Lighthouse

I am in progress on this house. I have no idea what to do on the inside. I want it to be very manly and functional. No shops bedrrom, just natical stuff and supplies. If amy one has built this let me know as I find the instructions complicated, and soon to start on the beacon section.

Melissa

• 2 weeks later...

thought I would share a pic of the lighthouse progress.

post-27-1141079246_thumb.jpg

The floors are individual layed planks and treated with my home made aging stuff. I am puting planks on the observation deck, but that is taking longer as they are following the octogon shape of the house instead if straight across it. The tower has been assembeled but need a little more to instal the roof, The entry way hall attached to the side aslo needs it.s roof glued in, but is easy to work on filling it with the roof off for now.

Melissa

Very good job, I love the floors.

Wasn't the purpose of lighthouses to keep boats/ships from rocks but also to provide rescue when they did wreck? If so things for the interior, would be ropes and anchors, first aid kits, cot, compass, coffee pot and hot plate and rain slicks. A row boat pulled up next to it. Oh yeah, blankets, tool boxes, canned food, laterns, oars, and probably a girlie poster. LOL

How's that sound?

Peggi

Thanks for the list of tiems. So far I have radio type stuff some nautical supplies, compas and such, a large fishing net and want to make lobster traps as well. I think it needs a shelf for some of the items you mention a coffee pot, canned food ect.

Thanks for the tips of what to put in it.

Melissa

Melissa, WOW I didnt realize how bit the light houses are. I love it so far and I cant wait to see it all done and furnished. Also another idea that comes to mind is yellow rain coat I seen a DIY somewhere on makeing one out of a cleaning rubber glove.

• 2 weeks later...

Except for just a few finishing touches the light house in almost done. Only have the roofing of the little entryway, and a bit of trim.

I have personally adopted the light house to become an "ongoing" project to build things for over time. While the "finished" pictures you will see very soon will have it mostly empty my "plans" for it are as follows.

First floor - Storage and supplies. Also items that are more likely to be needed or used outside. Basically a sort of "ware house" room.

Second floor - Sort of a little "studio" type place for the light house keeper to use when he is stationed there on extended "duty". Cot, cookstove, groceries, personal items, chairs and small table, etc.

Third floor - Operations. From the top floor here the lamp controls, maps, radio equipment, binoculars etc. as well as access to the upper gallery where the real work of the light house takes place.

Melissa did a great job on the octagonal layout of the decking boards on the gallery deck. She also chose the trim colors (from a list I allowed her to pick from - LOL) and did almost all of the painting.

My comments on the building of this kit.

IT TAKES TWO.

Many of the things needed to be done to assemble this kit cannot be easily done without help from another person. However for MOST (not all) things with the help of another person it goes together rather easily.

The kit relies a LOT more than normal on the use of masking tape and rubber bands (large ones and medium ones) to hold togther odd shapes while glue dries. In addition to being octagonal, it is tapered to be more narrow at the top, so a lot of the angles are odd. IF you have one of these make sure you have lots of those two helping items of tape and rubber bands. Luckily they're cheap or free.

A good thing about the kit is that some of the oddly shaped parts are "pre made" for you, like the stairs, upper railing segments and ladder, and the siding is milled into the walls so you don't have to cut weird angles. Whenever I have to do that I ALWAYS manage to mess up on at least a couple of the cuts. Usually I get an angle backwards or some such silly thing.

The kit comes with the lamp and TWO bulbs. One of them blinks after it warms up and the other just lights so you could use the kit for a dim lamp or bright night light. The wiring is already done in one piece so you only have to plug the socket into a pre made hole in the lamp housing and then they provide enough wire and special molding to cover the wiring going down the back edge of the light house so it doesn't show. There is an inline on/off switch and you're left with an approximately five foot cord to plug it in. I didn't bother to electrify the light house in any other way as I felt it may detract from the MAIN light which is after all the focal reason for the light house in the first place.

I had quite a bit of difficulty assembling the gallery railing. Both the lamp housing, and gallery railing really need to be assembled PRIOR to installation on the light house. I think the main reason for my difficulty with the railing was that we fully painted the railing AND the post parts prior to assembly and because of the octagon shape about every third "section" I tried to add caused at least ONE section to break loose. Had we not painted the ENDS of the railing sections or the SIDES of the posts, I feel we would have gotten a much better glue bond and could THEN have touched up any unpainted parts showing before installing the assembly. As it was, we kept trying different glues and methods of clamping until I found one that worked. LOL!

I used an 80 grit emory cloth for the roofing material. Looks good and goes well with out chosen color scheme. And I think that later we'll add a stone work foundation treatment to the bottom edge. Probably "magic stone" or such.

And Melissa will probably have pictures up of the finished light house soon. As time goes by I will be building work tables and benches and the furnishings for the inside. At some point we may even add a base with a dock and small dinghy tied to it near by. Like I said, it's going to be an "ongoing" hobby project of mine but for now we're calling it a completed building.

