Tuscuany style

nuttiwebgal

hmmmm well when speaking to my doctors nurse today I learned her fav color is Purple. and her favorite style is Tuscan....HELP!

I have the Lily I am building for her....suggestions on how to make it Tuscany??

would that be like a villa or something?

ohh my I could use some suggestions.

nutti :o

Oh boy, that's a tough one. Could you bash the roof into a more square shape instead of the mansard and then add some architectural embellishments to the windows and doors? Bashing the roof into a square is possible since the top of the roof is flat and the roof supports are on the inside of the walls....use sheets of plywood instead of the curved pieces on the sides to make a "box" and get creative with the interior support posts. There's enough support for the roof that you wouldn't neccessarily have to have the walls attached to the support posts on the inside.

Now that I think about it, that might be easier than it sounds at first but it might end up looking more like a square wedding cake than tuscany architecture. (oh wait......square wedding cakes do kinda define tuscany architecture! :o ) You'd really have to add a lot of embellishments to make it look "together". Maybe leave off the porch railing and use square pillars instead? Or a series of arched doorways to enclose the porch?

Getting the purple in there would be tough too, but maybe with a "vineyard" type of decor you would work in some aubergine and dark green accents/trim with an aged-ivory/beige primary color.

You've got quite a challenge there Nutti!

Deb

I think brown, red and orange are typical Tuscan colours. But purple??? And black iron furniture and terra-cotta floors are very popular in Tuscan homes. My uncle is going to buy a house in the Tuscany but I haven't seen it yet...

Well, the Lily is an Italianate type of Victorian, so you already have that going for you. However, I think the rustic Tuscan style isn't compatible with this particular house. Based on those photos, it's very square and simple. If I were her, I'd rather have the Lily as it is designed, painted a lovely shade of lavender, than try to force it to be something else. She doesn't know you're making a house for her, does she? Isn't it a surprise?

What you could do is straighten out the roof, rather than curving it, and put an orange tile roof on it. That would make it look even more Italian, though not exactly Tuscan.

She doesn't know you're making a house for her, does she? Isn't it a surprise?

yes it is a suprise. well Im not much of a basher so Im going to give the house some of features of that style of house like a stucco exterior(sorry Linda)

and Im going to buy some of those roof tiles from Hobby Lobby and see if I can get them to look right on the Mansard roof.

I cant think that it will.... but Ill try. as for the purple....well the house will be a light Beige....with some dark purple accents.

as for the inside....in the back the bathroom and kitchen are small so I decided to try some paint effects like they use....terra cotta in the kithen and the purple in the bathroom. I already have some wallpaper for the bedroom....how convenient for me that the flowers in it are purplish! I also have some of those slate tiles I thought I would use in the kitchen and bathroom as well.

since the living and dinning room are all one room I havent decided much for them and also the foyer which I have to do before I do much else.

got my stain for the floor last night so now I have to take it apart.....

oh and by the way the house is very agreeable to all of these ideas...its only criteria is that it be elegant when it is finished.

now another question.....should I furnish with some simple kit furniture or just leave it empty and give her a HBS catalog to help her get started?

nutti :o

Hi Nutti

Long time no talk too.

when you say Tuscan I think of vinyards, good wine and tables laden with good food, A walk in the gardens with tall columns of marble, sculped figures, fountains,wistera flowers every where hanging down, roses, mosaic tile floors.

Oh the list gose on and on.

I think I need a trip. :o

Donna

Think grapes, eggplant. Tuscany is a beautiful place full of sunlight and the richer, deeper colors of red, blues and golds. Walls of muted yellows, golds, roofs tiles ranging from old terracotta to pale salmon. Everything faded by a very hot sun. Inside is shaded, cool with old, muted colors and a shade dusty.Hope that helps. :o

should I furnish with some simple kit furniture or just leave it empty and give her a HBS catalog to help her get started

Nutti, I'd leave it empty and give her the catalog perhaps with some pictures circled of your ideas and favorites.

Just because the house is going to be "Tuscan" style doesn't mean the house can't be what it is. There are plenty of people living in Victorian houses which are completely contemporary on the inside and people living in log houses which are decorated in something completely outside the scope of log living!

When I think of Tuscan style I think of warm earth colors, cozy fabrics, wine and good food . . . oh and lavender (which happens to be purple)! As you can see by the replies you've gotten, style, whether it's Tuscan or some other, is completely open to interpretation by the "designer"! :o

Stucco and brick also remind me of Tuscan style, as do warm woods.

I think you have a really good plan, Nutti. It's going to be beautiful, with just the right flavor. I would suggest letting her furnish it herself. That is one of the most fun parts of having minis... picking out the accessories.

I love tuscan style.

One of favorite movies is "Under the Tuscan Sun" with Diane Lane

I found a couple websites to give you inspiration.

Think rustic, think gorgeous italian man feeding you olives and grapes on a blanket in small italian village hillside...

http://www.accentsofsalado.com/index_shop.html

http://www.diynet.com/diy/lr_design/articl...2270094,00.html

and Im going to buy some of those roof tiles from Hobby Lobby and see if I can get them to look right on the Mansard roof.

What about some of that sheet copper for some accents?

Deb

ok Im printing it now! the foyer is one of those areas that has to be decorated before it goes together and I probably need to do the front door as well.

I usually glue my doors in...I had thought I would have these open but as the Foyer is unuseable space perhaps not. see this is where I start having problems!

Decorating is for the birds!

nutti :blink:

Nutti IMHO even though the foyer is small and I'm still figuring out how to hang my curtains in there, it will be easier to have the doors open. I love my foyer, I've place a coat rack and a little table in there with the mail laying on it with a welcome mat on the porch leading into the foyer.

Also if you are going to put siding on leave the doors out until you put the siding on, cause it is much easier to cut the hole out and place the trim over it than to fit the siding snug against the trim. Which I had to do with the windows cause I had put them in first. (Typical beginners mistake that I know you won't do)

Please post pixs would love to watch your progress on this house. You always do such great work--Sorry I can't help with the tuscany theme though.

Peggi

If you can't take the curve out of the roof (as in it's already installed) you can curve the polystyrene roof tile sheets in hot water. You could use a purple-brown wash over the tiles & dark wood trim. Why not a pergola laden with ripe grapevines?

Kenneth Branaugh's version of Much Ado About Nothing was set in Tuscany, wasn't it?

Hi Nutti

Long time no talk too.

when you say Tuscan I think of vinyards, good wine and tables laden with good food, A walk in the gardens with tall columns of marble, sculped figures, fountains,wistera flowers every where hanging down, roses, mosaic tile floors.

Oh the list gose on and on.

I think I need a trip.  ;) 

Donna

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Donna, WOW I think I will join you on that trip ;)