victorias farmhouse, newbie confused!!!

lynnsusan

I am building my first house and it is a RGT victorias farmhouse. I would like to put an office on the second floor and use the other side (with the bay ) for a master bedroom and bathroom. I am confused as to where everyone gets additional walls. I do not have a table or jigsaw so I dont know how to go about getting more walls (some with doors cut out). I would like two additional walls from RGT like the ones that divide the first and second floor. Do they do this can I order more walls? I am so stuck, I really don't want to walk directly into the living room so I would like to make a hall and I am frustrated with trying to get a master bath in without totally blocking the master (by the bay) although I will have that side swing out wall to view from.

I would love some help I have sat staring at this house all day and everything I try has issues with it! I have run it by my 10 year old daughter who actually is quite helpful and have tried explaining this to my DH however as supportive as he is I think he is starting to get concerned when I start talking about the family living in the house and their needs. LOL

So anyone please if you have any advice as to where to get more walls and how or any great ideas for the floorplan I would love any and all help!!

thanks!!

thanks for the help! Greg, I looked at your gallery your houses are awesom! I did not see a victorias farmhouse, if you have any pics of your master bath in the front could you let me know where to find them. How did you cut the plywood from Michaels?

thanks

I am currently working on this house as well, and I made my own extra walls.!! The house is not thrilled with the living room window..... but will have to deal with it now.!

I used MDF I purchased at the Home Depot. but you can use foam core, and cut it with a utility knife.

Kellee

I believe I read somewhere's that Home Depot will cut wood for you (don't know about ultra thin plywood)...but they only make straight cuts, meaning they will not cut out windows, doors, etc.

The first 3 cuts are free, then each cut after is $1.00 per cut. Might be something you could check out anyway...hope this helps

Chris

I make my extra walls from foamcore, like in the Magnolia; or DH cuts them for me, as in Pearl, the Laurel rehab. I also cut my smaller 1/8" plywood pieces with my Stanley utility knife, which is what I use for a craft knife.

I dont know why the foam core idea bothers me. My friend and I both started with our houses at the same time. We are both now happily obsessed! I wish that I could wrap my mind around using foamcore (she feels the same way) I think we feel like it wont be a "real house" unless the walls are wood. I wish someone could help me to change my mind because it would be so much easier to use the foamcore. The woman that owns the dollhouse store in town keeps telling us that everyone she knows uses foamcore. For some reason we have a mental block to this idea.

Will it help if I show you the bashes I've done with foamcore? Unless your little people come to live at night and have very physical fights & throw things, I doubt you'k know the difference, and I promise you one of those little Chrysnbon skillets, no matter how hard the little person throws it, won't camage your foamcore wall the way some nextdoor neighbors we had did when she threw her iron skillet at him & it hit their wall & almost came though into our apartment! (I hollered at her that if she didn't improve her aim or the skillet came through the wall I was going to hit her with it! so she broke his arm!)

The dividng wall downstairs in the first Sugarplum I ever built: med_gallery_8_76_119947.jpg

Here's the dividing wall I made for Maggie, which is hinged: med_gallery_8_988_224225.jpg

I also used foamcore for the livingroom windowseat.

I haven't had any problem with warping. I also use 1/8" thick foamcore with which to bash. I used siding strips on the divider wall in Maggie, to match the rest of the overall interior wall treatment, as I did in the Coventry Cottage; but in the Sugarplum, the Westville and the other houses I've done I just used wallpaper or paint without seeing any warping.

I like to use foamcore to thicken the walls to my houses to fit repalcement doors and windows better, and the thicher wals are more realistic to me. :thumb:

That's a good idea. Do you spread the glue all over the side you are going to stick like you would wallpaper paste? Thickening the walls is better than trying to frame a door or window that sticks in too far. I'll have to try it in my next 1/8 inch house. :)