Changes to the Beacon Hill

ozzideb

Hi everyone, I used to be here ages ago, but I forgot my username etc lol, I am a blonde. Anyway I have rejoined. And would love to share my progress pics of my Beacon Hill. I did start a Willow a couple of years ago (not finished), but really wanted to build the Beacon Hill, it has been sitting in the cupboard for about 3 years.

I have made lots of changes. I hope it words out, if not polly filler works wonders lol.

First of all I have added a kitchen at one end, and moved the kitchen window out. and am making onother bay window for the front (under the verandah). The same size as the one on the other side of the house.

I have also extended the verandah to be a wrap around. I am not sure about how far to take itout, at the moment I have a cardboard template stuck on, as you can see in the pic. It goes out 5 inches, but I think I will bring it in an inch.

I am going to make more verandah posts to go around it.

And on the top will be a sun deck, with post and railings around it. I am not sure yet if I will attack the side wall with the jigsaw and create french doors, I will think about it lol, but there will be acces from the middle doors at the front (per say)

Also I am thinking about extending the other end, adding another room, and bring the bay window out to the front of that room, it will just have a flat roof, and possibly no window in the side where the bay is now.......Thinking thinking....lol.

Now I hope I can post these pics here, as I know you all love to see progress pics..... Here goes..

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/argweld/DSCF0220.jpg

New kitchen addition

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/argweld/DSCF0215.jpg

New floor of the kitchen.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/argweld/11.jpg

Front of the house.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/argweld/13.jpg

Cardboard template for new deck and verandah.

I would love comments or suggestions, and also I am having a hard time working out how to do the staircase......

Welcome back, Debra!

With a Beacon Hill coming up in the near future -- well, within this year, anyway -- I'm all eyes for suggestions. I really like what you're doing, especially extending the gallery.

I notice a glue gun in one photo, and what appears to be hot glue in the joints. Please tell us you're just using the hot glue to hold the bits in place while the REAL glue (carpenter's or some kind of white glue) dries or we'll have to call out the Hot Glue Police. :teary:

The hot glue is likely to deteriorate over time, causing serious structural damage to the house. So, step away from the glue gun, y'hear? :) ;)

Thankyou all for the welcome. And yes it is a hot glue gun, after reading here, the gun is being thrown away lol....eeeekkkkkk the glue gun police are after me lol. :) I have only done a couple of joints with it so far, mostly it is all dry fitted. :p

I was looking last night as you do, thinking as you do, and have come up with another idea......HELP :o

Well the second floor, with the mansard room......well :teary: I am going to add another room over the kitchen...YES you heard me, I am sure I can do it, I have sized it all up.... Plus I would get another room or a larger room on the third floor as well.

There is a member here that has completed a beaconhill and has added a kitchen with a deck, it is painted in a red colour with white trim. You know who you are lol.. :p Well I hope you dont mind but I played around with your pic to see what it would look like...

Here. Full credit to the owner of this house. It is spectacular. (original only has one room above the extension, I added another to see what it would look like, and removed the shutters).

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/arg...illextended.jpg

I am also taking the bay from the left side and adding a conservatory, as in another members house, I always wanted a conservetory, and have decided while I am going I may as well build the way I really want it, as I had to get it from the states at great postage cost to me a few years ago. ;) it took about 4 months to get here.

It will most likely be filled with plants as in a fernery, the bay will then go on the kitchen extension front window.

I am going to put a fence around the deck as well, and maybe make the front arched window square with french doors, I have all these wonderful ideas and have to decide now if I am going to go ahead with them before I do too much more to the house. :teary:

I have it all in my mind and am sure with patience I will be able to achieve all this. It is a big house anyways but when I finish it will really be a mansion. Say 12 rooms lol Lucky I have plenty of furnithure squirelled away lol.

As for colours I have no idea, I love the colours that you all have used, I particularly like the red colour of this one I have photoshoped, then I like the dark colour of the one that has the conservetory, I cant remember who's it was, but it is gorgeous.

I want to keep with the victorian style of colours though. I have found one that has I think been done with stucco and stained timber work, I am leaning towards that style..... :teary: Oh I just do not know yet lol.

Any way I am off to hubbys workshop to cut out the extension woodwork pieces. I will keep you all updated as I continue.. :p I am having the best time with this, and want to end up not saying I wish I had done that to it after I complete it......I read that if you can dream it you can do it.....

Cheers Deb in Australia.

Hi Deb, wow, its been years since you've been here. Your username was debra. I remember you had a store that was called debs-designs & delights or something like that. Over the years I have mentioned you to others who were working on the Willow and often wondered if you had finished yours. I also recall how badly you wanted to do a Beacon Hill. Welcome back!

Thankyou for the wonderful replies. I have done a little more to my Beacon Hill today. The verandah extension is just sitting there as is the roof, so if it looks crooked that is because it is lol......Not glued yet. The cats have moved in already.

I have nearly finished assembling the kitchen window, I have stained it with Burnt Sienna artist oil paint mixed with linseed oil, ( that is all I had) should last forever lol, also I have sanded till my fingers are raw. I want it to look as smooth as I can get it. (the windows) Also I have painted the side wall in a colour called linen, just to see waht it looks like, ( I like it) I think I may stucco the whole house lol, or put the siding on as per instructions and paint that, not sure yet. The colour is a sort of buttermilk cream really antique looking....I love the colour.

Also another delima I have is will I staircase it or not. I have seen one done without it, and it looks really good. The dolls would have to morf themselves up though. I do not relish the idea of making the staircase, even though I do like it, but I think I like it with out better???? decisions decisions any input on this would be taken on board.

Pics below.....

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/arg...randahadded.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r81/arg...Colourcheck.jpg

I will have to have a day off tommorrow as I have to go have an exploratory operation on my back eeeeekkk not looking forward to that.. It is called a discectomy... :bounce8:

So till next time cya later...

Cheers Debra.

Welcome back, Debra! I remember you! You can hit your hot-glued joins with a hair-dryer to get them apart & scrape off the hot glue. I rehabbed a Laurel last year that had been built with hot glue & was mostly falling to pieces. Some people have no problems with hot glue, but when the problems do occur & the house falls apart it isn't worth the grief.

You can turn your links into pictures by going back and doing a "quick edit" to your post, highlight the link and copy it, hit the image icon and paste it: DSCF0220.jpg and then delete the duplicate link.

Hello and welcome! Sounds like you are going gung-ho on this dollhouse of yours! Great job! HOLLY! Is that a GLUE GUN I see in yourpicture? BLECH!!!!!! Sixty lashes with a wet noodle!
Bad Wolfie!!! Down, Girl, and get that nasty wet noodle out of my face, if you'd check out Debra's links you will see that is HER picture, ergo HER glue gun! Fie and for shame! Just for that you bring your own #!!*&# flea powder to the next party!

Hi there. I have had so much trouble with my new user name, so I have remembered my old user name thanks to some other members. I hope that now I can put pics into my gallery and start to share some more eye candy for you all to see my progress on the Beacon Hill.

I have the additions added and some cladding on it, I will put pics in my new post.

My user name is just plain Debra....lol

I can not believe it was back in 2005 that I first joined the group WOW how time flys. I started the build the Willow, but could not get into it, as I dearly wanted a Beacon Hill. It finally arrived, so I am going to build this one then finish my Willow.

I will start a new post topic if that is ok with everyone. I will know where to go to add to it lol.

Kind Regards Debra from Australia.