My 23 yea old daughter is hooked!!!!

justmesue

I was just chating online with my 23 year old daughter. She HAS FALLEN in love with my houses! I believe a tab and slot, Greenleaf, would be the easiest build for her. I have promised to buy her, her first house, so I'm asking for your suggestions, on what would be the best one to get her? Any, and all suggestions will be appreciated! The girl can knit, sew, crochet, and she made me a 3 piece couch set for `Christmas. She needs her own house!

Mom to the rescue=with your help!

THANK YOU!

With your help it sounds like she could tackle any Greenleaf house. Why not let her choose. I think that way she would really be excited about the project. I know for myself not every style suits me and I wanted a large farmhouse that I am adding victorian trim to decorate. :whistle:

Since it's going to be HER house, I'd probably let HER decide. You might want to show her the options (Greenleaf style, RealGood toys, etc.), and maybe set a budget (since you're paying for it..and know how much all the accessories and add-ons can cost!), then let her choose. Each style has it's advantages and disadvantages. I'm personally in love with Greenleaf (I do have one RealGood house, but that will be the last of those...), but others like some of the other brands "best".

After that, I'd probably have her start small, and if she really DOES like this craft, she can always get a bigger one next time. (But then, I started on the Garfield, and don't regret it...except that I would have done her more justice if I'd started small and learned some of the skills I know have, on a smaller house, that would transfer to Lady Garfield!)

Suzanne, there are so many beautiful starter houses from Greenleaf to choose from but my choice would be the Orchid. It's an easy build and it's not overly large. I bought the White Orchid for my 28y old daughter for her first dollhouse quite awhile ago, she's still working on it but she went back to McMaster fulltime to finish her degree. Hopefully she'll get back to it once school is over. Let us know which one you decide on?

My suggestion would be one of the smaller Greenleaf houses. I have only built the Orchid so that is my favorite as a starter. The Arthur and Coventry Cottage are also so adorable though. Then there is the Astor Cottage, and Laurel, etc. I would show her a bunch of the smaller houses and have her pick one. I would guide her to a small one for the first one since it is quicker to finish.

I would let her choose :flowers: I'm just 21 myself and I fell in love with this hobby about 2 years ago. i was crazy and started out with the garfield and that was such a huge task! i would try to get her to start off with a smaller house :whistle:

I'm with everyone else, let her choose the one she'd like, set a budget (unless you don't mind her choosing a garfield :flowers: )...lets say of 100.00 dollars and let her choose. That gives her many many options to choose from really. I think it would be fun for her to choose her own house.

That is very sweet of you to do!

23-year-olds usually aren't settled in life yet, so I'd think in terms of a house that will go together fast, be easy to pack and move, and still be a full house with a kitchen and bath. You want a tab-and-slot kit because those are lighter to ship when fully built, so bringing the house along with her in life will be cheap and easy.

My first thought would be an Arthur because it is the easiest build on earth, it has large rooms, and it costs about $35 to send cross-country by Fedex Ground. Choice #2 would be the Orchid, which fits in the same size shipping box but has more sticky-outy bits to worry about wrapping. Both of these houses are about 13" deep and about 24" wide, which means it's possible to find inexpensive standard cabinets/shelves that will hold them, so your daughter can have her house blend in with her decor instead of being a major focal point, if she likes.

Because they're smallish, they're also reasonable to furnish extensively on a budget -- you run out of space long before you run out of ideas or cash.

wow, how great is that! :flowers:

this could be the start of a really fun series of projects for the two of you. oooh, how wonderful!

let us know what she chooses and how it goes, ok?

I think I'd let her choose as well. Introduce her to this forum and let her look through the Gallery to see the finished results of some of these houses.

How wonderful for you to have found someone to share your hobby with. I think that for all of us here that's the next best gift to getting the next house that we have on our list.

-Susanne

I have to agree with everyone else about letting her choose.

Peachie - I am ordering the Sugarplum to do my Irish house! Can't wait to get mine!

The Sugarplum is a nice little bitty house, but if this girl is casting longing eyes at mom's, definitely let her peruse all the pictures of the the Greenleaf and Corona Concepts houses to choose which one she wants, setting budget limits, if needed, and remind her she can always buy & build more kits as she gains skill and ROOM (although since when do we let trivial matters like that stop us?).

Thank You for your suggestions, and she picked the Orchid! I bought it today, and it's on it's way! I just emailed her, and let her know to start making minis. It's a done deal! I also said she should join the forum!

• 2 weeks later...