can stain make you sick

tracibobs

ok so im not sure what is going on but i use the little yellow cans of miniwax stain and i kid you not everytime i stain the floors or anything else within in maybe an hour im throwing up and am very sick it has happend twice so far and i really want to work on some minis this weekend but im worried about geting sick.

I dont think its the brand or anything can it be the fumes and smell doing it im at a loss.

Thanks

Tracibobs

Certain smells make me feel sick too Traci. I for one don't like certain smells and I'll get a bad head ache. You can stain wood and stuff using watered down paint (We do this when we do classes at shows cause the fumes would be too bad if everyone used regular stain). Take t easy and listen to your body :D I hope you feel better soon :whistle:

thanks for the advice if it only happend once i would not think anything of it but twice really made me think about it being the stain i wounder if it would help if i wore one of those white masks that covers your nose and mouth.

It's never made me sick, but the smell of polyurethane makes me gag. I try to use paints, stains and such in a well ventilated area if possible. I also like Tracy's idea of watered down paint, a lot less fumes that way! Take care and I hope you feel better soon and can still mini. :whistle:

Yes, it can make you sick. You may have a sensitivity to an ingredient or the fumes, or even developed a sensitivity over time even if you've used the same brand with no ill effects.

In this sort of case, I would use it outdoors, perhaps wearing one of those paint masks you can get at the paint or hardware store. It could be the brand, you can try another, but I still think you should use it outdoors with a mask. There's a reason they tell you to use some of these stains and varnishes in well ventilated areas.

I try to stain outside as much as I can, or in the basement - but usually in the bathroom with the window open. You could have an allergic reaction to it. Other than that, if you drink it, you will defintely be sick!

Sure can make you sick!! Just ask my hubby! He used to custom paint cars, motorcycle tanks, helmuts...always had a headache with bronchitis type symptoms. Long story short - not only can he not be around even basic household paints, nail polish, some cleaners bother him also. 'Bother' is a poor word, basicly, he can't breathe. (also caused severe pain, urinating blood, seizures, etc.) Those nasty little side effects will get you all the time! He was told it was isosyanates (I know that is spelled wrong) in the paint. He went from an awesome paying job, down to working minium wage at Best Buy going through school for a new career.

Stains have never bothered me, but I do always make sure to work in a well ventilated area. I hope you feel better Traci, and perhaps it was just a coincidence after all. If not, watered down paints (as Tracy already mentioned) and ink can do an awesome job too.

Sorry to hear about your husband, Audra - I hope he will find another career that makes him happy.

Thanks for all the ideas and kind words you just never think of something as simple as stain making you sick i'l try the mask and outside and see what happens i hope that that works i dont want to be sick again the last two times it happend i was throwing up uncontrolable all night and early morning not very fun

You could have a sensitivity to it. Gloves, mask, and lots of circulation of air and you will be okay. If after you do all that and you still feel sick, you may have developed a chemical allergy. But let`s not put the cart before the horse.

Tell us how you do.

Are you using the water based stain or oil based? That might make a difference. I don't think the fumes from the waterbased variety are quite as volatile. But that said, Traci, if you are having such a strong reaction, throw the can away (properly, when your garbage district has a toxic chemicals collection day). Forget about using it at all. The only mask that might help is a very expensive rebreather and even then you're still subjecting your skin to the fumes and can absorb them. Your health is too precious to mess with a can of toxins.

Personally, I have a problem with an ingredient in inexpensive perfumes (Avon, for example), most room "fresheners", potpourri, scented candles, etc. I can't even shop in our local Hallmark store because of the fragrances. I get a splitting headache within seconds of stepping inside. I used to be a secret shopper for the store; had to quit, couldn't take it even once a month.

Kathie is right, one thing we learned after they figured out what was making my husband sick, is that not just a mask will help, as your body absorbs the chemicals. His was an extreme case, and there a few paints that don't bother him, but I don't paint when he is home, and I have to do it very early to make sure things are cleared before he gets home.

This happened about 6-7 years ago. He is now working at a Radiation Therapist (treating cancer patients w/ radiation) at Ford.

Sorry to hear about your husband, Audra - I hope he will find another career that makes him happy.

I cant stand the fumes of any products. Just the thought that Im breathing them in is enough to make me anxious and start feeling sick.

Thats why I use mediums and paints to make stains, varnish instead of poly, acryllics instead of oils based, etc. If you have to use the fumes, you have to be in a well ventilated area and mean VERY well ventilated, as in outside. Wear gloves and a mask.

Unfortunately, I dont have the option of going outside or Ill die of radiation because Im in Miami and if your not indoors, you melt from the heat.

Stains (and paints) contain volatile ingredients that can make you sick. When I stain I try to have a window open. DH has a mild allergy to vinyl, so every time we get a new piece of equipment (like the new travel trailer) we go through a round of headaches and stuffy sinuses, and I watch him for other SEs.

we'll i tried outside with a painters mask and i still got sick i got some on my hand and bumbed the can and some spilled on my right hand and sure enough later that night i was throwing up and my head was aching like mad so from know on my hubby said he would stain and poly for me what i need done.

Traci, get rid of that can or don't open it again. Even if you husband is using it, the fumes will be in the area. With your severe reaction, you really shouldn't be in the vicinity. And think about this: even when it's dry, it's still giving off fumes, so you'll be exposed every time you work on the dollhouse.

Put a coat of clear water-based polyurethane over whatever it is you've already stained to help seal off the fumes. Get another product to finish up any staining that still needs to be done.

This is your HEALTH, child ... don't mess with it!

<getting down off soapbox now>