Whitney Tiffani

MistyStarz

Hi Everyone,

I remembered seeing a dollhouse kit 10 years ago that a friend of mine had and never put togather. I called to see if she still had it. She did and she gave it to me. It is the Tiffani by Whitney. You can see a picture of the box at my link below. She paid $7.77 for whe she bought it. Now I see on a website, the same package kit, and it lists for $150 and they sell it for $120. I was shocked when I saw this. My question is... When I make this house, what will help keep the value of the house. Do I need to paint it the colors that the box shows? Any advice you can give me on how to keep the value of a house is appriciated.

Thank you! :lol:

Robin

http://mistystarz.myphotoalbum.com

Wow, I'm surprised anyone would be trying to sell a Tiffani for $120! On eBay, Tiffani kits typically close for under $20, and no seller is asking more than $30.

The value of an unbuilt kit is different from the value of a built house. People buy the kit because they want to build the house, so out-of-production kits can command more money than they did when new. The Tiffani was made in huge quantities for a fairly long time, which is one reason that there are always a few on eBay, keeping prices down.

Different people buy a built house either for display or as a toy. (There's also a market for hobbyists who buy dilapidated houses to restore, but that won't affect you.) For the Tiffani, the purpose is probably display as a holiday house or whatever. So value will be affected by four factors:

1. The quality of the build. The house must not look shoddy.

2. How well the finishes reflect current decorating trends or a popular style of fantasy setting.

3. That a key finish looks difficult to do, so most people won't want to buy a comparable kit and try it themselves.

4. That there are few competitors doing something similar.

What I haven't heard of is collectors who will pay top dollar for the house built exactly as on the box. There are definitely people who build (or pay to have built) a house just like the photo on the box, but that's because the image caught their imagination rather than because it increases value.

Okay, I found someone on Rubylane who was trying to sell a built Tiffani for $325. That's... um... optimistic to a starry-eyed degree. It's listed as a kit from 1950-1970, which would make it rare, since there weren't any die-cut house kits in the 1950s! (Oops!) While it's difficult to judge from a small photo, the finishes don't look unusual enough to justify that kind of price for a house that's small and relatively easy to find.

Just because someone out there is asking a price, that doesn't mean they'll get it. I visit antique shops that have had the same pieces on display for 10 years.

Ooohooohoooh, she told us where she saw it! :lol:

My... that site has... interesting ideas about how kits are valued. He sometimes has items no one else does, but it's a good reminder that if you aren't just going to a local dollhouse store, it's wise to shop around.

Just a tip but it is always good to check ebay for houses. I have gotten a few for less than I would have spent at a shop, even after shipping. Very often people will sell a kit they have lying around for very little just to get rid of it. :lol:

This is true for furnature and kits too. Just be careful of shipping costs and always compare.

Hi Misty,

Dollproperties has some interresting prices - and some interresting ideas about what makes a kit go up in value - Personally (and this is absolutely my own opinion) if it's in a box sitting in on a shelf for all those years then it's not worth much to the owner. I'm of the opinion that something is only worth something if it's used, loved, decorated, - in short Appreciated :D But like you I had the same worries when I started to put together my first house. It was the Laffeyette which I got in a box, sealed still at a garage sale for a buck - even though it's not a pricey kit even brand new I was afraid I would ruin it. I was afraid it would be worth less assembled than if I just left it in the box for someone who would know what they were doing - boy was I wrong! I have had more fun doing things that I had No Clue what I was doing and you know what? It's turning out pretty good! :( I'm really happy with my progress so far - And if something can be done wrong.. I'm the guy who can do it wrong!! :lol:

So if I was to give advice..( which I sometimes do, even when I shouldn't) - decide how you want the house to look. Do you want it to look like the box? Do you wish something were different about the house? Maybe a fireplace where a window is.. or vice versa? If you could make anything at all happen to that house what would it be?... then ask away all the questions you need to in order to make your house look like your dream!! Cause it can be done :D And when you're finished you can have a truly one of a kind house that is all yours - or you can make it to look exactly like the photo on the box - what ever You want it to be :D

-David

Thanks Dave, I like opinions, views, and advice. I'm working on a log cabin that was part done. But I am adding extra's to it. So that leaves me a bit frustrated as a newbie. So the first kit house I build is going to be the Lafayette too!!! Then I will go on to my friends house. I find that I love this and my husband is already buying me new tools to help with things! I guess as long as I make them what I like, then I will enjoy them the most!

Thanks!

Robin

If they are built nice, it doesn't matter if anything about it is original.
Actually when you build a kit to suit yourself, EVERYTHING about it is original! IMHO this is what gives the dh value, not how long the kit sat on someone's shelf gathering dust.

as long as I make them what I like, then I will enjoy them the most!

