DIY Canning Jars

stillworkin

Thank you Susan! You are very kind to share this technique with all. :lol:

It looks so easy - and what excellent results! Now I have to find those erasers here ... :no: .

BTW, can you PM Tracy (or another moderator) and see about having your wonderful tutorial posted under "Tutorials"?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy! I just made 7 jars of peaches, tomatoes and string beans :p It is going to kill me to wait til tomorrow night, and the worst part is I will be out tomorrow night and I may more than likely have to wait til Sunday morning :birthday: I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve! LOL

Oh boy! I just made 7 jars of peaches, tomatoes and string beans :birthday: It is going to kill me to wait til tomorrow night, and the worst part is I will be out tomorrow night and I may more than likely have to wait til Sunday morning :happydance: I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve! LOL

You go girl!

:p

Susanne, when you make the mayo, ketchup type bottles, you don't use an eraser. It's an entirely different method for an entirely different type of bottle. For example, if you want to make a ketchup bottle, take some red Sculpey, make it into the shape of a ketchup bottle using the picture you printed out as a guide, then drop that little red bottle into the bowl of water and go on from there. The two coats of nail polish really makes those little bottles look like they are glass with stuff inside, instead of just a bottle made out of Sculpey.

Thank you so much. I love my dollhouse miniatures, but I'm not an incredibly crafty type of person. My skills for making my own miniatures are very very limited. Mostly, I'm a collector - I guess that's a good thing for all the wonderful miniature artisans out there. But once in a while, a "how-to" strikes my interest and I like to try my hand at making something. I've never worked with Sculpey before. I really appreciate you explaining it for me.

Hugs

-Susanne

I filled up my first canning jars tonight. Won't be able to unmold them for 22 1/2 hours, but I'm hoping they turn out okay. I found the casting resin at our local Michael's - lucked out as it was the last box of it on the shelf. This stuff definitely goes a long ways - I mixed 1/2 tablespoon from each bottle and I had more than I needed for the 10 erasers I had prepared.

I made carrots & green beans tonight. A few of them might not turn out, we'll have to see - I bumped the ceramic tile the filled erasers were sitting on (trying to move them out of the way so no one else would bump them) and I knocked 4 of them over :dunce: . I righted them, but some of the resin dribbled out.

I still need to get a circle paper punch. Thought we had one but I can't find it anywhere. And clear nail polish.

If anyone is still looking for erasers, my husband found the packs of 40 in the back to school supplies at Walmart for under $1 this week.

Anyhow, just wanted to stop in and say Thank You again for the wonderful tutorial!

Lisa

Here are my first attempts at my jars :( Overall I am happy. I was wondering if you could give me advice Susan. Some jars came out cloudy, and they also took on the color of the eraser I used. Any thoughts? I did keep them in the eraser longer than 24 hrs. I dont know if thats why.

post-3167-1219699328_thumb.jpg

post-3167-1219699341_thumb.jpg

post-3167-1219699352_thumb.jpg

post-3167-1219699372_thumb.jpg

Michelle, The only time I had a problem with the jars taking on the color of the eraser was with my very first batch. I didn't clean those erasers out first. I think the eraser dust mixes with the epoxy and causes it to take on the color. With each batch I made, one or two would turn out slightly cloudy. I'm assuming they were probably the last one or two I made in the batch and setting time had something to do with it. I don't know why, but the finger nail polish pretty much removed all of the cloudiness from those jars. Your jars look great! If you hadn't mentioned the problems with them, I don't think I would have noticed it.

I wish I could see your pics, Michelle! Perhaps tomorrow. (Can't view any pics, symbols, emoticons, etc.) The last time my computer acted up like this it fixed itself!

I found the erasers today in a surplus store - 40 for 99 cents. I have to take a look in my basement cupboards - I'm pretty sure I have some "Realistic Water" or somesuch product that (I hope) will work.

Susan has really started something here!

Susan, do you think baby oil would work as a release agent in the erasers, or should it be vegetable oil?

Hmmm, I'm thinking, I have an unlimited supply of oxygen tubing in different diameters. I wonder if I make my veggies and fruits and then fill the tubing cut down into jar size with it and then put the epoxy in it if I'll get similar results. I've been trying to find ways to use up old tubing. I'll have to try it out.

Susan, do you think baby oil would work as a release agent in the erasers, or should it be vegetable oil?

Rosalind, from the pictures it looked like you just cut the eraser away from the jar.

Susan does say (in her tutorial) to give the inside of the eraser a light coating of vegetable oil after cleaning out the "eraser dust". I was just wondering if I could substitite baby oil.

• 6 months later...