input

I was in the attic the other day and came upon my first dollhouse. It was built for me by my great grandfather and I got it for Christmas when I was around 6 or so.I was young enough I can't remeber getting it but I remember the dolls were like little barbies about 3/4 scale and everyone got me plastic furniture sets for it. After a heated argument with my grandmother about the thought of remodeling this dog house style dollhouse( she thinks I should leave it the way her Dad made it) I have desided that as it would look to me I would be thrilled to see my greatgrandaughter take a simple shell of a toy I had made her as a child and turned it into another pleasant memory as an adult. I would like to see if you all agree on this. I will descibe it to you.....

framed like a dog house,up stairs and down stairs,no stair case, no deviding walls, no windows or doors, no front. It is a box with a roof. I want to put windows in, build a front with porch maybe put an add on. put siding, roofing, all that. Do you see this as a good or bad idea?

Well first of all it is your house and you have to live with it.

That being said I think it would be nice to update it. You are just taking his idea and finishing it. I like that youare keeping the basic structure the same. I wouldn't want to change it so much you loose the origin of the house, but some updates will really make it shine and add your touch to it for when/if you pass it on.

I think before you do anything at all...take photos.

make sure you have all of it just the way he did it on file and than decide how you want to do it.

ask your grandmother to help you...not to change it but to expand on what her father did for you out of love. I think it is wonderful you have this gift from your Great- grandfather.

I remember mine...I have a couple of memories of him as he passed when I was quite young.

I hope she comes around and realizes by making changes to make the house more modern you are honoring him...perhaps the stuff available now was not available then.

if not just do it and enjoy...better the gift be loved than neglected!

just MHO

nutti :flowers:

ask your grandmother to help you...not to change it but to expand on what her father did for you out of love. I think it is wonderful you have this gift from your Great- grandfather.

Ditto what Nutti said :flowers:

I don't know what your ultimate plans are for this house, but if I were to come across a house that my great-grandfather had made for me when I was a little girl, I would want to take what he started and expand upon it - and would probably create a theme in the house that would honor him - i.e., if he was in to gardening, I would create a garden scene to go along with the house with a grandfatherly type tending to the garden, if he enjoyed building dollhouses, then maybe a hobby room somewhere in the house, etc.

Perhaps if you explain to your grandmother that you are not wanting to change his gift, just expand upon it and bring it to it's full potential to honor him she would be less apt to be upset with the idea. She might also welcome the opportunity to share with you her memories of him and the things that he enjoyed. Once she was comfortable with the idea that you want to bring out the house's full beauty/potential - she just might have all sorts of opinions on how to "help" you do it!

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto what Nutti said.

Now, once you have photos, if updating the house allows you to display and enjoy it, rather than storing it in an attic, then updating it honors your grandfather's memory more than not-updating it. He built it for you to enjoy, right? You enjoyed it as it was when you were little -- clearly it contributed to your interest in the hobby now -- and now you want to refurbish it as a way of remembering how much he meant to you back then.

If you'd inherited a real house that your grandfather had built 20+ years ago, you'd be replacing the roof, replacing carpeting, and repainting (at minimum) because houses need work over time.

I think improving and changing a house is how you show it love. From a collecting stand point, a house becomes more $ valuable when changes are documents. The endless changes made by parents and grandparent and hopfully later by your kids make a family ownd house PRICELESS.