Great Brick Tutorial

madhatter

That is bloody brilliant! I'm going to keep that in mind. I'm sure my Beacon Hill wouldn't weigh the 1/2 ton it weighs if I had used that technique instead of the real terracotta brick sheets.

My gosh, the flags and other rocks look amazing. Thanks for sharing that!

That is really cool! But tell me, where do you get the cardboard egg cartons? All I ever see are those nasty styrofoam ones! :rolleyes: This looks like a good project for my BH landscaping.

Teresa, I used them to cover the outside of my Edison a while back. But I used those trays that you get to carry coffee or milkshakes from the fast food stores. They are larger and you can get more pieces out of them than the egg cartons. It was my first time using them and of course, I should have grouted first and stuck them in rather than the other way around.

Wow thanks for the tutoral. I can't decide if this or paper clay would be better. Both look great. I was just about ready to make bricks from paper clay for my Arthur but now I might just think about this.... :rolleyes:

Teresa, I used them to cover the outside of my Edison a while back. But I used those trays that you get to carry coffee or milkshakes from the fast food stores. They are larger and you can get more pieces out of them than the egg cartons. It was my first time using them and of course, I should have grouted first and stuck them in rather than the other way around.

Oh, Wendy, that's a great idea! I'll have to start collecting them. Do you think they'd mind if I started asking for a tray when I get my drink with my Happy Meal at McDonald's?! LOL!! They might think I'm a little crazy, but what the heck! :rolleyes:

What kind of grout do you use Wendy? Oh, and that's a great idea . . . grout first, stick in brick . . . got it!

I used them too on the bottom of my Orchid...It took some doing since most eggs come in styrofoam, but I did find them and I only needed about 2 of them...I have several extra bricks left and a few more egg cartons...so I think that the exterior of my Primrose record shop is going to be brick...that is if I ever past

the planning stage.

It was my first time using them and of course, I should have grouted first and stuck them in rather than the other way around.

But wouldn't the grout get painted brick color?

Also ... Am wondering whether it would make sense to sponge paint the container with the various brick colors BEFORE you cut them out? I think you'd get random color bricks without having to paint them individually (or sponge) them after they're glued down.

I had used polyfilla in the tube, but I hadn't painted the bricks because they already looked stone color and since they were from different donut shops and fast food restaurants such as McDonalds, they were all slightly different in color. Some were a pale terra cotta color, others were brownish and some were grey. I must say it was very tedious work cutting them out.

I have done several different techniques for bricks/stone. I use cardboard to make bricks ( like a cereal box) It was very easy because you can paint before and use a rotery cutter ( like quilter use) to cut the bricks so it goes quickly. You have to seal them. I'll do a tutorial if you want. I used plaster of paris for the grout and it worked really well. I have also used the styrofoam egg cartons for stones.

The bricks are on the hat shop and the egg cartons are on the castle. Both are in my webshots.

:p Loooove this thread as I am about to go past the planning stage and into actual putting together phase and I have been thinking of using this way of exterior decorating with the eggcartons as I still can't find a "local" supplier of paper clay. Not yet....

Hugs

Oh wow!! What a great idea..I had an egg carton last week and left it out for a few days thinking that It could be used for something..but got tired of looking at it and threw it away ...

If I had only known.

I wanted to do a stone thingy on the bottom of my Orchid and bought some very small stones, but was still trying to figure out how to apply, BUT, now I know what I am doing..egg cartons..I have the chalk and sealer..just need the egg carton or carryout containers..off I go to buy a hamburger!!

thanks for that link..loved it!!

Mini makings certainly allows one to ask for things that otherwise would have been discarded, like those take-out trays and I had a friend who asked her "nurse" friend to bring home some of those lovley pressed cardboard (unused LOL) containers one uses at the hospitals if one feels sick???? Those have a lovley texture and the right base colour for making excellent stones.... :p

Hugs

Finished the last of the eggs this morning! Going to try this out this weekend on the flooring in the Marquam Hill Mansion Library. (by the french doors)

LOL! You have such patience! I probably would have hardboiled the whole dozen and run off with the carton!