Darrell

More progress on the lighthouse pics.

Now that the base is finished it is time to intall the light.

post-27-1142111637_thumb.jpg

The tower housing the ight has been istalled

post-27-1142111711_thumb.jpg

The railing that was giving Darrell such a fit is finished.

post-27-1142111778_thumb.jpg

The house is almost finished and hope to have final phots within the next 2 days.

Melissa

At one time the Coleman stores used to carry mini Coleman lantern keychain fobs with a battery operated light, I think they come in red & green. You might want to install a screw hook in the lower floor ceilings and use the lanterns for other lighting.

Holly, We have one of those we plan to put inside it, along with a few other items.

The lighthouse is finished and sitting in it's new home. This is going to be Darrell project. He will decorate the inside. I may make a few things, but mostly it will be his doing.

post-27-1142277103_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I always thought the fun part to the lighthouse would be the opportunity to weather the living crud out of it. Outside and inside. Start with it pristine, clearcoat (always clearcoat in case you mess up the weathering), a series of washes. Streaking with the detail airbrush, grime and grunge well set in. Just like it should be.

• 9 months later...
I had quite a bit of difficulty assembling the gallery railing.

I built this monster about 5 years ago and had so much trouble with the railing that I left it off. I keep thinking that someday I'll install it. I still have all the pieces, but I've never gotten around to it.

Right now, mine sits near the television and stores DVDs and tapes. I had plans to decorate the inside, but it has turned into a storage piece. I got a turntable for it because it's so heavy to move around. Someday my bottom floor will be the rustic kitchen/living room area, second floor will be the bedroom, and the top floor will be the office where all the nautical stuff is located. I love lighthouses and this was the only house that I bought immediately and never thought of the price.

A local dollhouse shop has this house and the connecting lighthouse keeper cottage attached. I thought about doing that but figured it would really take up the room and decided I liked it better sans the cottage.

that is really super nice work!!

i'd think that a lighthouse keeper would have maps, and books to read, and a cat or dog (or dozen) to keep her company.

• 1 month later...

the lighthouse is next on my list. the dd won't let me start until i finish electrifying her dollhouse though! i'm going to build it for my mother--hopefully by xmas. how long did it take you to assemble?

also, i've researched this lh so for hours online. below is a link to some neat nautical things. i love the fish cleaning table!! thanks for blogging all of this! i'm originally from the beach and mom is an avid angler (another story,another time-lol)

http://www.spminiatures.com/fishing.htm

Edited by fleabags3

• 1 year later...

does anyone know what the RGT recommended colors are for this 1:12 lighthouse? i actually was able to buy this LH on a big sale assembled and painted, but want to change the colors and need to match the exact shade of white. it was a model and is done exactly like the RGT website shows.

the RGT website only gives the green and red paint numbers...none for "white." i emailed them and they said white is white and it's Benjamin Moore paint. think that means it's a base white...? ?

i''m going to go over all of the white, i just like the this shade of white and want to keep it. i think i'm changing the trim, windows, and roof to a shade of blue. i don't know what i'll do the railings in.(?) it will be a gift for my mother and her entire house and carpet are done in BLUES. (not my first choice, but it's not for me)

thank you!!!

current projects:

victoria's farmhouse... all electrified. working on top level interior...

lg lighthouse

lilliput apple blossom-haven't started interior, but spending lots on fun stuff for it. lol

waiting in the wings:

2 buttercups in box :cloud9: (daughters want to make)

update. i've started demolition on the perfectly-put- together (!!!) lighthouse. i AM insane.

i used a hair dryer to heat up and remove all of the interior stairs. not fun or easy, but got 'er done. [is there an easier way?] i pried some of the windows out and bought some really good, TINY brushes for those i gave up on.

i'm still pondering the new color scheme. what to go with the blue?? and more importantly, what will be the easiest to change... i got the railings off in one piece--YES! they are black though. i may leave them black.

LIGHTING QUESTION for anyone (on any house)

the top floor has a hole in the ceiling. in this case, for the lighthouse light and cord to run into the upper/top area. anyway, i want a drop down ceiling light there...where the hole is... :( any ideas on how to cover the hole so it's secure enough to run electricity to? oh me.

*looking at my lighthouse*

I just checked out mine and if you want a ceiling light it looks like you'll have to make a false ceiling. I'd use foamcore. The beacon light cord is covered by molding but it's not flat. Or you could hang it from the molding covering on the cord.

*looking at my lighthouse*

I just checked out mine and if you want a ceiling light it looks like you'll have to make a false ceiling. I'd use foamcore. The beacon light cord is covered by molding but it's not flat. Or you could hang it from the molding covering on the cord.

thank you for the suggestions! i'll report back when i've done enough to photograph.

• 10 months later...