Glencroft the Proud

cheherzad

Since Ive been working mornings and evenings this week, my time for "playing dollhouse" has been very limited. I've been putting up a wall or partition per day. Last weekend I copied all the directions onto color sheets, hole punched and put them into a binder for great organization. Everything was going great guns and I had begun to get quite a stiff neck from patting myself on the back. Then the second floor was ready to be "tacked" after "sliding in at a very steep angle without attaching to any part of the front." Okay, the hip bone is connected to the... You get the picture. Unfortunately the plans didn't have a picture of the "steep angle". I gingerly pushed it in, then shoved a bit harder, then pounded with my hammer. The thought crossed my mind (albiet briefly) that I could hop up on it and jump up and down, but by this time the awful sound of splintering began to come to my attention. I ceased and desisted, but sadly too late. I had undone my hard work of glueing and torn off part of a doorway. Mentally I pictured the steps to the trash barrel, but counted to ten instead and took deep breaths. I reglued, weighted, and set it to dry. Now I will sand the difficult parts some more and begin fresh tomorrow. With a lighter touch. :rofl::D

Oh Cheryl, I feel your pain! I don't think there is any dollhouse-related sound that I hate more than that oh-so-ominous "crrrrrraaccccccccck". I'm glad you were able to step away before any further destruction took place...as good as it felt in the moment, you probably would have regretted it in the morning!

I vaguely recall that "steep angle" caused the air in my workroom to resemble the bottom of an inkwell... No cracking, and I wound up doing it TWICE; once for the "dry fit and then again when I assembled it.

Actually, I almost had a disaster last weekend. My daughter and her dog, (boxer-pointer mix - about 80 lbs) came over. I wanted to show her my progress so put it on the table and plugged it in for her to see the lights. The dog walked through the cord. :thumbup: Thank god he only pulled it out (bent prongs) but didn't pull the whole doll house onto the floor. I think I would have cried! (and I am not a crier type). I was able to fix the prongs so the lights still work.

I had that cracking sound, and sinking feeling last week when I was working on my Linfield. Sometimes when things just don't seem to go together right, it's really easy just to yank something off. It's not a good idea! (In my case, it was the whole roof)!!! Luckily I didn't destroy anything.

A hammer!! Gasp. That is a builder friend of ours' solution to a lot of things that don't fit quite right. I grab it away from him and say 'bad builder'. I don't think I ever used a hammer on a dollhouse unless it was for a nail. Poor house. Did it glue up ok?

It is so comforting reading all the replies. Ironically I got this house to practice for a big house like the Beacon Hill. Ha, ha. I bought it second hand on Ebay. The pieces were all there, but the instructions have left something to be desired. They are bug eaten and in some cases unreadable. I took them to a copy shop thinking they would come up darker, and they did. But if something isn't there, the copy shop won't magically make it appear. I divided all the letters into separate sheets to simplify. Then I read them over about a zillion times. Good news, the second floor is on. Splintering wood has been repaired. Great lesson learned: Never rely on what makes sense over what directions say. I glued in two second floor front walls which seemed to be quite resonable. What wasn't reasonable was the huge gap of space between them. Consulting the diagram, I saw to my dismay that they were in upside down! I quickly scrambled to unmask, deglue, and reassemble with no gap. Ah the relaxing art of dollhouse constructing... :popcorn:

• 3 months later...

The hammer is the best tool you can have for building a dollhouse but you have to use it with caution or your house will become splinters. Ive always used a hammer on my builds but luckily havent had the crack noise yet. Ive graduated to rubber mallet though, just in case.