't any problems. However, none of the fireplaces are visible from the open back of the house so for safety reasons I installed the flickering lights. To improve the effect I mixed a little two part epoxy and laid two small sticks in the edge of the mix and them sculpted the still workable mix to look like fire. This is done on plastic wrap to prevent the stuff from sticking to the table. When the epoxy dries just ad some transparent paint and attach the "fire" to a miniature fire grate. The flickering lights should fit directly behind the dried epoxy.

Actually, I've lit real fires in all five of my dh fireplaces.  The fireplaces and chimneys are all brick and mortar so there wasn't any problems. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto what Glen said ... I'd love to see pictures of a "real" fire in a dollhouse. You'd have to really keep the flames under control. Pictures ... please ... please :rolleyes:

Susanne

David -

Since I'm hoping to do my first wiring project soon, how have you found the process? All I've got to work with is the tape wire kit and a brad placement tool. Did you find that you needed any special equipment? Ray has done electrical in our home before, but not miniature wiring. I don't think my dad is as able to help with this kind of work anymore ... he's pushing 80.

Thanks.

Susanne

Susanne: Did your wiring kit come with a tester and a little drill bit? If not I would highly recommend one. The tester really help in running down any problems you may have and the drill bit helps puts the holes where the plug goes in for lamps. Other than that a steady hand to keep the tape straight is all I can think of unless you want to solder where the tape joins. then a soldering iron and solder.

Peggi

Glad everything worked out David. How didmthe new light fixture work out? Any pictures yet?

When I doiny wiring I have found a pair of long tweezers come in handy for holding the tiny nails until they get hammered in. After I'm sure the connections are good I either solder the brads or use a smallpiece of black electrical tape over them to keep everything tight. I also remove the plastic coating from the copper strip before I lay the top strip down. But only on the matching color side. Pink on pink and blue on blue. If you completely remove all of it you will short it all out. Unfortunally I speak from experience, on this one.

terri

Hi Susanne & Terri,

The wiring was really easy once I figured out how to use a junction splice - with my first project though there are no crossing wires, no turns to make etc. It's just one piece of tape wire on the bottom - a junction splice to hook up the transformer to on one end - and on the other is where my 2 lights will be soldered on. That's it - one piece of tape wire about 10" in lenght. I was afraid to try anything too complicated first time out of the box - just wanted a fireplace and one wall sconce. The fireplace works yay!! .. The wall sconce however is going to have to wait till I can either find what I did with the candle light bulb I bought.. or till I get to the mini shop to buy another one :blink: I hate when I misplace things.. you'd I'd stop doing that wouldn't ya ;)

Oh and Susanne the tester is very important - I love mine after trying it the first time - it's great to know and be able to see something light up even if it's just the tester! <_< Without that I probably would have thought it was the transformer that was no good and tossed it - and those things aren't that cheap.

I'd also like to add a big Thank You to everyone who posted with ideas and tips - I don't think I could have gotten this lit without all of your ideas and support! Thank you!!

-David