My mini talk

prariegurl

We did our brown bag lunch talk today. It was a small turn out, eight attendees (out of 60 who work at our libraries), but the talk was well received.

Everyone really liked the minis that I had made. Crystal brought some of the things I had knit for her, and I took pics and added them to my gallery under "My Minis". She has not been collecting long, but has already added many pretty things to her collection. She is the blonde in the first pic.

Wanda has been collecting a long time. She has an eye for accessories, and has enough food to open a mini bakery, deli, grocery, and restaurant! She is in the second pic, and the third pic shows some of her foods.

Courtney has mostly recyled minis. She goes to thrift stores, consignment shops, and picks up things she finds in the trash and on the streets of Washington, DC. Unfortunately, she does not clean them well before using them. One concrete chunk she brought left a layer of dirt on the table. She brought a salvaged linen that was flithy, and Wanda freaked when she laid it on her bed. Wanda says that from the look of Courtney's things, she should add some mini cockroaches to her houses! Lastly, Courtney.

I'll add more pics in the next post!

post-306-1175726631_thumb.jpg

post-306-1175726754_thumb.jpg

post-306-1175726769_thumb.jpg

post-306-1175726944_thumb.jpg

Of the things I collected, they loved the hand-sculpted dolls that Annie Allred made for me. They are based on my grandparents, but more inspired by them, not mini replicas. The lady really looks a lot like Grandma. The man doesn't look much like Grandpa, but he is dressed like him!

Here is a crowd shot. There was some interest in getting into minis, I think. My supervisor is thinking of a dollhouse. Others were very interested in pets, and in Wanda's food.

As I said the crowd was light, 8 people and brown bags often draw 20 or so, but I was worried that there would be no one, so I was grateful for the 8. The level of enthusiasm was very high, and we all had fun.

Jeri

post-306-1175727086_thumb.jpg

post-306-1175727106_thumb.jpg

post-306-1175727201_thumb.jpg

Happy all went well for you, sounds like you had a fabulous time. I've shown some of my minis to my co-workers, and they are continually bringing me things,that they think I could make something out of. I enjoy that.

:shifty: congrats!!! on having a nice presentation and good audience.

what sorts of questions did people ask you?

was it what you expected?

i'm really glad you had a good time!

It looks and sounds like you had a really good time. I found one way to talk about minis to men is to mention museums, and the dioramas there. A guy friend of mine who was a little disparaging about my house (he's still my friend, though! :shifty: ) realized how much he enjoyed looking at dioramas at the local museum, so I compared my houses with that...and he was much more interested!

I could see little cockroaches poking out of corners of your friends collection. :ohyeah: I may have to think about that when I build my Emerson Row...so many cities have those critters, even under the cleanest of environments!

What fun! Looks like everyone really enjoyed themselves! When I used to work - what seems like an eternity ago, my dolls were on display. It was at a mental health center for children and the kids used to look at my dolls which were behind glass and it gave them something to do until the psychiatrist could get to them! Kept them occupied.

Because of that some of the mothers bought their kids dollhouses and such. The kids just loved visiting the office!