=o( with lights - please give me a hand

Howdy from Texas- I am building my first house- the westville. What is the easiest way to wire a light that has to be installed directly to the ceiling, with no cap (with the brads attached)

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...try&id=8321

the instruction book suggests : make 2 holes on the wire, put the stripped wire connecting to the light in the holes, pound the brads in the same holes. Are there easier instructions with pictures somewhere that you can show me please? thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

are you trying to add the light your referenced with the link?

could you use one of those new adapters? the light plugs into the adapter and than pokes into the tape wire. I wouldnt use them with a hanging light but one like that would work well.

I wish I could be more help....but Im reall new at lighting and usually defer to the DH to make it all work.

good luck

nutti :unsure:

Welcome to the forums. I hope you find the answer you need for your lighting problem. It sounds like it is the way I did the lighting in my Glencroft. I took the plugs off of the end of the wire. I stripped the wire a tad and made sure I had enough exposed wire to wrap around a brad. I did this for both brads and then soldered to secure it even more. Oh, please check the lights before you solder. :angry: I wont mention why I know to do this. :unsure:

hello, and welcome!

the Westville is a lovely house, and i hope you're having fun -- aside from the lighting quandary, that i hope is now resolved.

so, might you tell us a bit about yourself? and how and when did you decide to build the house?

looking forward to your posts.

:unsure:

HiThere and Welcome to the Neighborhood!! I used hardwire on the Westville I built but Darrell & Melissa tapewire how too is wonderful. So wonderful, in fact, that I have started using tape wire to solder the hardwire to at the base of my houses. I am so happy we have an electrician in our neighborhood :unsure:

Hello and welcome! This is the place to come when you need help. I know the folks here have saved my "you know what" many times, and many of them didn't even know it! Lighting for me is very hard. Fortunately my helper helps in that department! You know, being a natural blond wolf and all that.....

Wolfie.....

Welcome to the forum, Rain. The Westville is the first GL kit I ever built to look the way it does on the box, because that's what my customer for it wanted. The Magnolia is the second, but I built it undecorated and now I've taken off all the trims and begun the bashing and decorating to make it look the way it has told me it wants to look. I look forwark to pictures of yours to see what it wants to be.

I am very grateful for your help and the link of darrellpayne. Thank you. Thank you.

I'm so glad I was able to help - of course, Darrell and Melissa did all the work, I don't know the first thing about lighting a dollhouse! Thanks, Darrell and Melissa, for enabling me to help Rain!

Hi Rain,

Welcome to the forum.

Did you say you were from Texas? Where in Texas?

I live in Texas too.

I am also working on my first house. Very slowly...Work & other stuff gets in the way.

Marilyn

I appreciate all of the welcomes. I live in Justin TX - near Fort Worth, 30, married almost 2 years, no kids, no pets. Last year my husband and I went to Portugal and visited a toys museum. Since I grew up in Vietnam, this was the first time I saw a dollhouse. It was love at first sight... I went from one dollhouse site to another. I considered the Laurel at first because people say it's easy to put together. Then I saw the bay windows, the stairs, and the little closet of the westville. I knew it was going to be a challenge, but such is life right? it's all about problem solving. My husband bought it for me for Christmas and got his parents to buy me the Furniture 6-Room Complete Set - meant to be temporary furnitures until I figure out what I want. I started punching wood Christmas night...

I am in school and also not sure of what I am doing so things take place very slowly. I am not technology savvy either- Not sure how to upload pictures- I finally found a dollhouse shop in Dallas- so many cute things there- I drooled. I reallly enjoy the amazing and fantastic work you guys put together. My family thinks that this is a silly hobby I have picked up and that they predict that this is not for me but rather it's a first sign to motherhood. What do you think?

Regardless, I am very happyand excited. I have so much to learn. Thanks for your support. I am planning to paint a cream/off white color for the siding and the window trims white. I might go with a brown for the trim of the shutters. Not sure what color to use on the door, red or white? hm...

I have one question about paint:

1. Should the paint be covered with anything else on top or should I just leave it as is after a few coats?

2. this is for the future, I am concerned about the furnitures getting dusty. I see at the store that they cover the back of the house with clear glass/plastic. Is this a good idea? What do you guys do? Is there a way to do this but still can access the furnitures when I want to play with them?

I look forward to your replies. Thank you.

Peace,

Rain

My family thinks that this is a silly hobby I have picked up and that they predict that this is not for me but rather it's a first sign to motherhood.
Is this your family, or your husband's family, Rain? If you check out the internet there are a lot of forums (especially the Yahoo groups!) and while the occasional young person may join, we are for the most part adults and this forum has quite a few grandparent-aged members, too.
Should the paint be covered with anything else on top or should I just leave it as is after a few coats?
Unless you put it in direct sunlight most of the day you shouldn't need to put anything on the paint. If you put it in direct sunlight it can fade the colors, so you'll probably want to keep it where it's in shade.
I am concerned about the furnitures getting dusty. I see at the store that they cover the back of the house with clear glass/plastic. Is this a good idea? What do you guys do? Is there a way to do this but still can access the furnitures when I want to play with them?
I don't do anything, because I play with mine often enough that just handling the things knocks off the dust.

If it's very dusty where you are you can draw a pattern around the shell of your house after it's assembled and have a piece of lucite cut to fit. You can glue strips of velcro to the sides of your house and to the lucite to hold it in place when you aren't moving things around.

You can also get pieces of channel molding to fit the thickness of the lucite and attach a strip of that to each side of the house so that you can slide the lucite cover up & down, and attach another strip of the molding to the top of the lucite so you can put a handle on it to pull it up and open the house, or let it slide down when you put it away.

You could also do like the English front-opening houses and hinge one side and put an eyelet in the other side and attach a hook latch to the side of the house opposite the hinged side and open & close the lucite.

Thank you for the suggestions about the paint and the cover. I will save that information until it's needed. Do these postings get removed when they are long? It's my family that thinks I am silly, but they really don't have any hobby. I am estatic that I've come across this hobby. My mother in law still has her own tint house which I will get to see this weekend. She is looking forward to seeing the final product. After reading the blogs, I asked her to give me one year. This hobby is wonderful and so rewarding. I get so happy working on the house. I read that as people travel they collect different items from these places. That will be me. I am excited. Is it too early for me to already think about my next house? I am thinking the smallest size. Any suggestion? Thank you.

Until then,

Rain

Is it too early for me to already think about my next house?
NEVER! I always think about other houses I'd like to build, even as I'm opening the box to begin the current build.
I am thinking the smallest size. Any suggestion?
I have built the Butterup four times and the Sugarplum twice, and they are cute, small houses. I have bashed a third room on the Sugarplum, and quite possibly could do a fourth... I might also try for stairs if I do another.

I appreciate the suggestions. I will save that until the time comes... It's my family that thinks I am silly for picking up this hobby. I think it's wonderful and very rewarding. I get happy working on it. Instead of watching tv, sometimes I eat while looking at it to get ideas. I can't wait to put some lights up. I heard it looks very real. My mother in law is looking forward to my house being done. She still keeps her tint dollhouse when she was little. I will get to see it this weekend. From the blogs I've read, I asked her to give my house one year to be completed. I read that some people collect minis on their travels. I will start doing that, too. I am excited. You all make it easy to fit in here. Thank you.

Is it too early that I am already thinking about my next house while I just barely started on this one? I am thinking the smallest size. Any suggestion? I am probably getting a head of myself here. Thank you.

Until then,

Rain