I believe you're getting the hang of this whole mini thing :blink:

Hey Dean, how you doin? ;)

If that's the same Tiffany I'm working on I'm doing it As a Santa's Cottage! :blink: One thing I do find confusing is when different makers give their houses the same name.. If I'm reading this right (and I may very well not be <sigh>) Whitney made a Tiffany, Greenleaf made one and also Artply? The one I'm working on is an old Artply Tiffany. I think it's going to make a Super Santa's Cottage!

-David

Doin well David! Its all the same house. There was some sort of affiliation between Artply and Whitney. Greenleaf Products purchased the Artply line back in 1993 and we retain the rights to all their houses. I don't know if you remember the Tennyson, but that was from the Artply acquisition as well. Who's name is on the box that your working on?

Dean

Hi Dean,

The name on my box is "Artply Co., Inc." and below that it says in big letters "Tiffani". I wish I could say I remember the Tennyson, but I'm still a relative newcomer to miniatures - just the last couple of years - it definitely is addicting ;) - in the good way :blink:

-David

Well I know that there is one around here that has the Whitney name on it, but I don't remember if the ArtPly's name was on it too. No big deal. I never really gave the house serous thought since we have so many other houses around that size... maybe I need to take a second look!

Thanks!

Dean

if it's in a box sitting in on a shelf for all those years then it's not worth much to the owner. I'm of the opinion that something is only worth something if it's used, loved, decorated, - in short Appreciated

David, it's funny you say this. You could never collect Barbie dolls (Or any dolls for that manner) :blink::p and expect them to go up in value if they are out of the box and displayed for a period of time. I HATE that too ;) . I have collected barbie dolls for about 16 years now (when my son turned 1 year old I became a collector LOL).

It's funny how these doll collectors feel about the dolls. If the box has wear and tear they want to see pictures of it to determine the price (Because the worse the wear is even on the box, they deduct from the value).

It is very hard to appreciate the dolls when they stay in the boxes. A doll out of the box can cost $15 even though it may have been displayed in a display case. The same doll Never taken out of the box, can go for hundreds of dollars.

Dollhouses though are not the same way (Except in rare cases).

This is why I started selling my doll collection little by little a few years ago. They are not worth much when they are taken out of the box. A dollhouse can be built and sold for more than the kit was worth.

I LOVE this hobby cause I can as you say appreciate it OUT of the box :D .

Doin well David!  Its all the same house. There was some sort of affiliation between Artply and Whitney.  Greenleaf Products purchased the Artply line back in 1993 and we retain the rights to all their houses. 

*hyperventilates*

Does that mean you own the rights to the Highland? It has been issued by both SkilCraft and Artply... I don't know who had it last.

That's a kit that sells for big bucks, even if it's years old... $200-$300 on ebay, and it hardly ever comes up. I would LOVE to get my hands on one but I'm not willing to pay that price for a kit that's so many years old... who knows what condition the wood is in (even if it's been stored well). But man, if it were rereleased and/or I ever find one for cheap at a yard sale or thrift shop, watch out. :blink: I'm a fan of modern houses... I like the Highland even better than the Brookwood.

Emily, I knew that this house was going to come up ;) !! Yeap, this house ALWAYS sells for at least $199 everytime it's listed on ebay.

It's a really nice house with a garage too! I found one for $119 but the box had water stains on it and I was afraid the wood would be too brittle since the kit is old too. :blink: .

The owner would not let me open the box to check either (it was still factory sealed with the huge staples in it).

I am not willing to spend $200 for it either but would buy it for sure if it became available again on the market. :D

Hi Misty,

Personally (and this is absolutely my own opinion) if it's in a box sitting in on a shelf for all those years then it's not worth much to the owner.  I'm of the opinion that something is only worth something if it's used, loved, decorated, - in short Appreciated :blink:      -David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! Well, you knew I was going to have another view here, didn't you? I am one of those that LOVES getting ahold of those old kits and building them--the older they are, the better I like them. Just one of mine and Jimmy's wacky little character flubs. However, what I pay for a kit depends on how bad I want it. Jimmy tends to spend more money than me--I'm kinda stingy.

Misty, the others' comments are correct--you should shop around on ebay, etc., and see what things cost before you commit to buy. Also, you've got us to help you too!

Greenleaf Products purchased the Artply line back in 1993 and we retain the rights to all their houses. 

Dean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh really now! So, tell me about that Barrington (Artply). I'm also looking for that Highland too.

(Tracy, did you see my eyebrows go up and ears perk?)

Well I know that there is one around here that has the Whitney name on it, but I don't remember if the ArtPly's name was on it too.  No big deal.  I never really gave the house serous thought since we have so many other houses around that size... maybe I need to take a second look!

Thanks!

Dean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In regard to the Tennyson, I can answer this one, since my Tennyson had Greenleaf, Whitney, and Radmark International names on it. I have also seen the Tennyson with just Artply on it.