Door hinges

peggyquade

I need to attach the Pierce's front door and french doors and would like them to be working doors. I've seen the tiny brass hinges with the even tinier nails to use with the hinges but I'm just not that nimble fingered! Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this? I once tried instant glue with the hinges but it either didn't stick or glued the hinge solid and unmoveable. Help!

When Havanaholly sees this, she'll tell you all you need to know. I read a post of hers somewhere about this very question - but I can't remember exactly what she said! (Sorry, Holly.)

If you want to use the actual mini hinges, it is possible. I've made all my kitchen cabinets and china cabinet and they all have inset hinges. I usually curse like a sailor when I'm to this point. It helps to have tweezers, tiny drill, and some quick grap glue. Here's what I do...I take my tiny drill from the Circut electrical kit and use the sharp point to poke holes where they're supposed to be. Then I get a teeny tiny bit of Quick Grab (or Grip, can't remember which is it is) and glue the hinges in. Then I get my tweezers and insert the nails. The holes are already poked so it helps the nails go in easier. Like I said, there is much cussing going on when I'm doing this and usually lose both hinges and nails in the process. It's the most aggravating thing I've done in miniature.

I've used Havanaholly's method several times. Using chamois or a leather strip cut it about 1/2 inch long by 1/4 inch wide. Place it at the top and bottom of your door between the trim, glue it and clamp it until it is good and dry, leaving enough to glue to the inside of the doorway. Once it is good in dry then set it in the door and glue the other in to the doorframe and the trim and again clamp it very tightly.

I think her instructions is in one of her blogs, but right now I can't remember which one.

Also I have done the pin method. This is where you drill a tiny hole in the top and bottom of the door and the doorframe, insert a tiny nail or pin in the holes ( the bottom one you may have to plug so the nail won't fall out). The door then pivots on the pin. Lining up the holes is the hardest part. I show pictures in my Coventry Blog.

I used the hinges only in my Lily and they are really fragile, since then I only use them for looks and use one of these methods to actually make the door a working door.

Hope I haven't confused you.

I do remember that you have to be careful with the glue when installing hinges. Use the tiniest amount you can, as you want to avoid it travelling through the barrel of the hinge. This is how the hinges can end up glued tight and immoveable!

I've used the tape method, once I found brown duct tape.

For the Nuthouse I decided to make a pinned door. I drilled a small hole in the top and bottom corners of the door, corresponding to holes I also drilled in the threshold and the lintel over the door. I snipped the top off a couple of straight pins, then fitted them into the holes I drilled in the door. The pins then went into the holes in the lintel and threshols, then I glued everything into the doorway opening.

Works great. Scared me when I first did it, but it was easier than I thought it would be.

i used those tiny brass hinges... first i glued the hinge in place then i took a straight pin and "nailed" it to start the holes for the actual nails... i had to use tweezers to hold it in place while i was hammering. then i used the tweezers to steady the actual nail and hammered it in until it grabbed hold. it worked pretty well and my door works. its just unnerving when one of those nails goes flying into space!

I tried the hinges once on my first dollhouse and lost nails, temper, and threw the door across the room. Then I discovered pin hinging and I was very happy. I have tried the tape and wish I had used it on my Pierce BEFORE I made the doors......so I will use the pin hinging. Have to sand, have to sand, have to sand!!!!!!

Wolfie

• 3 weeks later...